Thursday, July 19, 2012
Margaret Brown and friends celebrate in San Francisco
Last week, Margaret Brown and some college buddies took a trip to San Francisco and the Wine Country to celebrate their 56th birthdays -- and all were born in 1956! They enjoyed every aspect of the trip, especially just being together. It was an old Chi Omega/Tri Delta reunion with Larke Landis from Germantown, Tenn., Lindy Penny from Ft. Worth, Texas, Angie Pradat from Nashville, Tenn., and Margaret. A great time was had by all!
Jacque Kazemba and children, Hallie, Drew and Will, along with Jerry Beck, travelled to Cherokee, North Carolina, last week. They stopped off in Corinth, to visit with Jerry B. and Diane Beck and children, Jake and Kimball. While in North Carolina, they visited with family and scattered the ashes of beloved Joyce Beck.
Caitlyn Brooks spent the weekend at Pickwick with Lexi Crawford and her family. They had a wonderful time taking in the sights.
Mary Clay Brooks and Kay Wheeler had a nice visit Sunday afternoon with Gay and Jack Stubbs in Oxford. Gay has been recuperating from surgery after having fallen ill while on a trip overseas to Bangkok, Thailand.
(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail email@example.com; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261.
You may also e-mail your City Personal news to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tamara Robinson and Carlos Cox to wed July 28
Tommy and Gwendolyn Robinson of Lake Center are pleased to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter Tamara Shevette Robinson to Carlos Antrell Cox, son of Robert and Dorothy Cox of Chulahoma.
The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Minnie Mae Neely and the late Joe Lee Tuggle of Holly Springs and the late Mr. and Mrs. Dan Robinson of Lake Center.
She is a 2007 graduate of Holly Springs High School and 2008 graduate of Delta Technical College.
The prospective groom is the grandson of Mary F. Scruggs (the late Marcus “Bud” Scruggs Sr.) and the late Mr. and Mrs. Lester Cox of Chulahoma.
He is a 2006 graduate of Byhalia High School and a 2007 and 2009 graduate of Northwest Community College.
The wedding will be Saturday, July 28, 2012, at 3 p.m. at Chulahoma MB Church in Holly Springs. A reception will be held immediately following at the Oak Palace.
Thistledome – known as Camp Byhalia
In Byhalia, Thistledome originally was purchased from John Glascow in 1835. It originally had 600 acres. He bought it at an auction from William and Elizabeth Hunt, who later owned Hunt Place and paid $88 for property that consisted of seven lots of land plus 88 slaves included in the purchase. Joseph William Chalmers was trustee for the Hunts and his fee for auctioning lot #35 was half the lot. Todd Maxwell and his wife Jill bought it February 20, 2012. E.B. Horn died in 1934 and his wife, “Miss Callie” Horn took over the property. In 1938 she sold it to Malcolm and Grace McAuley. He was state senator and postmaster.
Joseph William Chalmers was a United States congressman as was his son, James Ronald Chalmers. James ran for senate six times and all six times were contested. He was seated three times and not seated the other three times, although he won the popular vote. When James Ronald Chalmers was a brigadier general in the Civil War, Thistledome was known then as Camp Byhalia. It was stationed there because there was one water well in Byhalia. Today, it is under the front porch at Thistledome.
From Camp Byhalia began the Battle of Collierville and the Battle of Shiloh. General Chalmers stole General Sherman’s horses and uniforms at Shiloh and brought them to Camp Byhalia. Then he traded them back to Sherman for prisoners of war. General Chalmers also built the parapets at the river.
Grace McAuley told me when she and Malcolm married, he brought her home to this house which had no name. Malcolm asked, “Will this house do?” and she replied, “This will do me.” And it became Thistledome.
The Maxwells are applying for a National Landmark honor and National Register of Historic Places.
In Holly Springs before the Civil War, Judge Mills moved back here from New Orleans. He was the president of the Northern Bank of Mississippi, which was located where Stafford’s Café was on the corner of Van Dorn and Memphis Street. His beautiful suburban residence was on the site of Mississippi Industrial College. It later was called “Catherine Hall.” Its location was considered out from town on a hill and built at a time when there was a wealth of fine houses that had been constructed during the opulent 1850s.
Judge Mills was the uncle of Dave McDowell. General Samuel Benton’s (one of the Holly Springs generals) wife was a niece of Judge Mills. Benton was a lawyer and a newspaper publisher and we have a $5 bill which Judge Mills printed for “The Northern Bank of Mississippi 1862” which was during the War. There was no paper to print the money so it was printed on the back of Louisiana money. We have some on exhibit here in the Marshall County Historical Museum.
The bank was begun in 1838; bonds were issued which said the money was to be used to build a railroad from Holly Springs to the Mississippi River. If this act wasn’t done in 10 years, the bonds were null and void. At the same time there was more Holly Springs money printed on the back of Louisiana money and we have some that is uncut which is printed in a $2 bill, $3 bill, $5 bill, $10 bill and a $20 bill.
I have been grieved by the demolition of “Catherine Hall” at MI College. However, demolition is better than seeing it used as a rookery by the buzzards, which was like something out of Edgar Allen Poe. It was a monument to the past and is now gone, forever.
At the museum we received from Frank Hopkins III of New York City, where he is manager of Madison Square Gardens, a 1924 greeting card of the Gardens as it looked in 1907 and 1908 when our own Bennie Munroe won the eight-day Bicycle Championship of the World.
Have you discovered the delightful farmers market each Saturday morning on the square? It’s complete with melons, all sorts of fresh vegetables and fruits, including delicious figs! To cap everything off, we have local music and it is more fun! Come early as they have sold out about 10 or 11 a.m.
A hundred years ago Fort Daniel wrote an article about the farmers market that was held in a frame building near the Power House, which is at the intersection of Market Street and Falconer Avenue. They sold melons, black walnuts, scaly bark hickory nuts, chestnuts, and fresh meat. Also they sold shuck collars for mules, corn shucks – they didn’t waste anything – hoe handles, ax handles, churn dashers, plaited leather whips, longer ones for ox teams, coops for geese, guineas, ducks, chickens, also eggs, butter, lard, and tallow for candles. They sold homemade clothing, sun bonnets, aprons, quilts, knitted articles, socks and shawls.
Wow! Wouldn’t that have been fun....don’t miss our exciting farmers market. It’s now also open Wednesday afternoons 4-6 p.m.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page