Thursday, October 24, 2013
Calendar of Events
• Halloween Party at Pizza Hut. Come in costume, 6 p.m. Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club.
• Report cards Holly Springs Intermediate School will hold report card pickup and parent conferences from 3-6 p.m.
• Parent training Holly Springs School Parent Center, free parent training on “Bullying” at 12 (noon) in the Parent Center and 5:30 p.m. in the Holly Springs Intermediate School cafeteria. Dr. McGhee, Holly Springs School District psychologist, will be the presenter. The training is for parents with children in grades 4-12. Refreshments will be served. For more info call Beverly Phillips at 662-252-7733.
• HAUNTED HOUSE Victoria Fire Department will host their annual Haunted House, Oct. 25-31, 7 p.m. nightly. $2 admission. Concessions available. All proceeds benefit the fire dept.
• THE DUNGEON haunted house will be open at Wall Doxey State Park, 7-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday night. $5 per person. The Boy Scout Troop #43 is the sponsor.
• Women’s conference Mt. Ollie M.B. Church, Potts Camp, third annual Women’s Conference. Registration, 7:45 a.m. and breakfast at 8 a.m. Conference starts at 9 a.m. Guest speakers, Evangelist Dorothy Palmer, Apostle Mae L. Palmer, Rev. Evelyn Fitzpatrick and keynote speaker will be Rev. Dr. Bessie Tables. Registration, $20 per person. Sunday evening, October 27, Women’s Day program, 2 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Dr. Bessie Tables and New Hope MB Church, Waterford. Everyone is welcome!
• Youth Choir Day Providence MB Church, 295 Withers Ave., Holly Springs, will celebrate their Youth Choir Day, 6 p.m. Alonzo Johnson, pastor.
• Gospel explosion There will be a gospel explosion at the Reid’s Gift MB Church at 7 p.m. The public is invited. Pastor, Jerry L. Williams.
• Victory Church Fall Fest, 1-4 p.m. Moonbounce, football toss, soccer kick, hole-n-one, face painting, live music, lots of candy, hot dogs, chips and drinks – everything is free. Located at 21 Vinson Road and Hwy. 178, Byhalia. Melvin and Sandy Shackelford, 901-831-7623, 901-326-0881.
• Feeding the Community — Kimbrough Chapel and Safe Temple will serve lunch at the Affordable Complex, noon - 1 p.m. Groceries and clothing will also be available.
• Happy Halloween Wall Doxey State Park, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. Lots of family fun events - campsite decorating contest, costume contest, games, cakewalk, concessions, haunted house, hayride. Call 662-252-4241 for more info.
• Fall Tree I.D. Strawberry Plains Audubon Center. $5 per person; $15, family. Learn how to ID the region’s commons trees. RSVP required. Contact Susie Murphie, email@example.com or (662) 252-1155.
• FALL FESTIVAL Bluff Springs Baptist Church in Ashland will be having their annual Fall Festival at 2 p.m.
• Singing at Evangel Full Gospel Assembly of Holly Springs, starting at 7 p.m., with the Downs family. Everyone welcome.
• Anniversary Jones Grove Male Chorus will have their 14th anniversary at 3 p.m. Host pastor, Rev. John Powell.
• FALL FESTIVAL Brookside Baptist Church, 4993 Hwy. 302 E., 4:30-7:30 p.m. Bounces, games, hay rides, door prizes, music, great food. For more info. call 662-890-4069 or visit www.brooksideob.com.
• 32ND Pastoral Anniversary Celebration will be held at Smith Grove MB Church on Sunday, October 27, at 2 p.m. Special guests will be Pastor Marvin Brooks and Mighty God Ministries. All are invited.
• FALL FESTIVAL Sponsored by Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Youth and Young Adults Fund-raiser, 2997 Old Hwy. 4 West, Holly Springs, October 27, 4 p.m. Hayrides, food, games and fun. Call Jessica Ayers or Sirlinda Luellen (662-252-1038).
• Harvest Day Program at St. Paul CME Church, Holly Springs, 2:30 p.m. Guests will be Rev. Patrick Bailey and St. Mark MB Church. The public is invited to attend. Rev. Charles Dooley, pastor.
• Men and Women’s Day Bell Grove MB Church is having a Men and Women’s Day at 2 p.m. The speaker will be pastor Walter Newsom of Mt. Gilead MB Church. Everyone is welcome.
•Homecoming First Baptist Church Potts Camp homecoming, beginning at 9:30. Speaker, Bro. Joe Epting. Music, the Shirley family from Union County. Lunch around 12 noon. Pastor Bro. Paul Hicks. Music director, Bro. Andy Rowe.
• Fall Festival at Emory Methodist Church. We will have a hay ride, hot dogs, cake walk and booth with treats and other fun activities at 5 p.m.
• REVIVAL Victoria United Methodist Church will hold a revival Sunday, October 27, starting with special music at 10:45 a.m. The church is located behind the Victoria Post Office. Lunch will follow and we hope to see you all there.
• “Break Every Chain” - three-night revival at Anderson Chapel CME Church, 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 27-Minister Sharon Tate; Mon., Oct. 28, Rev. Freeman McKindra; Tues., Oct. 29, Rev. Patrick Glasper. Anderson Chapel’s youth and young adults are sponsors. Pastor, Denise Anders-Modest.
• PRE-ANNIVERSARY SERVICE at Christ Temple C.O.G.I.C., 210 West Park Ave., 7:30 p.m. Guests will be Joseph Selman and Latter Rain Church.
•Pre-Anniversary Service at Christ Temple COGIC, 210 West Park Ave., elder Albert Pass, pastor, at 7:30 p.m. Guest, Pastor Joseph Selman
• New Narcotics Anonymous meeting, 6 p.m., Mondays, 750 Hwy 309, Cedar Haven Baptist Church, Byhalia. For info. call Mike, 901-827-8115.
• Three-night revival “Break Every Chain” beginning Oct. 27, 7 p.m., Anderson Chapel CME Church, Pastor Denise Anders-Modest, 730 Martin Luther King Drive, Holly Springs.
• SENIOR CITIZENS of Holly Springs – learn to use the Internet free. Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30-11:30, at Sacred Heart Southern Missions, 295 E. Francisco Ave., behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 662-252-1336 to register.
• Spay clinic The Marshall County Humane Society-sponsored, low-cost spay/neuter clinic is open every Tuesday, corner of E. School St. and Hwy. 309, Byhalia. Call 662-564-2900 for the necessary appointment.
•Trunk Or Treat Red Banks Baptist Church, North Red Banks Rd., from 6:30 until. Fun, games, food, etc.
• SUPPER Bluff Springs Baptist Church in Ashland will be having their annual World Hunger Supper at 6 p.m. Bro. Faron Ash and congregation welcome all.
• Harvest Festival hosted by Friendship Assembly of God, 6-9 p.m. Carnival games, inflatables, challenges and more are part of the evening activities. Admission is one large bag of candy.
• Happy Treats Day First Baptist Church of Mt. Pleasant, 6:30-8 p.m. Trunk or treat! Hot dogs for all. The church is located at 1430 Boswell Road, Mt. Pleasant.
• Halloween Night Red Banks Volunteer Fire Dept. will have a truck set up at the fire station giving out candy to all the children, 5:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. Mark Hannah, fire chief. Everyone wear your scariest costumes!
• FUN NIGHT Pleasant Hill young adults will host a Fall-Oween Family Fun Night 6-9 p.m. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor.
•Pre-Anniversary Service at 7:30 p.m. at Christ Temple COGIC, 210 West Park Ave., Elder Albert Pass, pastor. Guests will be Steven Nance and Philadelphia Ministries from West Memphis, Ark.
• Outrageous ’80s by friends of Marshall Academy, at the Oak Palace, 7:30 p.m. until midnight. Everyone welcome. Call 252-9230 for tickets.
• Annual Freedom Fund Banquet sponsored by the MC Branch NAACP, will be held at Rust College Shaw Cafeteria, 7 p.m. Cost $25 per ticket. Mail to Mozell Kelley, treasurer, P.O. Box 943, Holly Springs, MS 38635. For more info. call 662-252-5616.
• SUPPER Wyatt-Chulahoma Volunteer Fire Dept. Hamburger Supper and Cake Walk, 5 p.m. All proceeds benefit fire dept.
• GATHERING Smith Grove Men’s Ministry will be sponsoring a “Fellowship of Christian Athletes Gathering” for male athletes, sixth - 12th grades, 3 p.m. Guest speaker will be former NFL player Terrance Metcalf. Fathers are highly encouraged to attend with son(s). Attire is casual. For more information regarding this event, call Bro. Melvin King at 662-252-3973 or Bro. Michael Harmon at 662-832-6016.
• Emory Methodist Church, 10 a.m. to 12 Noon, 3rd Annual “Getting Ready for Christmas” yummy recipe tastings and new craft demos, as well as making a hands-on Christmas craft items to take home. Tickets are $20 each and will cover your craft supplies as well as the delicious food items and a booklet showing the craft supplies and recipes. We need to know who will be attending so we will know how much food and supplies to get. Call Margie Thompson, (662-838-2973), or Shirley McCoy, (662-838-6655), for more information.
• Singing at Chewalla Baptist Church with Saving Grace. Fellowship at 6 p.m.; singing at 7 p.m. Everyone welcome.
• MUSICAL PROGRAM at St. Mark M.B. Church, 6 p.m. Program is sponsored by St. Mark Deacon Board. Pastor, Rev. Patrick Bailey. Special guests, St. Mark M.B. Choirc, The Faithful Few, The Silver Stars and others. Everyone is invited.
• Men and Women’s Day Mt. Moriah MB Church, 3193 Marianna Road, under the leadership of Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson, will be celebrating their annual Men and Women’s Day, 2:30 p.m. Apostle Dr. C.L. Harris Jr. and The Greater NEw St. Paul MB Church of Tunica will be the guest church.
• Harvest Day program Pleasant Hill CME, 3:30 p.m. Guest will be Rev. Eddie Joe Wilson, Mt. Pisgah CME Church. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor.
• Pastor’s Appreciation New Hope MB Church, 3120 hwy 310, Laws Hill, sponsoring pastor’s appreciation, Dr. Bessie Tables, 2 p.m. Guest speaker, Rev. Brandon Blake and Mt. Zion Taska Church, Red Banks. Everyone is invited. Dinner served.
• PASTOR & WIFE ANNIVERSARY honoring Pastor Elder Pass and Johnnye, 3 p.m. Guests will be Elder Linwood Dillard and Citadel of Deliverance COGIC from Memphis, Tenn.
• New Narcotics Anonymous meeting, 6 p.m., Mondays, 750 Hwy. 309, Cedar Haven Baptist Church, Byhalia. For info. call Mike, 901-827-8115.
• The Friends of the Library will meet at the Holly Springs Library at 11:30 a.m. The speaker will be popular Mississippi author Rob Keuhnle. Rob’s series of “Piggly Wiggly” books found a wide audience of enthusiastic readers. This time, he will present the first book in his new “Cherry Cola Club” series, published under the name Ashton Lee. The public is welcome.
• CRAFT FAIR Arkabutla Baptist Church Craft Fair Nov. 8-9. For booth information, call 662-562-6076.
• Pastor and Wife Anniversary honoring pastor Albert Pass and Mrs. Johnnye at 3 p.m. Guest elder Linwood Dilard and Citadel of Deliverance COGIC from Memphis, Tenn.
• BREAKFAST The Missionary Society of St. Paul C.M.E. Church, Holly Springs will host its Annual Prayer Breakfast, 8 a.m. The tickets are $7. Our guest speaker will be Rev. Alesha Agnew of Hamilton Chapel C.M.E. Church. The public is invited. Rev. Charles Dooley, Pastor and Wanda McNeil, Missionary President.
• PRAISEFEST A community outreach event to benefit Hearts and Hands Ministries will be held 2-6 p.m. at Brookside Baptist Church, 4993 Hwy. 302 Goodman Road, Olive Branch.
• 45th ANNIVERSARY of the Silver Stars will be held at the Baptist Association Building, Holly Springs, 6 p.m. Admission is $7. There will be numerous groups performing and prizes given.
• HARVEST DAY - New Hope M.B. Church, 3120 Hwy. 310, Laws Hill, 2 p.m. Guest speaker will be Pastor Joe Richmond and Union Valley M.B. Church. Pastor is Dr. Bessie Tables.
• PASTOR APPRECIATION at Bell Grove, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Mark Davis and Wyatt Community Church family will be special guests.
•Homecoming at Emory Independent Methodist Church, Sunday School, 9:45 a.m., worship services, 11 a.m., and Homecoming lunch following the worship service.
• Time change Free Branch morning worship has changed to first Sundays at 11 a.m. and second through fifth Sundays at 9 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Joe Tunstall. Sunday school and Bible school on Wed. nights, 6 p.m.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever first, secnd, and third Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; fourth Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page