Thursday, February 16, 2012
Calendar of Events
• Open Gym Night hosted by AfterShock Youth of Friendship Assembly of God, Victoria at 7 p.m. All youth and their friends welcome, ages 13 to 25, for a night of basketball, games, refreshments or just hang out and have fun.
• BOARD MEETING The Holly Springs High School board meeting will be held February 16 in the library, 6 p.m.
• PRE-ANNIVERSARY Faithful Gospel Singers of New Albany will have a pre-anniversary program at Jones Grove Church, 7 p.m. There will be several groups and singers from around. M.C. will be Dave Glass. For more info. call Betty Raimey, 662-278-9388.
• Mexican-style fellowship supper will be held in the fellowship hall of the Victoria United Methodist Church, from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. The community is invited.
• Free throw All boys and girls ages 10 to 14 are invited to participate in the local level of competition for the 2012 Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship, 11 a.m. at Holy Family School Gymnasium on West Street in Holly Springs. Participants are required to furnish proof of age and written parental consent. Information and entry forms have been sent to all area schools. If additional info is needed, please contact Claude Vinson at 662-252-2567 or Victor Beard at 662-252-2018.
• First ladies love banquet sponsored by Strawberry MB Church, in the Rust College cafeteria. To nominate the first ladies of area churches, please call 662-551-0992.
• BLACK HISTORY PROGRAM will be held at Wall Hill Church of Christ, 5 p.m.
• Pioneers Program Antioch M.B. Church, 1306 Gardner Rd, Victoria, will have a Pioneers Program, Saturday, February 18 at 6 p.m. Everyone is invited. Rev. Roger Daniel, pastor.
• PRAYER BREAKFAST celebrating Bruce Williams’ birthday, pastor of Ark of Safety Outreach Ministries will be held at 9 a.m. For more info. call the church office at 662-551-1500; Mychal Jeffries, 662-252-9643; or Yolanda Jones, 901-848-6070.
• A MENTOR BRUNCH will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church, 10 a.m. Speaker will be Rev. Chris Hill. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor. All young men are encouraged to attend.
• Class meeting HSHS Class of 1970, to prepare for the class reunion, Sat., Feb. 18, 2 p.m. at the home of Bobbie Jean Smith-Mitchell. For more info. call 662-801-5361.
• BLACK HISTORY PROGRAM will be held at New Hope M.B. Church, 3120 Hwy. 310, 2:30 p.m. Guests will be MacArthur King and Jeffries Chapel MB Church. Pastor is Dr. Bessie Tables. Sponsors are Anna L. Mitchell, 252-2028; or Ivory KaShun Kinard, 662-587-5035.
• PROGRAM Hopewell No. 2 MB Church Women in White Program will be held at 11 a.m. Everyone is invited. Susie Glover is sponsor and Danny Kimbrough is host pastor.
• February service, Hudsonville CME Church, will begin at 10 a.m. From blues to gospel. Come and see.
• Black history program, 2 p.m. Adolphus Chapel Church. Speaker will be Dale Keiffer DeBerry. Old fashioned supper served. Everyone is invited. Special invitation to the Holly High Class of 1980. Pastor, Billy Williams.
• Business After Hours Holly Springs Chamber of Commerce invites you to Shape Up & Tan Fitness Center, Feb. 21, 5-7 p.m. In celebration of National Heart Month, free blood pressure checks will be provided.
• COUPON SWAP will be held at Carey Chapel Baptist, 6-7:30 p.m. Simply bring coupons you don’t want. For more info. contact Renee Floyd, 901-834-5658.
• Relay For life team captains meeting will be held at the county library, 5:15 p.m. This is a very important meeting. All captains please be present. If you are not able to attend, please send one of your team members. If your team is not registered, we can register them at the meeting. The committee will meet directly after at 6:15 p.m. Our staff person, Amy Wilkes, will be present.
• Retirement celebration for Rev. Don Wilson, pastor of Byhalia First Presbyterian and Lamar Presbyterian churches. To be held at The Flame, back building of Byhalia United Methodist Church, Fri., Feb. 24, 6-9 p.m. RSVP by Sun., Feb. 19, to Amy Burrow, 901-674-3593 or Kay Kight, 662-838-2388. In lieu of gifts, please consider a donation to the Wilson’s Love Offering, M&F Bank, Byhalia branch or contact Amy Burrow or Kay Kight. Everyone is invited.
• WILD GAME Spring Hill Baptist Church, Waterford, will host its 7th Annual Wild Game Supper at 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Bro. Randy Bain, pastor of First Baptist Church, Water Valley. There will be door prizes, food, fellowship, and a great message. Come and support this event and receive a blessing. Host pastor is Bro. John Parker.
• GIRLS’ HOUR GIRL POWER will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church, 11 a.m. All girls ages 13 and up are encouraged to attend. Rev. Hoey pastor.
• Movie Night at Mt. Pisgah CME Church featuring “Joseph” will be Saturday, February 25, at 6 p.m., $3 a ticket in advance, $5 at the door. For ticket information contact Elder Eddie Wilson or Linda Whitlock Wilson at 252-4706 or 601-731-8386 or 601-731-4934. Mt. Pisgah is located at 3877 Cayce Road.
• Singing Rice Chapel United Methodist Church, Hwy. 72, Feb. 25 with Marvin Morrow. Singing at 7 p.m., fellowship at 6 p.m. Everyone is invited. Rev. Waldon Meyers, pastor.
• BLACK HISTORY PROGRAM will be held at Hopewell No. 2 MB Church, 9 a.m. Everyone is invited. Sponsors are Sharon LeSure and Yulanda Sellers. Host pastor is Danny Kimbrough.
• End of month program, Hudsonville CME Church, to close out the month.
• Family and friends day True Vine MB Church, 525 West St., Feb. 26, 2 p.m. Everyone is invited. Darrell Cunningham, pastor.
• Youth day program Mt. Sinai COGIC, Mt. Pleasant, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Pastor Thomas Trent and Rehoboth Urban Outreach Ministries of Memphis, Tenn. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• Black history program St. Paul CME Church, 4759 Higdon Rd., invites everyone to celebrate with them. Rev. Ben Norman and Kimbrough Chapel MB Church will be guests.
• BLACK HISTORY Program will be held at Ark of Safety Outreach Ministries, Red Banks, 2:30 p.m. Guest speaker will be Pastor Michael Gordon and New Springhill M.B. Church in Strayhorn.
• CHOIR ANNIVERSARY will be held at Bell Grove, Chulahoma, 3 p.m. Rev. Marvin Lucas, senior pastor, invites all.
• Black History program, at Greenfield Presbyterian Church, 5024 Old Hwy. 7 South, on the fourth Sunday, February 26, 3 p.m. Virginia B. Wilson will be our speaker, Rev. W. James Lyons, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Meeting Sun., Feb. 26, 3 p.m. at Bethlehem Methodist Church, concerning the upkeep of the cemetery. Anyone with loved ones buried there or who is interested, please attend.
• Black history program Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., Feb. 26, 11 a.m. W.C. Conner, host pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Wild game supper Red Banks Banks Church 3rd Annual Men’s Wild Game Supper! Saturday, March 3 starting at 6 p.m. We welcome you to bring your favorite game dish or come as you are. Door prizes will be given also. For more information call 662-544-7051. You can also email email@example.com or check details on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/redbanksbc. Bro. Jonathan Childress, pastor.
• Meeting W.T. Sims High School Class of 1967 will meet March 3, 4 p.m. at Pizza Hut on Hwy. 7, Holly Springs. Important, please attend. Chairman, James Alford.
• Obedience classes Canine obedience classes begin Sat., March 3, 9 a.m. at the Holly Springs Fire Dept., Proceeds benefit K-9 search and rescue teams. Six-week course, $40. Call 662-252-1004 for more info. Owner must provide written proof of dog shots at time of registration. Judy Otto, K-9 Search One, instructor, with experienced assistants.
• Women’s Conference presented by Salt and Light Ministries, March 8-9, 7 p.m. night, March 10, 10 a.m. and Sun., March 11, worship service, 11 a.m. Guest speaker, Evangelist Karen Johnson, Pentecostal Temple, Memphis, Tenn. For more info. call 662-397-6443, 662-544-4015.
• Musical program, Free Branch MB Church, 2233 Higdon Rd., Sat., March 10, 6 p.m. Pastor, Rev. Joe L. Tunstall. Several groups on the program. Sponsored by Bro. M.T. Lesure. Everyone is invited.
• Men’s Day Program, at Greenfield Presbyterian Church, 5024 Old Hwy 7 South, on the second Sunday, March 11, at 3 p.m. Rev. John Powell and Jones Grove Church will be our guests. Everyone is invited.
• CHOIR DAY will be held at Hopewell No. 2 MB Church, 2 p.m. All choirs are welcome. Sponsors are Cherie Brownlee, Sharvitta King and Monika LeSure. Host pastor is Danny Kimbrough.
• LOVE DAY Pastor Willie James and first lady Cassie Taylor’s Love Day will be held at Mt. Olive M.B. Church, Byhalia, 3 p.m. The guest church will be Pastor Charles Gillespie and the New Mt. Gilliam church family. Everyone’s invited.
• REUNION Holly Springs High School Class of 1982 is planning their 30th reunion for May 25-27. Please contact committee members Patty (Foster) Robinson, 662-252-2921; Karen (Ratcliff) Morgan, 469-733-7960; Edith (Bridgeforth) Sims, 662-564-4200; Viera Roseburg, 601-316-7369; Claude Vinson, 901-212-9854; Anthony Anderson, 404-259-1258.
• REUNION The Newsom Family Reunion will be held July 6-8. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of Michael Newsom, Sr., granddaughter of Erma Newsom Wallace and great-granddaughter of the late Arvern/Katie Newsom) at 732-821-2084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook: Friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• REUNION The Hardin Family Reunion will be held July 13-15. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of the late Willie Jean Hardin Wells and granddaughter of Georgia/Willie Hardin) at 732-821-2084; or email email@example.com or Facebook: friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page