Thursday, April 25, 2013
Laura Wheeler celebrates birthday
Laura Wheeler celebrated her birthday last week with her family and Becky Cupp. Her mother made a fabulous pot of gumbo in honor of her.
The Marshall Academy Patriots have advanced to another week of playoffs. They swept the series last week with Prairie View Academy from Bastrop, La.. This week, they will host Canton Academy Friday. Y’all please come out and support these fine young men in their championship quest!!
Get well wishes go out to Parker James who had an incident last week with a lawn mower.
(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail email@example.com; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261.
You may also e-mail your City Personals news to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Kristi Janes and Corey McElwain will exchange vows May 4 at First Baptist Church in Kosciusko
Mr. and Mrs. Landy Hurdle of Clarksdale and Mike Janes of Michigan City announce the forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Kristi Marie Janes, to Corey McElwain, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mike McElwain of Kosciusko.
The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Beach and Scarlett Hurdle of Clarksdale and the late Robert Hurdle of Holly Springs. She is also the granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Billy Wayne Janes of Victoria.
Kristi is a 2009 graduate of Lee Academy. She is currently a student at Delta State University where she will graduate in December with a bachelor’s degree in biology. At Delta State Kristi is a member of the American Chemical Society, Alpha Epsilon Delta, the Wildlife Society, and Tri Beta. She is currently employed as a microbiologist at Baxter in Cleveland.
The prospective bridegroom is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin McElwain of Tupelo and the late Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie Johnson of Tupelo.
Corey is a 2001 graduate of Kosciusko High School. He graduated from Delta State University in 2005 with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and a minor in forensics. At Delta State, he was a member of the Statesmen football team. Corey has been employed with UPS for six years.
The couple will exchange vows on May 4, 2013 at 6 p.m. at First Baptist Church in Kosciusko.
All friends and relatives are invited to the wedding and the reception immediately following the ceremony.
Laura Neergaard and Michael Booker to wed June 8 at Samary Plantation
Mr. and Mrs. Johnny C. Neergaard of Olive Branch are pleased to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Laura Lee, to Michael Bradshaw Booker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Royston Terrell Booker III of Nashville, Tenn.
The bride-elect is the granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. G. Hamlet Yarbrough Jr. of Red Banks and Holly Springs, and Mrs. June Neergaard and the late Mr. Barney K. Neergaard of Dunlap, Tenn.
Laura is a graduate of Germantown High School and the University of Alabama. She taught school in Leland, through Teach for America, then received her master’s at Vanderbilt University. She is currently a doctoral candidate at Vanderbilt University. Laura has accepted a research position with the Tennessee Department of Education.
The prospective groom’s grandparents are the late Mr. and Mrs. Royston Booker II of Norfolk, Va., and the late Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Bastin of Howenwald, Tenn.
Michael graduated high school at Mid-Pacific Institute in Hawaii. He studied business at Abilene Christian University in Texas. Employed with Bridgestone since graduation, Michael has worked in Oklahoma City, Okla., Augusta, Ga., Singapore, and Nashville, Tenn.
Wedding vows will be exchanged in a sunset ceremony at Samary Plantation in Eagleville, Tenn., on June 8, 2013.
History of Chewalla Baptist Church, Higdon Road
Chewalla Baptist Church is located on Higdon Road, about two and one-half miles east of the intersection of Hwy. 4 E and Higdon Road. It has not always been at that location; it was formerly several miles northeast of its current site, on the old road to Salem.
This article is intended to cover the time from the church’s inception, to its current location.
About 20 years ago the late Raymond Joyner, an old classmate of mine, and fellow history buff, brought me the original minute book of Chewalla Baptist Church for me to study. I made some notes and subsequently returned the book to Joe Harrel, who was also a member of Chewalla Baptist Church.
The church was organized August 4, 1868 at a site known as the Sardis Schoolhouse along the old road to Salem, approximately six miles east of Holly Springs. The minute book places the site “on the waters of Chewaula (sic),” however Sardis School was actually in the hills a mile or so across the creek. Eight persons, W.W. Wallace, Jeremiah J. Webb, M.L. Casey, Charles H. Brooks, Mrs. A.H. Farr, Mrs. M.J. Wallace, Mrs. M.G. Casey and Miss Marthy Blackard, all members in good standing of the Missionary Baptist Church, met that day with the purpose of organizing a church consistent with their belief. They were assisted in perfecting their organization by Elder A.G. Parrott of the Tippah Baptist Association and Elder W.L. Farmer of the Chickasaw Association.
Immediately after the perfection of the church organization they entered into their church covenant.
Within the week the name Chewaula (sic) Church acquired, and a petition was prepared for, acceptance in the Tippah Association, with Bro. Parrott to write a letter so stating. Also within the week several other candidates, by various applications, were received as members: John A. Farr, Mattie E. Price, Florence J. Farr, J.T. Grisham, Emma Farr, Josephine Walker, Marthy Holeman, Mary M. Foster, J.T. Farr, James R. Wallace, Orleny Pybas, Mary A. Pybas, Emeline McMullen, W.H. Dyer, and Mary M. Foster. For some reason, of those accepted for baptism, Mary M. Foster was not baptized.
Early in October, 1868, a committee composed of W.W. Wallace, M. Casey and J.A. Farr was appointed to “solicit subscriptions to build a house for worship.” There was no mention in the minutes if a permanent building was ever erected for the church, or if the church continued to meet in the Sardis School building. For the next several years the only activities recorded were routine business of the church, i.e. names of those taken into the fellowship, delegates to meetings, the occasional withdrawal of fellowship or expelling of a member for reasons such as drinking whiskey, immoral behavior and one who was removed for keeping “bad company.” At a meeting December 16, 1873, it was motioned and resolved that the next meeting would be on the west side of Chewalla Creek.
Although the writing was faded it appeared they would meet on Saturday, February 14, 1874, at J(ohn) H. Record’s. Then on March 15, 1874, they were to meet at the church known as the Baum Church. A note written in the margin of the page indicates that temporarily the Chewalla Church met in the old log church building (Baum’s) on the opposite side of the road from the present Chewalla Church building. The Baum Church was one founded by Moses Baum, to whom many in Marshall County are presently related.
Then on May 28, 1874, the decision was made that the two churches merge and move to a property across the road, donated by Dr. J.M. Higdon, and be known as Chewalla Baptist Church.
A few notes about some of the above members may be interest. William Wilkins Wallace was a saddler who was born in 1817 in Nashville, Tenn., and died in Hickory Flat in 1892. He is buried in an unmarked grave in the Wallace lot in Hill Crest Cemetery. He was married four times and had 19 children. His first wife was Mary A.W. Barry, whom he married in 1836. He married his second wife, Margaret Yancy, nee Powell, in 1859. Mary Wallace, a daughter by his first wife, married Colonel Van Manning.
Manning was in the 3rd Arkansas Infantry during the Civil War, afterward returning to Holly Springs. He apparently lived in a house which burned many years ago, located two houses west of Montrose, where he was three times elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.
Margaret Powell Yancy was the daughter of Thomas Powell and Sarah Rutherford. She married first Phillip Yancy, and after his death, married W.W. Wallace.
Margaret’s brother, Charles Powell married Martha Lesueur. Margaret and William had a daughter Lelia Wallace who married first David Hoke Willis, and after his death, she then married Benjamin N. Powell. The Webbs and Blackards lived near the old Sardis School.
Mary Barry, first wife of William W. Wallace, was the daughter of John G. and Mary Zilephro Barry, both of whom died in Holly Springs.
I had at one time a copy of the obituary which is summarized below, but had lost it. Fortuitously it was reprinted in the most recent issue of the local genealogy society’s newsletter. John G. Barry was born in Va. on April 17, 1786 and died February 2, 1877 in his 85th year. “Uncle Johnny,” as the Holly Springs Reporter called him, was riding with his son-in-law, Lee Farr, after a day visiting in Holly Springs, in a wagon, going to Farr’s home, five miles east of Holly Springs. While crossing a rickety bridge near their home, the horses became agitated and caused the wheels on the right side of the wagon to go off the bridge logs. The left wheel became entangled and kept the wagon from overturning, but Uncle Johnny was thrown violently from the wagon, struck his head and fatally injured. Uncle Johnny was, with one exception, the oldest printer in the United States. His brother, William L. Barry, of Nashville, was the oldest printer in the country, being in his 87th year.
Also from the Reporter of February 10, 1871: An Old Printer Gone -- “In 1799 Uncle Johnny was apprenticed to the Metro-District Gazette, published in Nashville. In January 1800, he set up in type the news of the death of George Washington, which event had occurred at Mt. Vernon, Va., Dec. 14, 1799, three weeks before the intelligence reached Nashville. Uncle Johnny, full of years and honor, has been gathered to his fathers, leaving thousands to cherish and revere his blessed and beloved memory.”
Uncle Johnny lies in an unmarked grave in the Barry plot in Hill Crest Cemetery, beside his wife who died in 1865.
Moses Baum (1804-1853) and Mary Elizabeth Farr Baum (1802-1862) moved to Marshall County in the early 1840s, where Moses operated a grist mill east of Holly Springs, along the road now known as Higdon Road (he and his wife Mary are buried at Chewalla Baptist Church Cemetery). One of his daughter’s, Ester Elvira, married Thomas Jefferson Blythe in 1849 here in Marshall County. In 1862 Thomas Jefferson Blythe, and his brothers John Wesley Blythe and Jasper Newton Blythe, along with his brothers-in-law Hugh Baum, Robert Baum and John Baum all enlisted in the Confederate Army’s 34th Mississippi Infantry the same day, April 27, here in Holly Springs. When Thomas’s great-great-grandson, William Jefferson Blythe, was 15 years old, he officially adopted the name of his stepfather, Roger Clinton Sr., a car dealer in Hot Springs, and has been known since as (President of the United States) William Jefferson Clinton.
Epilogue: “Today in History in Marshall County,” April 25, 1836, Holly Springs was named the county seat.
Come visit the Marshall County Historical Museum, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Saturdays are available by appointment. If you have a crowd and want to visit on Saturday call us at 662-252-3669 to arrange your tour.
You will find many artifacts of Marshall County and beyond -- the museum has almost 100,000 of them. You will be fascinated by the many different things that we have on display.
Bring your family, children’s groups, school groups, churches and social clubs for a fun day at the museum.
Who knows what you may even find for yourself in here? We have an awesome store that includes kudzu jelly to Civil War artifacts and ceramics, flags and many, many books. We’re located at 220 East College Ave., Holly Springs, 662-252-3669.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page