Thursday, March 21, 2013
Calendar of Events
• Meeting change The Marshall County Humane Society is changing their meeting night to Thursdays. March meeting will be Thurs., March 21, 6 p.m. at the Adoption Center on Eddie L. Smith Drive.
• Spaghetti supper March 21, 4:30-7:30 p.m., sponsored by the Pilot Club of Holly Springs. Christ Episcopal Church parrish hall. Tickets available from any Pilot member or at the door. Proceeds go to community projects and St. Jude Children’s Hospital.
• FFA Alumni meeting Potts Camp FFA alumni meeting, March 21, 7 p.m., in the Potts Camp School ag building.
• Open Gym Night will be hosted by AfterShock Youth of Friendship Assembly of God, Victoria, at 7 p.m. All youth and their friends are welcome, ages 13 to 25, for a night of basketball, games, refreshments or just hang out and have fun.
• Birthday Celebration, Friday March 22, to commemorate the life of Dr. David Stratmon, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at 220 North Randolph St., Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum. For more info.: 662-252-3232 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Refreshments will be served.
• Easter play The Life of Christ will be presented by the Making Your Best Better Committee and the Eddie Lee Smith 4-H Club, Mar. 22, 6:30 p.m. at the Eddie Lee Smith Multi-Purpose Building. Free admission. Everyone is invited. For more info. call Ase Lee Nunnally, 662-252-3012 or Autriniece Folsom, 662-216-6851.
• Banquet Pre-anniversary banquet for Pastor Jerry L. Williams, Reid’s Gift MB Church, Mar. 22 at Annie’s Restaurant, 7 p.m. To buy a ticket, please call the pastor’s aid committee, 662-607-2743.
• Youth Conference, Eddie Lee Smith Multi-Purpose Building, 160 S. Memphis St., Holly Springs. Registration, 7:30 a.m.-8 a.m., conference begins at 8 a.m. Lunch will be provided. No admission fee. For more info. contact Sylvester Lester Jr., 662-287-4437; or Jerry Martin, 662-216-9984.
• “Sale-a-bration Easter Basket” Drawing/bake sale hosted by Super Church of Friendship Assembly of God. Join us at the Village Cleaners in Olive Branch Saturday, March 23, at 10 a.m.
• Canine Obedience Classes begin at 9 a.m. at the Holly Springs Fire Dept. The six-week class runs from March 23-April 27, and raises funds for volunteer search and rescue K9 teams serving Marshall County. For more info. contact Judy Otto at 662-252-1004.
• Singing Calvary Baptist Church, Hwy. 5, Ashland, March 23, 6 p.m. with the Barnetts. Pastor Robert Buse invites everyone.
• Easter egg hunt First Southern Baptist Church, Victoria, March 23, 5 p.m. Children 12 and under.
• Easter egg hunt Sam Coopwood Park, sponsored by the City of Holly Springs, for children ages 10 and under, Sat., March 23, 10:30 a.m.
• Benefit basketball game for Lisa Branch, Sat., March 23, Holy Family gym, 6 p.m. Sponsored by the Holly Springs High School Class of 1990.
• Singing Evangel Full Gospel Assembly, Sat., Mar. 23, 7 p.m. with the Kennedy Family of Wheeler. Everyone is welcome.
• CONCERT Union Valley M.B. Church presents their Youth Gospel Concert, at the Eddie Lee Smith Multi-Purpose Building, 235 North Memphis Street, Holly Springs, 6 p.m. On the program will be Barry Parish, Donald Walker, Jr. and Company, Disciples of Mime, Dont’e Everhart and the End-time Movement from Memphis, Tenn. Also on program will be Union Valley, Mt. Olive and St. Matthew’s youth choirs. The special guest will be Old Miss Gospel Choir. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. For more info., please contact Alex McClarty at (901) 573-3127; or Josephine Hall at (662) 292-1526. Free admission, however, we are asking for donations.
• PRAYER BREAKFAST will be held at Chulahoma Lodge Hall, 8 a.m. until. The cost is $7.
• PASTOR ANNIVERSARY PROGRAM Reid’s Gift MB Church, pastor Jerry L. Williams, Mar. 24, 2:30 p.m. Guests will be Pastor Thurmon Norman and the Mt. Newell MB Church of Red Banks.
• Men’s Day The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have their Annual Men’s Day Program at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Eugene Anderson and the Brooks Memorial Temple C.O.G.I.C. of Oakland, Tenn. Pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• Sunday Bible Fellowship of Friendship Assembly of God invites you to come to one of the many classes offered on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. Nursery school to senior adult ministries, Life Kids, Aftershock Youth, women and men’s ministries and much more.
• Deacon Day Bell Grove’s annual Deacon Day program will be held March 24, 2:30 p.m. Pastor Bryon Barnes of Harris Chapel CME Church will be guest speaker. Marvin Lucas, host pastor.
• Report card pickup Holly Springs Intermediate School will hold report card pick up/parent teacher conferences from 2-6 p.m. The Parent Center will be open until 6 p.m.
• Trip Friendship Christian Senior Class leaves for a trip to Six Flags-St. Louis, 6 p.m. and return on March 30. Off campus education students are invited to attend.
• Parent training Holly Springs School Districtwide Parent Center will offer a parent training session at 12 (noon) in the Parent Center. Lunch will be served! Parents with children in grades 4-12 are encouraged to attend. For more info. contact Beverly Phillips at 662-252-7733.
• Offices closed The offices of Friendship Assembly and FCA will be closed for the observance of the Easter holiday. Office will open and will resume classes Tuesday, April 2, at 7:40 a.m.
• Easter Program Jones Grove MB Church will have “The Last Seven Words from the Cross” Fri., Mar. 29, 7:30 p.m. Several preachers speaking. The public is invited. Pastor, Rev. John Powell.
• Basketball Tournament - at Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Building, Friday, March 29, beginning at 5 p.m. Tournament is sponsored by the Marshall-Benton Counties “Uniting-4-Life” Advisory Group. Proceeds will benefit Be The Match Foundation – helping cancer and sickle cell patients needing bone marrow transplants by adding new members to the Be the Match registry. If you would like to register your team, contact Bernita Fountain at (662) 557-0106.
• GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE “Last Sayings of Christ” will be held at New Dimension Salt and Light Ministries, 565 Neely Ave., 7 p.m. Pastor Actavatis Allen invites everyone. For more information contact Craig Williamson, 901-315-3702.
• “Set Me Free!” Easter drama at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship, 6400 Blocker St. in Olive Branch, Sat., March 30, at 6 p.m. and Sunday, March 31, at 10 a.m. You are invited. Nursery provided. Douglas Bell, pastor.
• Special meeting The Unit Burial Association will have a special meeting March 30, 12 noon at the M arshall County Library. All members are asked to be present. Ezekiel Owens, president.
• TRAIL RIDE Holly Springs Cowboys Big Trail Ride will be held 1-6 p.m. at the LeSueur Ranch, Hwy. 311, Holly Springs. Admission, $5, ages 16 and over; $2, ages 8-15; children under 8 free. Proceeds will benefit Ida B. Wells Musuem. For more information contact Wayne LeSueur, 901-515-7042; or Hubert Raimey, 662-544-6737; or J.P. Whitlock, 662-560-3087.
• SPRING FLING The Apostolic Church of Jesus, located at 178 Stonewall Road, Byhalia, invited everyone to an Easter Spring Fling, 2-5 p.m. A huge egg hunt, free hot dogs, drinks, popcorn, free face painting and lots of fun. Event will be cancelled in case of rain. Call Pastor Garland Loveless at 901-870-1934.
• Easter program Free Branch M.B. Church will have their Easter program at 9 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites the community.
• It Is Finished Easter Sunday, March 31 by the Celebration Choir and Drama Team at Red Banks Baptist Church. Dinner on the grounds following the service, Easter egg hunt in the afternoon. The church is located one mile north of US 78 at exit 21. Visit www.redbanksbc.com or www.facebook.com for more information. Bro. Jonathan Childress, pastor. Bro. James Overton, minister of music. Tammy Rappa, children’s director
• “Resurrection Egg Hunt” hosted by Children’s Ministry of Friendship Assembly of God during 10 a.m. service. Everyone is invited.
• SUNRISE SERVICE Macedonia Baptist Church at 14910 Cathy Road Byhalia ,would like to invite the public to our Easter sunrise service at 6:30 a.m. Associate Pastor John Jackson will bring the message. Breakfast will follow the devotion.
• Easter Service will be held at Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, 9 a.m. Rev. Tony Wilkins, host pastor, invites everyone.
• REVIVAL SERVICES will be held at Holly Hill Baptist Church. Easter Sunday services will begin at 7 a.m. Revival services will begin at 5:30 p.m. and week night services will be at 7 p.m. Bob Seale and congregation invites everyone. Bobby McGillard will bring the message each night at 7 p.m.
• Friends of the Library, at 11:30 a.m. at the Marshall County Library. The speaker will be Bishop Joe Potocnak, who is currently in
residence at St Joseph’s Catholic Church, after serving for many years in
South Africa. He will speak on his time in that country in a very turbulent and important time in it’s history. Everyone invited.
• SENIOR RECREATION MINISTRY - Asbury United Methodist Church invites Senior Adults to come together for Bible study, lunch and games every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Family Life Center.
• Relay For Life of Marshall County team captains will meet 5:15 p.m., at the Marshall County Library. If you are not able to come, please send someone from your team. The Planning Committee will meet at 6:15. Committee chair persons should have met with their members and be ready to make a report on progress made.
• BIRTHDAY Rev. Q. H. Whitlock Sr. will be celebrating his 90th Birthday on at 1 p.m. The celebration will be held at his home. Family and friends are invited to share this memorable day with him.
• Concert The Master’s Quartet from Booneville will be in concert at Red Banks Baptist Church, 5 p.m. Come join us for a night of song and praise! The church is located one mile north of U.S. 78 at exit 21. Visit www.redbanksbc.com or www.facebook.com for more information. Bro. Jonathan Childress, Pastor.
• WORKSHOP Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church, 3193 Marianna Road, will have a Home Fit Workshop, 6:30-8 p.m. Call 1-877-926-8300 by April 4, to confirm your attendance. Workshop will assist in recognizing all the great ways your home can be designed and updated to support your needs and lifestyles. There is no charge to attend.
• REVIVAL Holy Ghost-Filled Revival will be held at Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.c. of Mt. Pleasant, April 9-12, 7 p.m. nightly. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Kenneth Hollingsworth of Las Vegas, Nevada. Pastor, Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr. invites all.
• Women’s conference First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, April 13, 8:30 a.m. Rita Sweatt, well-known Christian speaker and soloist, will be the guest speaker. All women are invited. Call Mary Bennett, 662-224-5215, Marie Alderson, 662-274-4190 or Sue Stone, 662-202-2518.
• Basketball tournament Finley Grove Church will have their first Leap With Faith basketball tournament, Sat., April 13. All church families interested, please call Joyce Brown, 662-216-0172; or Pastor James Green at 901-604-9552; by Mar. 31.
• SPAGHETTI SUPPER The Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, (behind the post office), will hold a spaghetti supper in the fellowship hall from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The community is invited, come meet your neighbors and have a good time with good food and fellowship.
• LUNCHEON Jerry Moore, Marshall County Superintendent, will be the luncheon speaker for the Membership Luncheon of the Byhalia Area Chamber of Commerce, 11:15 a.m. The luncheon will be held at Victory Church, 21 Vinson Road, Byhalia. Contact the BACC for reservations.
• MUSICAL PROGRAM will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 6 p.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites all.
• DRAMA Barton Baptist Church is hosting Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames drama. The event will take place on April 21-23, 7 p.m. nightly. The church is located at 523 Quinn Road. Nursery will be provided. This drama has been done in years past and was very effective in presenting the gospel. Everyone is welcome.
• 12 Tribes of Israel Program will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 9 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites all.
• YOUTH DAY will be held Free Branch M.B. Branch, 9 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites all.
• FUND-RAISER Galena School PTA is sponsoring a Big Fund-Raiser Raffle. All proceeds will be used for a playground facelift. Tickets may be purchased from any of the PTA members, Galena School, Annie’s Restaurant or South Center Printing. Raffle tickets are $10. There will be three prizes and you do not have to be present to win.
• A Yard sale will be held at the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, (behind the post office), Friday and Saturday, May 24th and 25th from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Time change Free Branch morning worship has changed to first Sundays at 11 a.m. and second through fifth Sundays at 9 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Joe Tunstall. Sunday school and Bible school on Wed. nights, 6 p.m.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever first, secnd, and third Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; fourth Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page