Article Image Alt Text

Photo by Kelly McMillen
Law enforcement vehicles cover an area near Holly Springs Intermediate School during the search.

Article Image Alt Text

James Antonio Sims Jr.

Article Image Alt Text

Photo by Sue Watson
Sheriff Kenny Dickerson examines part of the ankle bracelet that was recovered by a citizen and returned to the sheriff’s department.

Suspect surrenders to U.S. Marshals

James Antonio Sims Jr., 17, out on bond while awaiting proceedings on a murder charge, turned himself in to U.S. Marshals Thursday around 9 a.m., according to sheriff Kenny Dickerson.

He had cut off his GPS ankle monitor and was being pursued by authorities.

A manhunt took place in the afternoon on Wednes­day, Nov. 29, when Sims was identified as a passenger in a vehicle. He jumped from the car and fled on foot into the woods off Maury Street in Holly Springs, the sheriff said.

Sims is one of four suspects awaiting adjudication in the murder of Terry Jerome Bean Holloway on April 29 in the Meadows subdivision, according to police chief Dwight Harris.

Dickerson said Sims’ initial bond was set at $1 million, but a circuit court judge had reduced his bond to $50,000 and he was released November 6 under a judge’s order to wear a GPS ankle monitor.

Dickerson said the suspect had cut away his ankle monitor several days prior to the search.

Officers with the Holly Springs Police Department, DeSoto County Sheriff’s Department and K-9 Unit, and Marshall County Sheriff’s Department spread a net around the area of Maury, Moss Avenue and South Chesterman Street, in an intensive ground search for Sims.

During the search several schools, including Holly Springs Primary and Marshall Academy, and some businesses, including Christopher’s, went on lock down.

“He was identified as a passenger in a car driven by an unidentified female,” Dickerson said. “He jumped out of the car and fled on foot at a location near Hill Crest Cemetery and ran into a densely wooded area.

Officers believed that Sims had a handgun when he fled into the woods, but he was not armed Thursday when he was arrested by U.S. Marshals.

The ankle bracelet was found at a location on Robindale Lane off Hudsonville Road around 10 a.m. Thursday and returned to the jail, Dickerson said.

Sims was charged with violation of his detention order by cutting and destroying his ankle bracelet. He was ordered held without bond. Dickerson said he anticipates Sims will be held without bond until his day in court.

Sims’ father, Antonio Sims Sr., 39, remains in jail without bond, and Terry Louis Bolton, 18, of Holly Springs, and Cordarrius Hardin, 20, are also being held without bond in the Marshall County jail in connection with the shooting death of Holloway.

Bolton was out on bond on a charge of aggravated assault when he was arrested and charged with murder and his bond was revoked as was Hardin’s bond on a prior felony charge.

Initial TV news report in error

Dickerson said the initial television news reports broadcasted that Sims had escaped from the Marshall County jail.

Dickerson said that was not true and later the news media broadcasted a correction.

In fact, Sims was out of jail legally on bond with a condition that he wear the GPS device at all times until his court date.

“He became a fugitive after breaking the GPS off,” Dickerson said.

Dickerson thanked officers with the U.S. Marshals Service for assisting in the apprehension of Sims.

Holly Springs South Reporter

P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
PH: (662) 252-4261
FAX: (662) 252-3388

Web Archive