Thursday, May 10, 2012
Calendar of Events
• BAKE SALE Beta Sigma Phi’s Annual Pre-Mother’s Day Bake Sale will be held in front of Century 21, on the square in Holly Springs beginning at 8 a.m. To pre-order a dessert call Tish at 551-0076; or Beth, 544-1816; or any other member. There will be delectable cakes, pies, homemade bread, pimento cheese and Mississippi caviar. All money raised will go to the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in Marshall County.
• REGISTRATION The Holly Springs Primary School will hold early registration for entering kindergarten and returning students for the 2012/2013 school year, 8 a.m.-12 noon. If any questions call 662-252-1768.
• Walk for good health The Ruby Hicks-Bailey Cancer Foundation’s 12th annual “Walk For Good Health,” Sat., May 12, 7:30 a.m. beginning at the Serenity Funeral Home parking lot. Pre-register Thurs., May 10, or Fri., May 11, at Serenity Funeral Home, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. For more info. call Katie Hicks Autry, 662-234-3215, Ruthie Gatewood, 662-252-5618; or Margaret Hicks-McDonald, 662-252-6642.
• Gospel explosion - Mother’s Night Out, presented by Betty Raimey, at Providence MB Church, Holly Springs, 6 p.m., with many guest groups. Admission is free, the public is invited. A free gift will be given to the youngest and oldest mothers present.
• GRADUATION Friendship Christian Academy will have K5 graduation beginning at 5:30 p.m. and senior graduation and commencement at 6:30 p.m.
• FAMILY REUNION will be held at the Benton Co. Agri-Center, 10 a.m. until. Family names include: Allen, Skelton, Byrd, Feathers, Bolden, Wilson, Thompson, Smith, Yager, Yeager, Pannell, McClure, Holmes, Rhea and Watkins. If you are related, you are invited. Bring your favorite dish and old family photos. Please come; we look forward to seeing you there.
• YARD SALE to benefit Speed The Light hosted by AfterShock youth of Friendship Assembly of God will be held at Lexington Crossing subdivision in Olive Branch, 7 a.m.-noon.
• Republican MEETING The Marshall County Republican Club will meet, Sat., 10 a.m. at the Marshall County Library in Holly Springs. The public is invited.
• Singing Calvary Baptist Church, Hwy 5 North, Lamar/Ashland. Featured singers will be the Downs Family from Booneville, Sat., 6:30 p.m. Fellowship meal will follow. Pastor Robert Buse invites everyone to attend.
• Women’s Day St. Paul C.M.E. Church, Holly Springs, will have Women’s Day at 2:30 p.m. This program is sponsored by the Missionary Society. Rev. Doris Alexander and New Hope C.M.E. Church will be the guests. The public is invited. Rev. Tony Wilkins is pastor, Sis. Wanda McNeil is the missionary president. The theme is “Missionary Women on the Move for Christ.” Luke 9:1-6.
• Women’s Day will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 11 a.m. Sister Richardson is the guest speaker. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• CHOIR DAY will be held at Christ Temple Church of God in Christ, 210 W. Park Ave., 3 p.m. The public is invited. The pastor is Elder Albert Pass.
• Singing Friendship Baptist Church, Sun., May 20, beginning at 11 a.m. with a break at noon for lunch. Featuring The Fishers of Men. Bro. Justin Hayes and congregation invite all to attend.
• REUNION Holly Springs High School Class of 1982 is planning their 30th reunion for May 25-27. Please contact committee members Patty (Foster) Robinson, 662-252-2921; Karen (Ratcliff) Morgan, 469-733-7960; Edith (Bridgeforth) Sims, 662-564-4200; Viera Roseburg, 601-316-7369; Claude Vinson, 901-212-9854; Anthony Anderson, 404-259-1258.
• HOMECOMING Kimbrough Chapel will have their annual Homecoming Day at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Pastor Etoy Bogard of Sand Hill and New Faith Church. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. The public is invited.
• ANNUAL MEN AND WOMEN’S Day Program will be held at Shady Grove CME Church, Hwy. 309 South, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Marco Finley and Hebron Chapel will be the guests. Rev. Cornelia Booker, pastor, invites everyone.
• ANNIVERSARY The Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have their annual Church Anniversary at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Apostle Granville Scruggs and the Fireside C.O.G.I.C. of Memphis, Tenn. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• FAMILY AND FRIENDS’ DAY program will be held at New Life Community Church, 28 Chase St., Byhalia, 11 a.m. Everyone is invited.
• FESTIVAL Brookside Baptist Church will have crafters and small business owners with merchandise available for purchase inside. Summer festival going on outside. Both events are from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. There will be a wide variety of vendors, games outside, food and lots of fun for the whole family.
• HOMECOMING Newell Chapel CME Church, Victoria, will celebrate its homecoming at 2:30 p.m. The guest speaker will be Rev. Willie Boyd Jr., pastor of Martin Temple CME Church, Memphis, Tenn. Pastor Charles LeSure invites everyone.
• HOMECOMING will be held at Bethlehem United Methodist Church, 11 a.m., with a barbecue meal afterwards. There will be singing after lunch. All offerings and donations will go to the cemetery upkeep. Everyone is invited.
• CELEBRATION The Relay for Life Planning Committee requests the honor of each and every survivor at the Relay for Life Celebration at the Multi-Purpose Building, 6 p.m. If you know of any survivor that is new or not on our list, drop name and addresses by Carlisle’s Big Star or call Francis Thomas, 252-1133 or 544-5793. They will also be recognized at the Relay for Life June 8 at Sam Coopwood Park.
• SUNDAY SCHOOL NIGHT will be held at Kimbrough Chapel, 6 p.m. Special guests will be Vintage Soul of Memphis, Tenn. The sponsor is Charles Ambrose.
• Singing Calvary Baptist Church, Hwy. 5 North, Lamar/Ashland. Featured singers will be the Still Blessed, Sat., 6:30 p.m. Fellowship meal will follow. Pastor Robert Buse invites everyone to attend.
• USHER DAY will be held at Kimbrough Chapel, 2 p.m. The guest speaker will be Pastor Charles Gillispie and New Mt. Gillian Church.
• VBS “Sky High” Vacation Bible School will be held June 11-15 at Friendship Assembly of God, 6-8 p.m. At Sky VBS kids will discover that by trusting God, everything is possible.
• BYHALIA FESTIVAL sponsored by the Byhalia Lions Club will be held June 14, 15, 16. There will be nightly entertainment, a rodeo, and a carnival. Gates will open at 5 p.m. For more info. call 662-838-2480.
• FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHT is a one-night revival that will be held at Kimbrough Chapel, 7 p.m. The guest speaker will be John Power and Jones Grove Church family. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. The public is invited.
• SUPPER The Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, will hold a fellowship supper in the fellowship hall, 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m. The community is invited to attend. Come meet your neighbors and fellowship with one another and enjoy some good food.
• REUNION The Newsom Family Reunion will be held July 6-8. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of Michael Newsom, Sr., granddaughter of Erma Newsom Wallace and great-granddaughter of the late Arvern/Katie Newsom) at 732-821-2084 or email email@example.com or Facebook: Friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• REUNION The Hardin Family Reunion will be held July 13-15. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of the late Willie Jean Hardin Wells and granddaughter of Georgia/Willie Hardin) at 732-821-2084; or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook: friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page