Thursday, February 13, 2014
Rash of fires in Marshall County
By SUE WATSON
With cold winter days and nights come house and mobile home fires as people use electric space heaters to try and keep warm.
Also, windy days in January fanned grass fires, a number of which appear to have been set deliberately, according to Marshall County Fire Investigator Tracy Jeffries.
On January 3, firefighters responded to a travel trailer that was found burned out on McCauley Road, he said. The fire is believed to have been intentionally set and the trailer had been stolen, Jeffries said.
Lots of grass fires were found throughout the county on January 20, he said. Some seemed to have been deliberately set and include spotty fires along Old Highway 7 South below Waterford, on Callicutt Road and on Highway 310 east of Keel’s Grocery.
There were also grass fires on Highway 4 East the weekend following Martin Luther King Day, he said. Other fires were put out on Bicycle Road near the airport.
Jeffries asked anyone who has any information that may help determine who might be setting fires along roadsides to call Marshall County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-729-2169.
On January 22, a vehicle was found burned out in a field at 3068 Red Banks Road. The Chevrolet Impala was determined to have been reported stolen from a Tennessee residence.
On January 23, a mobile home caught fire in the 100 block of Neely Lane in the Byhalia area. Jeffries said the mobile home fire was extinguished and the damage repairable. The cause of the fire, which started in the laundry room, is thought to be electrical in nature, he said.
On January 29, firefighters were called at 5:30 a.m to a house fire at 5178 Cayce Road. The home was a total loss but there were no injuries, he said. The cause of the fire appeared to have been due to a heat source, he said.
Firefighters responded to a second call January 29 to Atway Road to a totally burned-out vehicle. The vehicle VIN number helped determine it had been reported stolen from a Knox Road residence 24 hours earlier. The vehicle had been rolled into a gully and set fire, Jeffries said. The fire was believed to have been caused by arson.
A house was totally destroyed by fire Wednesday, Feb. 5, at Cayce Road and Highway 72. Jeffries said the cause of the fire appeared to be an electric space heater.
A wood stove was thought to be the cause of a house fire Friday, Jan. 7, on Marianna Road, he said. The fire, which was reported about 5:30 p.m., totally destroyed the structure.
Jeffries urges residents to be careful with the use of electric space heaters and turn them off when leaving the house.
Nothing flammable should be placed within three feet of a space heater, he said.
Many house fires during cold weather are determined to be caused by inappropriate use of space heaters, he said.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page