Election set; first primary Aug. 6
Let the politicking begin. Qualifying deadline was last Friday at 5 p.m., and the races are on go.
Forty-one make up the candidate list for various Marshall County offices.
Four incumbents are unopposed – county attorney Shirley Byers, tax assessor Juanita M. Dillard, tax collector Betty Byrd and coroner James Richard Anderson.
Longtime incumbents Lucy Carpenter, circuit clerk, and Ernest Cunningham, justice court judge south, are not seeking re-election.
The following is a list of candidates with political party (Democrat or Republican) after the names.
• Chancery clerk – incumbent C.W. (Chuck) Thomas (D), Jamarr “Jack” Walton (D).
• Circuit clerk – Monet Bell Autry (D), Patricia Penilton Glass (D), Belinda Sims Hollowell (D), Conway Robinson Moore (D).
• County attorney – incumbent Shirley Byers (D).
• Sheriff – incumbent Kenny Dickerson (D), William Lawson (R), Antjuan Lester (D).
• Tax assessor – incumbent Juanita M. Dillard (D).
• Tax collector – incumbent Betty Byrd (D).
• Coroner – incumbent James Richard Anderson (D).
• Justice Court Judge North – incumbent Mae Garrison (D), Terry L. Griffith (D), Jivaro “Bo” Jones (D).
• Justice Court Judge South – Cathy Elliott Brittenum (D), Kent B. Falkner (D), Gary K. Looney (D).
• Constable North – Leon Cothern (D), Joe Cunningham (D), incumbent Michael Perkins (D), Christopher Sisk (D).
• Constable South – Thomas “Tommy” Crouch (D), Falando Marion (D), Kenneth McMullen (D).
• Supervisor, District 1 – Don Cothern (D), Goston “Redd” Glover (D), Andre C. Jones (D), incumbent Charles Terry (D), Danny Warren (D).
• Supervisor, District 2 – incumbent Eddie Dixon (D), Glenn Payne (D), John I. Seldon Sr. (D).
• Supervisor, District 3 – incumbent Keith Taylor (D), Terry Rodgers (D).
• Supervisor, District 4 – Ricky R. Jones (D), Marvin Lucas (D), incumbent George Zinn III (D).
• Supervisor, District 5 – incumbent Ronnie Joe Bennett (D), Tim Shaw (R).
The first primary is August 6 with the runoff August 27, if necessary. The general election will be held November 5.
For more info on elections, call the Marshall County Circuit Clerk’s office at 252-3434.
District races, such as state representative and senator, plus statewide races like governor and lieutenant governor, will also be on this year’s ballot.
The following district candidates were announced via an email from the secretary of state and on party websites.
Republican Bill Kinkade, state representative District 52, is unopposed.
Republican incumbent Steve Massengill of Hickory Flat, in District 13, will be challenged by Democrat Pamela Denham of Myrtle.
Democrat John Faulkner of Holly Springs, state representative for District 5, has a couple of opponents, Carl Robinson of Lamar and Jacqueline Simon of Holly Springs, both Democrats.
Neil Whaley of Potts Camp, Republican state senator for District 10, is seeking re-election. Running on the Democratic side are Alicia Blanks of Coldwater, Andre R. DeBerry and Carlton E. Smith of Holly Springs and Michael Cathey of Senatobia.
Kevin Blackwell of Southaven, the incumbent Republican senator for District 19, will be opposed by Democrat Dianne Black of Olive Branch.