Thursday, October 4, 2012
Calendar of Events
• Walk to school day Holly Springs Primary School will be joining schools from around the world to celebrate International Walk to School Day. We will begin meeting at the Marshall County Heath Department at 7 a.m. and walk in small groups to the school. Primary school students must be accompanied by an adult. The Holly Springs Police Department will have Elder Street from the health department to South Maury Street blocked to car traffic from 7 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. For more information call Nurse Adams, 662-252-1768.
• FISH FRY Cayce Fire Department will have their annual fish fry, 5-7 p.m. Tickets may be bought from any fireman, at the door, or at Gossett Auto Parts or A-1 Small Engines.
• In revival Apostolic Church of Jesus, 178 Stonewall Rd., Byhalia, will be in revival with Evangelist Ken Davis from Mt. Vernon, Ala., Oct. 5-7. Fri. and Sat., service at 7:30 p.m., Sun. services, 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Pastor Garland Loveless and church members invite everyone.
• CONFERENCE Kimbrough Chapel hosts their 6th annual Women’s Conference at 6 p.m. and Saturday morning at 10 a.m. Admission is $8. Sponsors are Stella Bryson and Helen Smith.
•Homecoming Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, located half a mile south of Goodman on Cayce, will hold their annual homecoming beginning at 12 noon. We are expecting many guest performers including The Watkins, The Burnetts, and our featured guests will be The Williams Family. Dinner will begin at noon, with singing beginning at 1 p.m. Everyone come on out and enjoy some good food, fun, and fellowship.
• 108th Reunion, 12 noon until, at the National Guard Armory in Holly Springs. If you were a member of the 108th AC in Holly Springs or Ripley, please attend. For more info. call Johnnie, 662-544-2862.
• SINGING New Garden Baptist Church is having a gospel singing featuring Megan Tate Nichols and Bluff City Quartet. Fellowship will be at 5 p.m. and singing at 6 p.m. The church is located at 4831 Sycamore Road, Coldwater.
• FLEA MARKET, fish fry and car wash at New Dimension Church, 565 Neely Avenue, Holly Springs, 8 a.m.-12 noon. All proceeds benefit the church.
• Singing Chewalla Baptist Church, Oct. 6, with Saving Grace, at 7 p.m. Fellowship at 6 p.m.
• Prayer breakfast PROWL Prayer Ministry, Sat., Oct. 6, 10 a.m. at Greenfield Presbyterian Church. Speakers will be Evangelist Dorothy Palmer and Elder Larry Bowie. Pastor W. James Lyons and church family welcome you. An advance count will be appreciated. Please call the church at 662-252-3311 and leave your count on the message system.
• Walk-a-thon Hudsonville CME Church, Sat., Oct. 6, 7 a.m. Breakfast will be served. Elder Bobby G. Wilson, pastor. Come walk for LIFE.
• Prayer breakfast Hopewell No. 2 M.B. Church prayer breakfast will be held Saturday, October 6, 9 a.m. Everyone is invited to attend. Speaker, Elder Melandy Simmons.
• SPIDER WALK Strawberry Plains Audubon Center hosts Twilight Series: Nighttime Spider Walk beginning at 6:30 p.m. Bring a flashlight or headlight and dress for the outdoors. Spaces limited. RSVP required. Contact Andrea Schuhmann, 662-252-1155 to reserve your spot.
• FRIENDS AND FAMILY DAY will be held at Holly Springs Church of Christ with Dr. Jesse Robertson as the guest speaker. The HIMS, an a cappella gospel quartet, will sing in the afternoon. Bible class is 10 a.m., worship 11 a.m., lunch at noon, devotional at 1:30 and the HIMS at 2 p.m.
• Annual Choir Day Grays Chapel CME Church in the Hudsonville community will be having their annual Choir Day on October 7 at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Brian Davis Sr. is pastor.
• Celebrating 38th anniversary The West Holly Springs Singing Union will celebrate its 38th anniversary, Sun., Oct. 7, at Chulahoma MB Church, Hwy. 4 West. Guest church will be Shiloh MB Church of Barton, with Rev. Gary Davis delivering the message. Host pastor is Rev. Lonnie Whitfield. Rev. Van Rayford is Union president. Everyone is invited.
• FALL REVIVAL will be held at First Baptist Church, Hickory Flat, October 7-10. Sunday services 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Monday through Wednesday, 7 p.m. Visit us at www.hickoryflatbc.org or call 333-7752.
• MUSICIAN’S APPRECIATION PROGRAM will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church, 2:30 p.m., for long-time and well known pianist, Sis. Ida Mae Patrick. Rev. Willie Hoey is pastor. Everyone is invited.
• ANNIVERSARY Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church invites you to attend and celebrate their Pastor and Wife’s 47th anniversary celebration at 11:30 a.m. The church is located at 228 S.A. Phillips Dr., Red Banks.
• Paint class, First Baptist Church activity building, Oct. 9, beginning at 5:30 p.m. Call 662-252-0849 or 662-252-3656 for more info. Registration ends Oct. 5. Sponsored by the Pilot Club of Holly Springs. All proceeds go to St. Jude Children’s Hospital.
• Yard sale The Victoria United Methodist Church, Hwy. 178 (behind the post office) Victoria, will hold a yard sale, October 12 and 13, 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. We appreciate all who come out and support our little church.
• think pink Please join the Marshall County Relay for Life and “think pink,” Fri., Oct. 12, at Carlisle’s Big Star parking lot. Balloons will be released at 5 p.m.
• PRE-ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have a pre-anniversary service for Curtis and Richenda Pritchard at 7 p.m. Special guests will be Connie Wright and the House of Faith Ministries of Somerville, Tenn. Everyone is invited.
• BARREL RACE Marshall County Annual Kudzu Classic Barrel Race will be held at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy. 7 North, Holly Springs. Gates open at 8 a.m. and trainers starts at 9 a.m. For more info. call 662-252-5441.
• HUNTER SAFETY COURSE sponsored by MDWFP will be held at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy. 7 North, Holly Springs. Call Danny Mills at 662-629-0160 for more info.
• Fall festival Brookside Church, 4993 Goodman Rd., will have their Fall Festival/Crafts Fair, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. There will be live music, food, games, bounces, face painting and much more. We will be giving away donated items. If you would like to donate an item or gift certificate call Stacy Culver, 662-890-4069 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Singing Marianna Church, Hwy. 309 S., with Inspired by Grace from New Albany. Fellowship meal at 5 p.m., singing at 6. Everyone welcome.
• Harvest festival First Southern Baptist Church, Victoria, Oct. 13, 5 p.m. All children 12 and under welcome. Food, fun, games, hayride and more.
• Poker run for Taylor Oct. 13, with registration beginning at 11 a.m., kickstands up at 12 noon at Bo Jangles (VFW) in Holly Springs, and ending at D’s Bar and Grill (formerly Goodfella’s) with barbecue and live entertainment. For more info., please call Theresa, 662-544-1471, or Melissa, 901-690-1176. Taylor is in the hospital, fighting for his life.
• Homecoming Isaac Chapel CME Church, will have homecoming Oct. 14, 11 a.m. Pastor Charles Lesure and Newell Chapel church family will be guests. Pastor Willie Ward, host pastor. All are invited.
• Mass choir day Hudsonville CME Church, Sun., Oct. 14, 2 p.m. All choirs, families and friends are invited. Elder Bobby G. Wilson, pastor.
• Pastor and wife’s anniversary Mt. Moriah MB Church will celebrate Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson and Sister Flo Wilson’s 19th anniversary on Sun., Oct. 14, at 11 a.m. worship. Guest speaker will be Rev. Patrick Washington from Palestine MB Church in Blue Mountain.
• MEETING The Marshall County Humane Society will have its regular monthly meeting at the Humane Society building on Eddie L. Smith Drive in Holly Springs, 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
• PRE-ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have a pre-anniversary service for Curtis and Richenda Pritchard at 7 p.m. Special guests will be Linwood Dillard and the Citadel C.O.G.I.C. of Memphis, Tenn. Everyone is invited.
• RODEO J Bar B/Deep South Rodeo will be held at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy. 7 North, Holly Springs. For more info call 662-252-4634.
• FALL FESTIVAL The Apostolic Church of Jesus, located at 178 Stonewall Road, Byhalia, invites everyone to attend their fall festival, 4 p.m. There will be a trunk or treat, slide and moon bounce, chili cookoff, weiner roast, games and hayride. For more info. contact Pastor Loveless, 662-838-8110.
• Seven seal rally, Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, Oct. 21 with Rev. Willie Jeffries and Strawberry MB Church as guests. Everyone invited. Rev. Robert Odum, pastor.
• Annual Harvest Day program, St. Paul C.M.E. Church, Holly Springs, Sunday, October 21, 2:30 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Gifton Jones, of New Jerusalem MB Church of Memphis, Tenn. Rev. Charles Dooley is pastor. The program is sponsored by the Steward board.
• HONOR PROGRAM The Golden Stars Memorial Celebration honoring deceased members will be held at Strawberry M.B. Church, 6 p.m.
• WOMEN’S DAY The United Methodist Women of Calvin Chapel United Methodist Church will have their annual Women’s Day Program, 3 p.m. The guest speaker will be Rev. Dr. Bessie Tables of New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Laws Hill.
• ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have an anniversary service for Curtis and Richenda Pritchard at 7 p.m. Special guests will be Superintendent Albert Pass and the Christ Temple C.O.G.I.C. of Holly Springs. Everyone is invited.
• HOMECOMING Nichols Chapel CME Church located in the town of Byhalia will hold their annual homecoming at 2:30 p.m. Guest church will be St. Paul M.B. Church of Byhalia with Rev. Andrew Cheairs deliving the message. Dinner will begin after services. Everyone is invited. Michael Adams is pastor.
• REVIVAL will be held at Chewalla Baptist Church, Oct. 24-26, 7 p.m. nightly with Bro. Andy Skelton as guest speaker. Mike DeVore will be leading the singing. Everyone is welcome.
• MEETING Marshall County Cattleman’s Association Meeting and Dinner will be held at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy. 7 North, Holly Springs. For information or to become a member call the Extension office at 662-252-3541.
• Classes 80-95 will host the 3rd Annual Homecoming Alumni Mix & Mingle weekend October 26-28. An exciting and fun-filled weekend has been planned. Join our group on Facebook called “Rangers Run This” or look us up on email@example.com to receive the itinerary and complete details. This event will help provide scholarship funding for a deserving NWCC Student. The activities will include old school music, tailgating, barbecue, comedy show, and a night out on the town at one of Memphis’ hottest night spots. Remember ‘ain't no party like a Rangers party. Hope to see you there.
• 8th Annual Free Fall Festival at CrossPointe Church, 6400 Blocker St. in Olive Branch,. Saturday, October 27 from 3-6 p.m. Games, petting zoo, bounces, food, candy and so much more to enjoy. All Free!
• Benefit program Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is sponsoring a benefit for Bro. Tommie Lee Liggins, Sat., Oct. 27, 6 p.m. Everyone invited. Rev. Robert Odum, pastor.
• Men & Women’s Conference Mt. Ollie MB Church, Potts Camp, Oct. 27-28. Breakfast, 8 a.m., conference begins at 9 until 12 noon. Women’s program, Sun., Oct. 28, 2 p.m. Dinner will be served. Rev. Anthony Marion, pastor.
• ANNIVERSARY Kimbrough Chapel Church hosts their 117th anniversary, 11 a.m. Guest pastor will be Danny Kimmons and Hopewell No. 2. Host pastor is JW Smith Jr.
• BENEFIT Jones M.B. Church, Hwy. 7 South, Holly Springs will have a benefit program for Minister Larry Martin at 5 p.m. All choirs and male chorus are invited. Rev. John Powell is pastor. Program is sponsored by Clarence Hudson and the Hudson Singers.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page