Thursday, February 27, 2014
Calendar of Events
• Black Heritage Month will be celebrated each Thurs. in Feb., 6 p.m. at The Gallery@156. Entertainment and speakers each Thurs. Sponsored by the Marshall County NAACP. Light refreshments.
• Holly Springs Districtwide Parent Center will offer parent training on The Affordable Health Care Act at 12 p.m. in the Parent Center and 5:30 p.m. in the Holly Springs Intermediate School Cafeteria. Presenter, Reba Bland, Marshall County Extension agent. Out of uniforms passes will be given to parents with children in grades four-eight. The session is also open to the public.
• Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum celebrates Black History Month with “I AM A GENIUS!,” a motivational learning musical, by EKPE and Company, 10 a.m., at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Center in Holly Springs. For more info. call 662-252-3232.
• Revival, Davis Temple Outreach CLC, 635 West St., 662-512-8514. Wed., Feb. 26-Fri., Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m. nightly. Guest speaker, Elder Jeremiah Simmons of Coleman Temple in Ripley. Everyone is invited.
• Prayer breakfast, New Life Community Church, at Hearn Grove MB Church, Mar. 1, 10 a.m. Everyone is invited.
• Sat., March 1, 7 p.m., Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church will start back up with their monthly singings. The church is located 1/2 mile south of Goodman on Cayce Rd, and our featured guests for this month will be The Vickers from Middleton, Tenn. Pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• Singing at Chewalla Baptist Church, Mar. 1, with Pam Garner. Fellowship at 6 p.m., singing at 7. Everyone is welcome.
• Holly Springs High School Class of 1971 will meet at McDonald’s, 10 a.m. Sat., March 1. Please be present, on time and have your dues.
• Holly Springs Intermediate School will celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday Mon., March 3, from 8:30 a.m. till 2:15 p.m. Please come in and participate by reading to the classes. For more info. contact: Linda Steward, librarian, or Beverly Phillips, parent liaison, at 662- 252-7733.
• The Friends of the Marshall County Library will meet Tuesday, March 4, at the Holly Springs Library. The speaker will be Dr. Milton Winter, pastor of First Presbyterian Church here in Holly Springs. Dr. Winter is a noted historian of this region, and has written several previous books. His newest concerns 18th Century Presbyterians in Mississippi. The public is encouraged to attend, enjoy refreshments and hear the program. There is a business meeting at 11 a.m., and the program is at 11:30.
• Grays Chapel CME Church will observe Ash Wednesday (Lent services), March 5, 7 p.m. Elder Bobby G. Wilson will be speaker. Rev. Brian Davis Sr., host pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Revival, Apostolic Church of Jesus, 178 Stonewall Rd., Byhalia, with Evangelist Bobby Carter, Sterling, La., March 7, 7:30 p.m., March 8, 7 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Pastor Garland Loveless and congregation invite all. For more info. call 901-870-1934.
• Take Pride In America Day at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area. To volunteer call Bobby Claybrook, U.S. Forest Service, Holly Springs Ranger District, 662-285-3254, or email at email@example.com.
• New Hope Baptist Church, 137 Valentine Rd., Holly Springs, will have a singing, March 8, with Mike DeVore. Fellowship meal at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. Pastor Tony Watkins and congregation invite all.
• Red Banks Vol. Fire Department will have a fish fry, 11 a.m. until, for $8 a plate. Anyone who would like to donate desserts may call 901-674-3356 or 662-216-3283.
• Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority will be hosting a “Saturday Wine Down” at the Zeta/Sigma Complex March 8, 8 p.m. Admission will be charged.
• Fish fry, Sat., March 8, First Baptist Church of Potts Camp, for Gayle Ash, who has cancer.
• Isaac Chapel, Hwy. 309 S., Byhalia, will have annual Family and Friends’ Day at 2 p.m. Guests will be Rev. Ladell Odum and the St. Mark Church family from Collierville, Tenn. Dinner will be served. Rev. Willie Ward, host pastor, invites everyone.
• Youth Day program, New Hope MB Church, 3120 Hwy. 310, Laws Hill, during morning service, 11:15 a.m. Guest speaker will be Pastor Gulledge and Walton Chapel CME Church family. Dr. Bessie Tables, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club meeting (third graders), Holly Springs Primary School, 1:40 p.m.
• Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club meeting (fourth-fifth graders), Marshall County Library, 6 p.m.
• Fellowship Baptist Church, 1593 Hwy. 309, Byhalia. Pastor Wade Crum and congregation invite everyone to Beyond Measure’s 6th year celebration, 5 p.m., Sunday, March 16. For more info. call 662-838-4377 or 901-497-8337. Fellowship to follow service.
• Greenfield Presbyterian Church of Waterford will sponsor a benefit program for Kelvin Mull and family at 6 p.m. You may mail your tax deductible donations payable to Greenfield Presbyterian Church, P.O. Box 72, Waterford, MS 38685. For more info. call Pastor W. James Lyons, 901-340-6423; 662-252-3311 (church); or Lavora Blake, 662-252-1166 or 662-252-3309.
• Rita Sweatt will be guest spaker at First Baptist Church in Pott’s Camp’s Women’s Conference, beginning at 8:30 a.m. Nursery provided. Call Leanna Stacks, 662-518-5186, Mary Bennett, 662-224-5215, or Sue Stone, 662-202-2518.
• Second annual Arts & Crafts Fair, 9-3, Mt. Pleasant First Baptist Church, 1450 Boswell Road. Vendors needed - 10x10 booth for $25. Contact Gena Bumpas at 901-651-0100 for more information.
• Byhalia High School - Henry High Reunion, classes 1959 thru 1974 - Friday-Sunday, May 23-25. All events will take place at Byhalia High School. For more information contact Bertha Thomas, 662-564-2662 or Patricia Lucas-Powell, 662-564-2214.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page