Thursday, May 2, 2013
Calendar of Events
• DEBATE The Democratic Party debate will be held at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Center Building, 235 North Memphis St., Holly Springs. Aldermen debates at 6:30 p.m.; alderman-at-large at 7:30; and mayor at 8:15.
• Relay for Life Marshall County team captains will meet Thurs., May 2, 5:15 at the Marshall County Library. Someone from your team needs to be there. Planning committee will meet at 6:15. Please come, we want this to be the best Relay ever.
• MEETING Potts Camp FFA Alumni meeting will be held at the school agricultural building, 7 p.m.
• PTSA MEETING for the Holly Springs High School will be held in the school library, 5:30 p.m. All parents, staff, students, and concerned individuals are encouraged to attend.
• FUND-RAISER Galena School PTA is sponsoring a Big Fund-Raiser Raffle. All proceeds will be used for a playground facelift. Tickets may be purchased from any of the PTA members, Galena School, Annie’s Restaurant or South Center Printing. Raffle tickets are $10. There will be three prizes and you do not have to be present to win.
• FISH FRY Lessye Lee Davis Annual Fish Fry and activities will be held on the Holly Springs Court Square, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Tickets may be purchased in advance by calling 662-252-3232 or from any member of the Federated Club.
• SALE Victoria VFD spring sale Friday, May 3, and Saturday, May 4, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., 121 Watson Road, next door to Watson FD at old Watson Saddle Club.
• SINGING Abundant Grace Ministries Church presents the “Almost Famous” Gospel Singing Jubilee, 9239 E. Holmes Road, featuring “The Almost Famous Crains,” 7 p.m. Special guests will be Southern Praise. For more info. call 901-299-8831 or 901-497-3503.
• PARADE The Lessye Lee Davis Memorial Parade will begin at 11 a.m. with the tribute to be held at Hill Crest Cemetery at 8:30 a.m. The public is invited.
• Bible fellowship The Divine Women of God of Mt. Moriah MB Church, 3193 Marianna Rd., will have their Women of the Bible fellowship, Sat., May 4, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Lunch will be provided. Free to everyone. Pastor, Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson.
• SINGING Chewalla Baptist Church will have a singing with Steve Hess and Southern Salvation as special guests. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m.
• PRAYER BREAKFAST Christ New Beginning M.B. Church, 440 Martin Luther King Drive, will have a Prayer Breakfast, 8 a.m. Speaker will be Arthur Fitchpatrick. A donation of $10 will be taken.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER SUMMIT will be held at Smith Grove M.B. Church, 10 a.m., and at Greenfield Presbyterian Church Sunday, May 5, at 3 p.m. The guest will be Mae L. Palmer of Aurora, Ill. Pastor W.C. Conner and W. James Lyons invite all to attend.
• SCHOOL BOND RALLY will be held at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Center, 2 p.m. If you or your choir, praise team or drill team would like to be a part of the entertainment, please contact Shreda Jeffries at 662-629-0359. Every concerned citizen is invited. There will be food and entertainment.
• HAMBURGER SUPPER and Cake Walk will be held at Wyatt-Chulahoma VFD, Hwy. 4, at 5 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• YARD SALE Bell Grove Church will have a yard sale, 7 a.m.-until on the parking lot of Lincoln Auto Sales, J.M. Ash Dr. in Holly Springs.
• SINGING Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, located 1/2 mile south of Goodman on Cayce Road, will have their monthly singing. Featured guests will be Larry and Melba McCullar and Bro. Mark Watkins, all from Olive Branch. Service begins at 7 p.m. Pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• MAY DAY will be held at The Ark of Safety Outreach Ministries, 4201 Hwy. 178 W., Red Banks, 11 a.m. until. Pastor Bruce Lee Williams invites all.
• HOMECOMING New Hope M.B. Church will celebrate its 49th Annual Homecoming at 2 p.m. Pastor William Woods Jr. and the East St. Peter’s M.B. Church of Abbeville will be the guests. All family, friends and former members are invited to attend. Dinner will be served.
• MUSIC PROGRAM Reid’s Gift MB Church, Potts Camp, will have a gospel singing with John Hampton and The Cavaliers, Larry Gatewood, The Gospel Travelers, Free Branch Male Chorus, Reid’s Gift Male Chorus and a host of others. Program begins at 3:30 p.m. Pastor Jerry Lee Williams invites everyone.
• WOMEN’S MONTH Wilkins Chapel Church is celebrating Women’s Month the month of May. Morning worship service begins at 11 a.m. Speakers for each Sunday in May will be May 5, Lakisha Martin; May 12, Letha Jeffries; May 19, a special guest; and May 26, Kathleen Wilson. Pastor Robert Odum invites all.
• WOMEN’S MONTH Free Branch M.B. Church is celebrating Women’s Month in May. Choir Day will be held May 5 at 3 p.m. and Women’s Day will be held May 19 at 2 p.m. The community is invited. Pastor is J.L. Tunstall.
• ANNUAL CHOIR DAY will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor, invites everyone.
•WOMEN’S MONTH begins for the month of May at Smith Grove M.B. Church. Minister Teresa Hewlett of Shiloh M.B. Church will be the speaker at 9 a.m. All are invited.
• MEETING Hudsonville CME Church Lift Group will host a committee meeting for the Be A Match Foundation, 6:30 p.m. Dinner will be served.
• FRIENDS The Friends of the Marshall County Library will host their last program of the season. Local author Marie Moore will present and sign copies of her second novel. The business meeting will start at 11:30 and the program will start at 12 noon. The public is encouraged to attend.
• GOSPEL SINGING New Hope Baptist Church, 139 Valentine Rd., Slayden, will have a gospel singing with The Downs Family as special guests. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. All are welcome.
• APPRECIATION DAY The Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club will participate in the Tourism & Recreation Bureau Appreciation Day, 9:30 a.m., in the coloring contest and/or arts and crafts. Parents and 4-H members need to meet on the courthouse lawn. Bring chairs. For more info. call Mary Hicks, 252-5920.
• GARAGE SALE will be held in the vacant lot next door to United Center, Hwy. 7 South – old Fitch Gas Station – 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Hot food and drinks will be available. Sale sponsored by “Feeding Hearts Food Pantry.”
• SINGING will be held at Marianna Baptist Church with Picking Up The Pieces as special guests. Fellowship will be at 5 p.m. and singing at 6 p.m.
• CELEBRATION Hudsonville Annual Mother’s Day Celebration will be held along with the morning worship service.
• MOTHER’S DAY PROGRAM will be held at Smith Grove M.B. Church, 11 a.m. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Doris Williamson of Hopewell No. 1 M.B. Church.
• Annual Women Day Program will be held at St. Paul CME Church at 2:30 p.m. Guests will be Rev. Mary Cole and Pleasant Grove CME Church. All are invited. Dinner will be served. Contact Wanda McNeil, Missionary president. Rev. Charles Dooley is pastor.
• WOMEN IN HAT PROGRAM will be held at Smith Grove M.B. Church, 2 p.m. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Tenisha Craft from Mt. Moriah M.B. Church.
• TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL PROGRAM will be held at Smith Grove, 11 a.m. Guest speaker will be Evangelist Kim Mays of Hopewell M.B. Church in Independence.
• A Yard sale will be held at the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, (behind the post office), Friday and Saturday, May 24th and 25th from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Fish fry St. Mark Church, 3500 Hwy. 178, 11 a.m. Sponsored by the ushers. Proceeds to church building fund. 662-252-5656.
• BIRTHDAY BASH Holly Springs High School Class of 1981 Birthday Bash will be held at Infinity Career College, 960 Hwy. 4 East, 7 p.m.-12 p.m. Donations of $50 per classmate is requested. To rsvp or for more information call Tamara Scales Jackson at 601-819-0068.
• ANNUAL MEN AND WOMEN’S DAY will be held at Shady Grove C.M.E. Church, Hwy. 309 S., 2:30 p.m.
The guests will be Rev. Mark Davis and Wyatte Community Church. Everyone is invited. Cornelia Booker is pastor.
• THE SPIRITUAL FOUR will have their anniversary at Rising Star MB Church. Raffle tickets will be sold. Admission is free. Contact 662-557-3990 for more info.
• Time change Free Branch morning worship has changed to first Sundays at 11 a.m. and second through fifth Sundays at 9 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Joe Tunstall. Sunday school and Bible school on Wed. nights, 6 p.m.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever first, secnd, and third Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; fourth Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page