Thursday, February 9, 2012
Police seize marijuana
By SUE WATSON
Holly Springs police officers arrested two men last week and seized about seven pounds of marijuana from their vehicle, according to chief James Dean.
The two suspects, who gave police Greenville addresses, were stopped during a routine traffic safety check on Chulahoma at the intersection of Cedar Hills and officers smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car, he said.
Dean said officers believe the men made a buy out in the county and were intending to take the marijuana back to Greenville.
Leo Jennings Jr., 28, of 1249 Gibbons Street, and Orsbie Johnson Jr., 34, of 333 South Eureka Street, both in Greenville, were arrested and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell, Dean said.
Other felony arrests included three 15-year-old juvenile males who are suspects in a residential burglary.
Also arrested last week was Cornelius Jenkins, 21, of the 500 block of Robindale Lane, Holly Springs, who was charged with felony shoplifting, driving on a suspended license and disregard for a traffic device, the chief said.
James Carter, 49, of 313 Keeton Road, Pontotoc, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and on a grand larceny charge issued by Tupelo, Chief Dean said.
Officers responded to 99 calls last week. They included – disturbances, 19; alarms, 13; larcenies, 3; accidents, 4; agency assists, 3; funerals, 1; domestic, 3; burglaries, 3; stolen vehicles, 3; and 47 miscellaneous calls. The dog catcher answered 9 calls.
Officers took the following reports:
Monday, Jan. 30
• harassment in the 1000 block of Rising Star Road.
• disorderly conduct in the 100 block of North Walthall Street.
Tuesday, Jan. 31
• identity theft in the 700 block of Old Highway 4 West.
• domestic violence/aggravated assault in the 300 block of Cuba Street.
Wednesday, Feb. 1
• petit larceny in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
Thursday, Feb. 2
• residential burglary in the 400 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• domestic disturbance in the 200 block of Smith Trailer Park.
• domestic violence/simple assault in the 100 block of Greenbriar Circle.
Friday, Feb. 3
• residential burglary in the 1000 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• stolen vehicle in the 900 block of Mackie Drive.
• petit larceny in the 300 block of East College Avenue.
• residential burglary in the 200 block of North Walthall Street.
• petit larceny in the 100 block of Van Dorn.
• domestic disturbance in the 200 block of North Randolph Street.
Saturday, Feb. 4
• grand larceny/auto theft in the 600 block of West Lake Drive.
Sunday, Feb. 5
• simple assault in the 100 block of Memphis Street.
• trespassing in the 900 block of West Woodward Avenue.
Officers reported the following citations:
• no proof of liability insurance, 17
• disregard for traffic device, 3
• careless driving, 2
• speeding, 31
• no/expired tag, 5
• child restraint violations, 2
• improper passing, 1
• no/expired driver’s license, 6
• possession of controlled substance, 3
• loud music, 1
• and other violations, 1.
Officers made the following misdemeanor arrests:
• driving while license suspended/no proof of liability insurance/careless driving/DUI, 1
• domestic violence/simple assault, 2
• contempt of court, 6
• disorderly conduct, 3
• driving while license suspended/speeding/no proof of liability insurance, 2
• driving while license suspended/no proof of liability insurance, 1
• no/expired driver’s license, 1
• and simple assault, 1.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page