Thursday, August 15, 2013
Surviving water slides
Hot Springs was indeed hot – hotter than Holly Springs and the hottest temperatures we’d experienced this summer.
Pam, Emma, Erin and I took a brief vacation break last week before school started back this week. Andy was finishing up his summer job at Kirkwood, before returning to the University of Southern Mississippi, and could not go with us. It was our first trip to Hot Springs.
Close to Nowhere
Ten years later already?
• In the Pages of the Past this week, I slipped a snippet about my 50th birthday in the “10 Years Ago,” not the “50.”
Monday, I celebrated my 60th birthday. I am floored! I cannot be 60 years old yet! My brain is pretty convinced that I am still 39 years old.
Sunday, I made myself birthday dinner and Meredith, my oldest granddaughter, made a chocolate cake.
The Preacher’s Corner
‘Hold on, we’re going to start it over again’
My friend the Rev. Ford S. Williams likes to recall the service at the Presbyterian Church in Rolling Fork, Mississippi, where the congregation had gotten halfway through singing the Doxology, when all of a sudden the music stopped and the organist called out: “Hold on, we’re going to start it over again!”
Letters to the Editor
As a native son I occasionally read The South Reporter to get the news of goings-on in my hometown.
On a lark I read The Preacher’s Corner today (“where cross the crowded ways of life,” August 1, 2013). Rev. Winter said more in those few paragraphs than most commentators can manage in a full page.
I was raised in the church (Anderson Chapel CME) and on Sunday mornings I cannot imagine being anywhere else. I know, however, that many people believe in God but not in His church.
As a father and grandfather I have a vested interest in seeing that my children understand the foundations of our Christian faith, but I am frequently frustrated to realize that the youngsters don’t always share my passion for the fellowship of Sunday morning worship.
Rev. Winter’s point is well taken: Sunday morning worship must be an opportunity for the church to make God’s Word meaningful in our daily living.
Thank you, Rev. Winter, for sharing your worship experiences away from home.
Michael L. Rankin
I am a native of northcentral Mississippi. In April 2012, I lost my dad and sister, Bud and Jenny Krohe, in a house fire.
I write to encourage readers to check their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If you don’t have one, get one.
Despite my dad being an extremely light sleeper, he succumbed to smoke inhalation.
Carbon monoxide, smoke — both can be silent but deadly killers. Even for the strongest, most cautious and alert man, such as my dad, there are deadly consequences of living without life-saving detectors in a home.
Since this tragedy, there are family friends we hope to locate eventually, but have thus far been unable to find. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the Ed Wilson family (Tupelo), Doyle Chism family (Columbus/Meridian), Wayne Hogue family (Holly Springs), Christina Stubbs family (Columbus), Donna Brooks-Shepherd family (Newton/Meridian), Roderick Flowers (Jackson), please contact me at: Tobie Krohe, P.O. Box 9000 #WC, Forrest City, AR 72336.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page