City police go
to 98 calls
Holly Springs police officers responded to 98 calls for the week July 2-8, according to interim chief Lt. John Norman.
Calls included – disturbances, 8; alarms, 16; larcenies, 2; accidents, 4; assists to agencies, 3; domestic, 3; assaults, 2; funeral escorts, 2; burglaries, 2; malicious mischief, 5; rape, 1; shots fired, 2; and miscellaneous 48. The dog catcher took five calls.
Officers took the following reports:
Monday, July 2
• malicious mischief in the 100 block of Randall Drive.
• simple assault in the Phillips Street area.
• grand larceny in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
• commercial burglary in the 200 block of North Memphis Street.
Tuesday, July 3
• dispute followed by a threat in the 100 block of Martin Street.
• stolen license plate in the Highway 7 South area.
Wednesday, July 4
• commercial burglary in the 500 block of Highway 178 East.
• petit larceny in the 300 block of South Chesterman Street.
Thursday, July 5
• domestic violence/simple assault in the 500 block of West Woodward. An arrest was made.
• trespassing in the 300 block of Salem Avenue. Three juveniles were arrested after a foot chase.
• petit larceny in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• counterfeit check in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
Friday, July 6
• domestic violence in the College Avenue/Memphis Street area. An arrest was made.
• disturbing the peace in the 100 block of Marbury Drive.
• false pretense in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
• malicious mischief in the 300 block of Cedar Drive.
• attempted suicide in the 400 block of Peyton Road. Subject was transported to Baptist DeSoto.
• domestic violence/simple assault in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue. Charges were filed.
Saturday, July 7
• rape in the 100 block of Clarice Drive. An arrest was made.
• assault in the 200 block of Martin Luther King Drive. Charges were filed.
Sunday, July 8
• malicious mischief in the 300 block of Martin Luther King Drive.
Holly Springs police made two felony arrests during the week.
Melvin Sledge, 21, of the 400 block of Highway 178 East, was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell, Norman said.
James Travis Moore, 37, of the 400 block of Oak Street, New Albany, was arrested and charged with rape, Norman said.
Officers reported the following citations – speeding, 7; disregard for traffic device, 7; no/expired driver's license, 3; no proof of liability insurance, 7; driving while license suspended, 1; no/expired tag, 3; possession of marijuana, 3; possession of drug paraphernalia, 1; open container, 3; public profanity, 1; damaging state property, 1.
Officers reported the following misdemeanor arrests – contempt of court, 4; no/expired driver's license, 1; domestic violence/simple assault/contempt of court, 2; shoplifting, 1; receiving embezzled goods, 1; returned check, 1; public drunk, 1; trespassing/resisting arrest, 3 juveniles arrested; domestic violence/simple assault, 1; possession of drug paraphernalia, 1.
Dog tags are now overdue for renewal. Check with the police department (662-252-2122) for information on registering dogs with the city of Holly Springs.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page