Thursday, September 6, 2012
Calendar of Events
• TOURNEY Byhalia Sports Association will host an adult coed softball tournament, Sept. 6-8, at the Lowry Road location. To register or for more information contact Janice, 901-246-8843; or Chris, 901-326-0753. Deadline for entry is Sept. 4.
• GRAND OPENING CELEBRATION of a Very Present Help Ministry will be held at 120 Randolph Street (former Health Dept. Building), from 1-3 p.m. All are welcome.
•WATERCOLOR CLASSES will be held in Byhalia. For more info. call Margaret Williams, 662-838-7078 after 6 p.m. Classes will also be held Sept. 13, 20, and 27.
• PTA meeting, Holly Springs High School, Thursday, September 6, at 5:30 p.m., in the high school library. Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend.
• APPRECIATION Davis Temple Outreach Ministries, 635 West St., will be celebrating their Pastor and Wife’s 14th Pastoral Appreciation Sept. 5-7 at 7 p.m. nightly; and Sept. 9 at 3 p.m. Host pastor is Elder Robert Davis. Everyone is invited.
• HUMMINGBIRD The annual Hummingbird Migration Celebration and Nature Festival will be held Sept. 7-9, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at Strawberry Plains Audubon Center in Holly Springs. For more information visit strawberryplains.audubon.org.
• Craft fair Carey Chapel Baptist Church, 170 Carey Chapel Rd., Red Banks, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Homemade crafts, food, concessions and much more.
• SCHOOL SUPPLIES Powell Chapel Church family will be having their annual school supplies giveaway. The event will be held on the courthouse lawn beginning at 10 a.m. For more info. call 662-252-7875.
• Sunday school night, Kimbrough Chapel Church. Sept. 8, 6 p.m. with The Strong Soldiers from South MS. Sponsor is Charles Ambrose. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. The public is invited.
• ANNUAL MEETING The Bethel Cemetery Association, Inc. will hold its annual meeting at Bethel Presbyterian Church, 3810 Bethel Rd., Olive Branch, 2 p.m.
• MUSICIANS’ APPRECIATION Rising Star M.B. Church invites all groups, choirs, male choruses to join in songs of praise at 3 p.m. Pastor is Robert McClain.
• ANNIVERSARY Adolphus CME Church will celebrate their 142nd anniversary at 2 p.m. The speaker will be Rev. Jessie Johnson of the Greater Antioch M.B. Church in Fulton, Ky. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Billy Williams.
• SENIOR CHOIR DAY Kimbrough Chapel M.B. Church will be celebrating Senior Choir Day, 2 p.m. All are welcome. Pastor is J.W. Smith.
• A special Music Ministry service will be held by the choir at Friendship Assembly of God at 10 a.m. The church is located on Hwy. 78, Victoria Exit 18; right on Friendship Road.
• MUSICIAN’S APPRECIATION Mt. Zion Taska Missionary Baptist Church, 519 Mt. Zion Road, will have a Musician’s Appreciation Program at 5 p.m. For more info. call Dorothy Todd, 662-851-4054; or Angela Garrison, 901-319-8230.
• Revival Anderson Chapel CME Church, Sept. 9-12, 7 p.m. nightly. There will be speakers nightly. Everyone is invited.
• Hunter Safety Class will be held Sept. 10-12, 6:30-10 p.m. at the Byhalia High School, 278 Hwy. 309 N. You must be at least 10 years of age to be certified. Bring your Social Security number. For more info. and to register for class, call 662-840-5172.
• BENEFIT The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will be having a Benefit Program for Min. Sammie & Sis. Curtanya Smith (Min. Sammie spent Jan. - June 2012 in the hospital with a life-threatening illness) at 6 p.m. We are asking for donations, prayer, and participation from choirs and groups. To send donations or to be a part of the program, please contact Sis. Willanda Marshall (901) 864-6697; Sis. Delois Briggs (662) 544-0637; or Sis. Curesa Smith (901) 282-1862. The pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard, Sr.
• 7TH ANNUAL PRAISE IN THE PARK Sponsored by Redeemed Fellowship Ministries Church Youth Department, 4 p.m., in the Holly Springs City Park. The park is located at the intersection of W. College and NW Boundary. For more information call Tamara Jeffries, 662-306-0093.
• The Busby-Waldrop reunion will be held at Wall Doxey State Park, Hwy. 7 South, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. All relatives and descendants of Valentino Busby/Maggie Mae Osteen, Adolphus Waldrop/Susie McClellan Phillips are invited to attend. Each family is asked to bring a covered dish. For more info. call 662-551-4331.
• REVIVAL The First Baptist Church of Potts Camp will have a revival Saturday, September 15, through Wednesday, September 19, 7 p.m. nightly. The guest speaker will be James Lewis.
• TRIBUTE The Stars of Faith are honoring local musicians at Finley M.B. Church, 6 p.m. For more info. call Quatavius Mason at 901-605-1299 or Betty Raimey at 662-278-9388.
• Fifty State Drive Program, Macedonia C.M.E. Church, Ashland, 2 p.m. Rev. Eric Shields and the Living Word Church will be special guests, Rev. Morris Q. Stephens, pastor.
• Friendship Family Day hosted by Friendship Assembly of God will be held all day at Wall Doxey State Park. Service time begins at 9 a.m. There will be a picnic dinner with horseshoes, volleyball, fishing, Frisbee golf, games, worship and praise.
• MEETING The Marshall County Humane Society will have its regular monthly meeting at the Humane Society building on Eddie L. Smith Drive in Holly Springs, 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
• A spaghetti supper will be held 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Victoria United Methodist Church fellowship hall, Hwy. 178, (behind the post office) Victoria. Come join us for good food and fellowship.
• REUNION The Byhalia High Class of 1972 will have their 40th class reunion at the Butcher Shop Steakhouse, 107 South Germantown Parkway, 6 p.m. For more info. contact Martha Echols McGowan 662-564-2219 or Izolar Harper, 901-438-3004.
• Prayer Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. will be hosted by Honor Bound Men’s Ministry of Friendship Assembly of God, Victoria. All men are invited.
• Election Marshall County Branch of the NAACP will elect a nominating committee Sept. 22, 10 a.m. Oct. 27, 10 a.m., an election supervisory committee will be elected. Nov. 24, 10 a.m., election of officers and executive committee members. All meetings at Asbury United Methodist Church, 225 W. College Ave., Holly Springs.
• Third annual Fun Day, Sat., Sept. 22, Potts Camp Park, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sponsored by the Town of Potts Camp. Free food for kids. Concessions, games, cake walk, bouncing inflatables, live music and much more. Donations accepted. All proceeds benefit the Park Fund. For more info. call 662-333-7285.
• WOMEN’S MONTH at Isaac Chapel Church, Hwy. 309 S. The annual day will be held at 2:30 p.m. The guest speaker will be Pastor Agnew of Beverly Chapel CME Church in Tupelo. Host pastor is Rev. Willie Ward.
• Family and Friend’s Day, Sept. 23, 2:30 p.m. New Faith Outreach Ministries, 1296 S. Red Banks Rd. Speaker, Minister Jeremy Robinson, Memphis, Tenn. Host pastor, Apostle Tracy Jeffries.
• See You At The Pole. Groups of students gathering at the flag pole of Friendship Christian Academy with songs, worship, and prayer for the local community leaders, government and president will be held at 8:30 a.m. All parents are invited. Melanie Lott is chapel director.
• Revival, Sept. 26-28, 7 p.m. New Faith Outreach Ministries with speaker Apostle Norman Johnson. Host pastor, Apostle Tracy Jeffries.
• Girls Sleep Over hosted by the Missionettes of Friendship Assembly of God will be held from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 29. For more info. call 662-838-4000.
• Friday night fight One night revival at Kimbrough Chapel Church. Guest speaker Rev. Odie Williams. Host pastor, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr. The public is invited.
• FLASHBACK ’70s Friends of Marshall Academy present Flashback ’70s, 7 p.m. at Oak Palace. Tickets are $20 per person in advance or $25 at the door. ’70s attire welcome – put on your boogie shoes and dance the night away with good friends and good music for a good cause. There will be hors d’oeuvres, an auction, games, raffles, and door prizes. All proceeds benefit Marshall Academy. For tickets contact Anita Gresham at email@example.com.
• Singing Sat., Sept. 29, 6 p.m., Calvary Baptist Church, Hwy. 5 in Ashland with New Ground as the featured group.
• INSTALLATION SERVICE of Officers will be held at Wilkins Chapel, 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Rev. Lawrence McKinzie. Host pastor is Rev. Robert Odum.
• “AfterShock” Youth will have an AM Service at Friendship Assembly of God, 10 a.m. with special guest Evangelist Ryan Post. Everyone is invited. The church is located on Hwy. 78, Victoria Exit 18, right on Friendship Road.
• Section I will be meeting at Solid Rock Assembly of God for a special sectional service beginning at 6 p.m.
• Men in black Mt. Sinai COGIC, Mt. Pleasant, Sun., Sept. 30, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Gunnette Joyner and the Spirit of Life COGIC of Byhalia. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
•Homecoming Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, located 1/2 mile south of Goodman on Cayce, will hold their annual homecoming on beginning at 12 noon. We are expecting many guest performers including the Watkins, the Burnetts, and our featured guests will be The Williams Family. Dinner will begin at noon, with singing beginning at 1 p.m. Everyone come on out and enjoy some good food, fun, and fellowship.
• Fall festival and crafts fair will be held at Brookside Church. The crafts fair will be from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.. The fall festival will be from 11a.m.-2 p.m. For more information visit our website www.brooksideob.com or contact the church office 662-890-4069.
• Classes 80-95 will host the 3rd Annual Homecoming Alumni Mix & Mingle weekend October 26-28. An exciting and fun-filled weekend has been planned. Join our group on facebook called “Rangers Run This” or look us up on firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the itinenary and complete details. This event will help provide scholarship funding for a deserving NWCC Student. The activities will include old school music, tailgating, bbq, comedy show, and a night out on the town at one of Memphis’ hottest night spots. Remember ‘aint no party like a Rangers party. Hope to see you there.
• INTERCESSORY PRAYER HOUSE GATHERING - House of Prayer Outreach Ministries (553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia) will have intercessory prayer every third Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Pastor is Commanda Lesure. For more information call 662-874-9186 or Catherine Todd at 662-564-3419.
• HOUSE OF PRAYER OUTREACH MINISTRIES welcomes you to come and worship with us Sundays at 10 a.m.; noon day prayer on Tuesdays and deliverance services on Friday at 7 p.m. The church is located at 553 Tunstall Rd., Byhalia. Commanda Lesure is pastor. For more information call 662-874-9186
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page