Photo by Sue Watson
Photo by Sue Watson
Louis “Trey” Tomlinson (left) and Jon Crouch recently received their certificate after completing the fire academy in Pearl. Not shown is Marvin Bruce Jr.
Crane named fire chief
Rodney Crane was promoted from assistant fire chief to chief at the January 16 meeting of the Holly Springs Board of Aldermen.
He replaces Kenny Holbrook, who recently retired after 39 years as a fireman and 24 as chief.
Crane joined the department as a part-time volunteer firefighter under Joe Fant in 1986. He was assigned a career track position in 1993 and was promoted to lieutenant under Holbrook in the mid-1990s. Crane was named assistant fire chief under Holbrook in 2004.
Also during the recent meeting of the mayor and board of aldermen, three firefighters were recognized for completion of certification by the Mississippi Fire Academy. They are Marvin Bruce Jr., Jon Crouch and Louis “Trey” Tomlinson.
The board also approved two resolutions. One resolution was to support the work of the Local Government Debt Collection Act, currently under consideration at the Mississippi Legislature.
Aldermen also approved the application for a $2 million Transportation Improvement Alternative Project with the Mississippi Department of Transportation. The grant will be used for strategic work on sidewalks in the city. The grant, if approved, requires a 20 percent match by the City of Holly Springs.
In other business, the board:
• approved payment of $18,243 in interest on a street improvement bond to Bank Plus.
• authorized payment of $30,000 to Retail Strategies for citywide employee training.
• approved payment of $169,748 to Mississippi Municipal Service Company for liability insurance.
• authorized payment of $29,800 to First Security Bank for principal and interest on the police station bond.
• approved payment of $19,930 to ASCO Sanitation for household garbage collection in December 2017.
Travel requests for employee training included:
• approval for Brooke Mullenix to attend the spring certification of municipal clerks.
• travel for alderman Christy Owens to attend MEDC conference in Jackson.
• travel for Don Buford and Jonathan Bowen to attend the Mississippi Water and Pollution Control Operators Association course in Pearl.
• approval for Chris Rounds and Kenton Taylor to attend the TVPPA apprentice lineman class, Lab 2, in Scottsboro, Alabama.
• approval of travel for Sgt. LaDaryl Odum to attend the Advanced Investigator training in Pearl.
• authorization for Louis Tomlinson to attend the Driver/Operator training at the Mississippi Fire Academy in Pearl.