Thursday, May 16, 2013
Calendar of Events
• MEETING The Marshall County Humane Society will have its regular monthly meeting at the Humane Society building on Eddie L. Smith Drive in Holly Springs, 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
• EXERCISE CLASS Kimbrough Chapel is offering free exercise classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 p.m. All are welcome.
• FISH FRY First Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant, will have a fish fry from 5-7 p.m. The fish will be cooked by Kenny Dickerson along with hushpuppies, slaw, fries, dessert and drink, all for $12. Eat in or carry out. The church is located on Hwy. 311 and 1450 Boswell Road.
• SINGING Clear Creek Baptist Church will have a gospel singing with The Master’s as special guests. Fellowship, 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. Pastor Andy Skelton welcomes all.
• CLEANUP DAY at Bethlehem United Methodist Church on Highway 349 S., Potts Camp starting at 8 a.m. Volunteers are needed. Anyone wanting to help get the cemetery looking great, come and help out.
• MEETING The Marshall County Republican Club will meet at JB’s Restaurant, on the square, 10 a.m. Everyone is welcome.
• CLASS MEETING The W.T. Sims High Class of 1967 will meet at the Pizza Hut on Hwy. 7, 5 p.m. James Alford is president.
• 3 MILE WALK The Rubye Hicks-Bailey Cancer Foundations 13th Annual Walk For Good Health will be held at Serenity Funeral Home parking lot, 7:30 a.m. Pre-register on Friday, May 17, at Serenity Funeral Home, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. For more info. call Katie Hicks Autry, 662-234-3215; Margaret Hicks McDonald, 252-6642; Ruthie Hicks-Gatewood, 252-5618, or Lavern Hicks-Zinn 252-2869.
•WALK TO REMEMBER Due to recent weather conditions, the Walk to Remember, hosted by Pleasant Hill CME Church young adult department will be held at 8 a.m. starting at Dollar General Store. There will be a $10 donation or any other amount. Rev. Willie Hoey is pastor.
• Annual Women’s Day Program will be held at St. Paul CME Church at 2:30 p.m. Guests will be Rev. Mary Cole and Pleasant Grove CME Church. All are invited. Dinner will be served. Contact Wanda McNeil, Missionary president. Rev. Charles Dooley is pastor.
• WOMEN IN HATS PROGRAM will be held at Smith Grove M.B. Church, 2 p.m. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Tenisha Craft from Mt. Moriah M.B. Church.
• ANNUAL KING AND QUEEN DRIVE will be held at Kimbrough Chapel, 11 a.m. The public is invited to come and witness the crowning.
• GOSPEL MEETING West Sandidge Road Church of Christ will have a gospel meeting at 3 p.m. with dinner being served after morning worship. The evangelist for the week will be John Parker. Services will start at 7 p.m. May 20-24.
• ANNUAL HOMECOMING will be held at Liberty Hill MB Church, 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Rev. R.C. Rayborn from the Greater Life M.B. Church, Memphis, Tenn.
• USHERS’ AND GREETER’S PROGRAM will be held at Anderson Chapel CME Church, 3 p.m. The guest speaker will be Minister Shelby Tate from St. Mark M.B. Church, Collierville, Tenn. Rev. Denise Anders-Modest is pastor.
• Women’s Day Free Branch MB Church, May 19, 2 p.m. Pastor Joe Tunstall.
• SINGING Friendship Baptist Church, Old Hernando Road, will have a singing featuring The Fishers of Men, 11 a.m. Lunch will be served at noon in the fellowship hall. Singing will continue after lunch. Pastor Justin Haynes invites all.
• ANNUAL USHER DAY will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church during 9 a.m. worship. Rev. Blake of Mt. Zion Taska M.B. Church will be the guest. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor, invites everyone.
• TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL PROGRAM will be held at Smith Grove, 11 a.m. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Kim Mays of Hopewell M.B. Church in Independence.
• AARP DRIVER Safety Class will be held at the Marshall County Extension office, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The cost is $12 for AARP members or $14 non-members. Call 662-252-3541 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 100th BIRTHDAY The American Cancer Society will celebrate its 100th birthday. The Relay For Life teams will be selling food and various items including T-shirts, on the courthouse yard in Holly Springs, 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. Every dollar raised puts us closer to a world with less cancer and more birthdays. For more information contact Linda Wilson, 662-252-4706 or 601-732-4934.
• A Yard sale will be held at the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, (behind the post office), Friday and Saturday, May 24 and 25, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Fish fry St. Mark Church, 3500 Hwy. 178, 11 a.m. Sponsored by the ushers. Proceeds go to the church building fund. 662-252-5656.
• GRADUATION Friendship Christian Academy graduation ceremony will be held with K5 graduation at 5:30 p.m. and senior graduation at 6:30 p.m.
• BIRTHDAY BASH Holly Springs High School Class of 1981 Birthday Bash will be held at Infinity Career College, 960 Hwy. 4 East, 7 p.m.-midnight. Donations of $50 per classmate are requested. To RSVP or for more information call Tamara Scales Jackson at 601-819-0068.
• WORKSHOP Kimbrough Chapel in conjunction with the American Cancer Society will host a Cancer Awareness, Prevention, and Support Workshop, 9 a.m.-noon at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Building.
• REUNION Hickory Flat School reunion will be held 1-4 p.m. in the new gymnasium. Students and faculty who attended school at Hickory Flat since the school began are invited. Refreshments will be served. Donations will be appreciated.
• SINGING Evangel Full Gospel Assembly will have a gospel singing at 7 p.m. Blessed Harmony will be special guests. Everyone is welcome.
• BIBLE PROGRAM Pleasant Hill CME Church will have a 66 Books of the Bible Program, 6:30 p.m. Rev. Charles Jones of Eason Grove MB Church will be the guest speaker. Rev. Willie Hoey is pastor.
• ANNUAL MEN’S AND WOMEN’S DAY will be held at Shady Grove C.M.E. Church, Hwy. 309 S., 2:30 p.m. The guests will be Rev. Mark Davis and Wyatte Community Church. Everyone is invited. Cornelia Booker is pastor.
• HOMECOMING will be held at Kimbrough Chapel at 11 a.m. Special guests will be Mark Bryson from Liberty Institutional Baptist Church, Olive Branch.
• HOMECOMING Wilkins Chapel will celebrate their homecoming with dinner on the grounds at 2:30 p.m. Special guests will be Pastor Willie Hoey and Roberts Chapel and Pleasant Hill church families. Pastor Robert Odum invites all.
• HOMECOMING Mt. Pisgah CME Church will have their annual homecoming at 11 a.m. Elder Q.H. Whitlock Jr., presiding elder of St. Louis District and pastor of Coleman-Wright CME Church, will be the guest speaker. The church is located at 3877 Cayce Road.
• BREAKFAST Wilkins Chapel is serving breakfast every fourth Sunday, 8:30-9:45 a.m.
• ANNIVERSARY The Hudson Singers will celebrate their 16th anniversary at Providence MB Church, 2:30 p.m.
• ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have their annual church anniversary, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Apostle Granville Scruggs and the Fireside C.O.G.I.C. of Memphis, Tenn. Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr. invites everyone.
• PROGRAM The Beulah Hill Church of Blue Mountain will have their annual Men’s and Women’s Day Program, 3 p.m. Speakers will be Pastor S.E. Banks and the New Temple Church of Fulton and Pastor Patricia Smith of Love Praise, New Albany. Dinner will be served. Rev. Holden Pickens is pastor.
• ON THE YARD Anderson Chapel Church will have Sunday School outside on the yard, 9:30 a.m. Everyone is invited. Rev. Denise Modest is the pastor and the church is located at 730 Martin Luther King Drive.
• LifeKIDS “All-nighter” will be held at Friendship Assembly of God starting at 6 p.m. All kids, ages 5-12 are invited. RSVP only by calling the church at 662-838-4000.
• YARD SALE Clear Creek Baptist Church Vacation Bible School will have a yard sale in the parking lot of Carlisle’s Big Star beginning at 7 a.m. Rain cancels.
• POTTS CAMP SCHOOL ANNUAL REUNION will be held. Registration 10 a.m. in school cafeteria. Lunch for a nominal fee at noon. Members of each class year will be recognized. Make plans to attend and bring someone with you.
• Yard Sale to benefit SPEED THE LIGHT hosted by AfterShock youth of Friendship Assembly of God, to be held at Lexington Crossing Subvision in Olive Branch starting 7 a.m. till 12 p.m.
• HOMECOMING will be held at Bethlehem UMC, Hwy. 349 S. Services will be at 11 a.m. with lunch to follow. All donations will go to the cemetery fund.
• CELEBRATION Newell Chapel CME Church, 3085 Moore Road, Victoria, will have a Homecoming Celebration Service, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Levan Brayboy of Chicago, Ill. will be the guest speaker. Rev. Charles LeSure is pastor. Dinner will be served.
• CAMP Ambassador for Christ Outreach Ministries youth summer program will be held June 3-July 19, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. This is an 8 weeks program for ages 3 years-9 years old. The cost will be pre-registration fee of $20 and $50 weekly. Daily needs will include extra play clothes, blanket or child mat. For more info. call 662-544-7235 or 544-7234.
• The City of Holly Springs is hosting their annual Summer Camp for youth ages 6-13 beginning June 3, 2013 to Tuesday, July 2 2013. Registration is now open at the City Hall during normal business hours. Please call 662-252-4280 ext. 1600 or 1601 for more information. (Camp fee: $50.00/ breakfast and lunch will be provided for participants)
• THE SPIRITUAL FOUR will have their anniversary at Rising Star MB Church. Raffle tickets will be sold. Admission is free. Contact 662-557-3990 for more info.
• VBS will be held at Friendship Baptist Church, Old Hernando Road, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The VBS program will be on Sunday at 11 a.m. Pastor Justin Haynes invites all children to attend.
• Annual Homecoming & 12 Tribes program at St. Paul C.M.E. Church, Holly Springs at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Willie Hoey and Pleasant Grove C.M.E. Church will be our special guests. All are invited. Sis. Joycestine Robertson, program chairperson, Rev. Charles Dooley, Pastor.
• PRE-ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will be having a pre-anniversary service for Pastor Curtis and Evangelist Richenda Pritchard, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Robert Williams and the Williams Temple C.O.G.I.C. of Moscow, Tenn. Everyone is invited.
• BUILDING FUND Springhill M.B. Church, 930 Robert Ford Road, Waterford, will have their annual building fund program at 3 p.m. L.G. Bogard is pastor and Dorothy Palmer is chairperson.
• VBS Colossal Coaster World, Vacation Bible School, Fellowship Baptist Church, 1593 Hwy 309 N, Byhalia, June 10-14, 8:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.,
kindergarten - sixth grade. For more info. call the church at 662-838-4377.
• “Hay Day” VBC will be held at Friendship Assembly of God, June 10-12, 6 p.m.-8 p.m.
• SINGING Clear Creek Baptist Church will have a singing with The Downs Family as special guests. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. Pastor Andy Skelton invites all
• Time change Free Branch morning worship has changed to first Sundays at 11 a.m. and second through fifth Sundays at 9 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Joe Tunstall. Sunday school and Bible school on Wed. nights, 6 p.m.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever first, secnd, and third Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; fourth Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page