April 10, 2014
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has several tens of millions of dollars in road and bridge projects ongoing in Marshall County, according to engineer Mitch Turner with the Batesville office.
Bridge work currently let to contractors includes the following:
• Highway 309 North. One long bridge is replacing three bridges over the Coldwater River. Tree clearing started the last week of March. The expected completion date is November 13, 2015. N.L. Carson Construction Company won the contract at a bid price of $8,103,059.28.
• Highway 178 East. The bridges over Chewalla Creek and Tippah River are being replaced. Relief work started in April 2013 and the completion date is August 12, 2015. KEY, LLC. won the contract at a bid price of $9,107,665.37.
• Highway 7 North. Three bridges over the Coldwater River and the Little Coldwater River are being replaced. Relief work started in February and the completion date is set for September 8, 2015. Talbot Brothers Contracting Company won the contract at a bid of $9,061,764.13.
Road construction projects either let or to be let include:
• Intersection at Highway 7 and Highway 72. The project is to improve the safety of the intersection, Turner said. The bid was scheduled to be let March 25. J.M. Duncan, Inc., won the contract at $599,807.86.
• Highway 72 four-lane from Highway 302 to the Tennessee/Mississippi state line. This stretch of about four miles of four-lane is currently double-lane, while the remainder of Highway 72 is four-laned to the Alabama line. A new interchange will also be constructed. The contract is set to be let August 25, 2015.
• I-269 from south of Highway 302 to the Tennessee state line. The bid was let January 28 to Lehman-Roberts Company at a bid price of $11,308,279.76.
Turner said the bridge projects will remove several posted low-weight bridges along Highway 309, Highway 7 and Highway 178.
“This will have a positive impact for the logging and sand and gravel industries,” Turner said.
Other bridge replacement planning in the early stages of development in Marshall County includes projects on Highway 309, south of U.S. 78, and on Highway 178, east of Holly Springs, he said.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page