Thursday, April 5, 2012
Calendar of Events
• MORNING WORSHIP Greenfield Presbyterian Church will have Maundy Thursday Service at 7 a.m. Pastor W. James Lyons invites everyone.
• PTA MEETING will be held at the Holly Springs High School Library at 5:30 p.m. All parents, staff, students, and concerned individuals are encouraged to attend.
• FISH FRY Cayce Fire Department Fish Fry will be held at the fire station, 30 Lee Road, 5-7 p.m. The meal will consist of fish, fries, hushpuppies, slaw, tea and choice of dessert, and the cost is $12 per plate. Tickets can be purchased at A-1 Small Engines, Gene Gossett’s Auto Parts, any firefighter, board member or at the door. For more information call 662-851-7384 or 662-851-7634.
• MUSICAL DRAMA “Redeeming Love” a musical drama will be presented by Barton First Baptist Church in association with Bridgeway Baptist Church, 7 p.m. The church is located at 523 Quinn Road.
• HAMBURGER STEAK MEAL sponsored by the Holly Springs High Football Booster Club in the school cafeteria, 165 North Walthall, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Dine in or carry out.
• SALE Greenfield Presbyterian Church will have a bake sale and rummage sale at Carlisle’s Big Star, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. If rain, sale moves to Lavora’s. Nothing in rummage sale over $10. Some new items. Proceeds will benefit building fund and youth who attend leadership conference.
• Kimbrough Chapel Church will have their Pastor and Wife’s Banquet, 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Blake and Mt. Zion-Taska Church. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. Sponsor is the Pastor-Aid Committee.
• CONCERT Temple of Deliverance Church, 1273 McAlexander Road, will have a concert with Mom & Son, Gloria Williams and Arnold Williams, Calvin Woods and the Anointed 7 from Atlanta, Ga., 7 p.m. Tickets are $7 in advance; $10 at the door, children 12 and under free.
• The Other Carpenter, an Easter drama, will be performed at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship at 7 p.m. and Easter Sunday at 10 a.m. A nursery will be provided both performances. The church is located at 6400 Blocker Street in Olive Branch. Pastor Douglas Bell invites everyone.
• Easter Egg Hunt Attention All Children! Meadowbrook Baptist church will host an Easter egg hunt on Saturday, April 7, 2 p.m. Parents bring your children and their friends. Child should bring a basket. Refreshments will be served.
• RESURRECTION RIDE Leaving Thomas LP Gas parking lot for a 2-3 hour motorcycle ride through the beautiful historic countryside of Marshall County. The goal is a great time of Christian fellowship and to bring awareness that Christ is indeed risen. For more info. call Kevin Thomas, 252-9551; Sonny Stanton, 216-5933; or Champ Smith 544-2994.
• FISH FRY Adolphus Chapel CME Church will have a big fish fry in the Big Star parking lot, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
• BANQUET Jones Grove Church Banquet will be held at Rising Star MB Church at 7 p.m. The church is located on Higdon Road.
• EASTER EGG HUNT Friendship Baptist Church will have a cookout, egg hunt, and scavenger hunt beginning at 12 noon. Bro. Justin Haynes and congregation invites all.
• FREE CLOTHES “Clothes for Kindness” giveaway will be held at Grays Chapel CME Church, 3682 Hudsonville Road, 7 a.m. until noon. Pastor is Rev. Brian Davis Sr.
• EGG HUNT A community Easter Egg Hunt will be held at 12 noon sponsored by the Red Banks Fire Department and New Faith Outreach Ministries, 1296 S. Red Banks Road.
• EASTER EGG HUNT will be held at Greenfield Presbyterian Church, 4 p.m.
• EASTER EGG HUNT Opulent Life Church will host an Easater Egg Hunt at 11 a.m. for ages 3-11 at the city park on the corner of West Boundary Street and West College Avenue.
• EASTER SERVICE will be held at 9 a.m. at Grays Chapel CME Church. Sunday School will be conducted at 8 a.m. Reverend Brian Davis Sr., is the pastor.
• EASTER SERVICE Yarbrough Chapel CME Church will have Easter morning service at 10 a.m. with breakfast from 8:45 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. The church is located at 2997 Old Hwy. 4 West. Pastor Jerry L. Christian Jr. invites everyone.
• Sunrise Services will be held at Holly Hill Baptist Church 6 a.m. Fellowship breakfast following. Pastor Bob Seal and congregation invite everyone to attend.
• EASTER SUNRISE SERVICE will be held at Kimbrough Chapel Church, 6 a.m.
• Book club The next meeting of the Snow Lake Book Club will be Wed., April 11, at 2 p.m. in the Landscape Society Room on the beach at Snow Lake. This month’s selection is ‘Everyday by the Sun’ by the late Dean Faulkner Wells - William Faulkner’s niece. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• 2012 WOMEN’S CONFERENCE will be held at Smith Grove MB Church, April 13-15. Registration begins at 6 p.m. April 13. Speaker will be Minister Rita Dudley-Jones. Registration is April 14 at 8 a.m. Speaker will be Dr. Ethel Young-Minor. There will be a conference fee. Conference will end with worship service at Smith Grove at 2 p.m. with Evangelist Shirley Phillips-Perpener.
• CONCERT Carey Chapel Baptist, 170 Carey Chapel Road, will host a Bluegrass Concert with “Delta Blue” at 6 p.m. Revival will begin April 15-18 with Bro. Jim Butler of Labelle Haven; Jack Childs, minister of music and Rose Marie Basden, pianist. Sunday at 5 p.m. will be “Meet and Greet Speaker” with finger food fellowship.
• Free throw championship St. Joseph’s 8760 of the Knights of Columbus will host the North Half Free Throw Championship at Holy Family gym, April 14, beginning at 11 a.m. Participants will be winners of local contests throughout the northern half of the state. All the champions of the local contests are eligible to participate. Everyone is invited. For more info. call Claude Vinson, 662-252-2567 or Victor Beard, 662-252-2018.
• TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL program will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 2:30 p.m. Guest will be Thomas Lawrence of Hickory Grove Church, Coldwater. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• CONCERT Together for a great night of worship - Todd Agnew and Johnny Diaz will be in concert at The Byhalia United Methodist Church. The concert is free and will be held in The Flame, 2511 Church Street, beginning at 6 p.m. For more info. contact the church at 662-838-2237.
• WOMEN IN HATS and Men in Ties Program will be held at Strawberry MB Church, Hwy. 311, 3 p.m.
• CHOIR DAY Mt. Sinai MB Church, 1855 Mt. Sinai Road, Byhalia, will present Choir Day at 3 p.m. Host pastor is Chris Williams; choir president, Antonio Davis; mistress of ceremony is Betty Raimey. The public is invited.
• “A Healing From Heaven” Program will be held at Pleasant Grove M.B. Church, Red Banks, 2:30 p.m. The guest speaker will be Ronnie Franklin from Hebron M.B. Church. Pastor S.A. Phillips invites all.
• SACRED MUSIC FESTIVAL will be held at Ashland United Methodist Church, 2 p.m. Local artists will be Catherine and Christian Feazell, Charles Lee Bell, Gary Adams from Bridgeway Baptist, and Lt. Frank Busby from Memphis Firefighters. Offerings accepted for St. Jude at the door.
• SPRING REVIVAL will be held at Meadowbrook Baptist Church, 3115 Old Pigeon Roost Road, April 15-18. Sunday morning service begins at 10:30 a.m., evening service at 6 p.m. and Monday-Wednesday, 7 p.m. Special guests will be Sammy Glass and family. For more info. call Liz Medlin 662-895-2608.
• PASTOR & WIFE ANNIVERSARY will be held at Kimbrough Chapel Church, 11 a.m. Rev. Willie Hoey and Pleasant Hill will be the guests. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. and sponsored by Pastor-aid Committee.
• USHER DAY St. Paul CME Church will have their usher ministry program at 11 a.m. Rev. Lacey E. Scott and Baptist Hill Church will be special guests. Pastor Tony Wilkins invites all.
• YOUTH & YOUNG ADULT DAY will be held at Mt. Comfort CME Church, 3 p.m. Rev. Charles Penson is pastor. Speaker will be Minister Anniyah LaFaith Pannell.
• STATE DRIVE Finley Grove MB Church will have their State Drive Program along with morning service at 10 a.m. Everyone is invited. Pastor is James C. Green.
• REVIVAL Rising Star Church on Higdon Road will have spring revival April 18-20, 7 p.m. Guest speaker will be Equator Benton from Believe In Faith Church. Host pastor is Robert McClain.
• Alumni meeting St. Mary’s, Cadet and Holy Family Catholic School alumni will meet at Pearlie Jones’, 12 noon. Bring a drink, sandwiches, a dish of your favorite recipe or buy something. If you can’t bring anything, come anyway, there will be plenty. Just show your face in the house! Directions, 662-252-5364 or 662-216-6898.
• REUNION Descendants of William Vaughn Johnson and Inez Boswell Johnson will have a reunion at Spring Hill Baptist Church activities building on Bethlehem Road in Waterford. Bring your favorite food, drinks provided. Special speaking and music will follow lunch. Bring your lawn chairs. For more info. call Lynn Johnson Russom, 662-252-5846 or 629-0395.
• SUPER SUNDAY will be held at Kimbrough Chapel Church beginning at 9 a.m. Rev. Roney Strong and New Independence Church and others will be guests. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr.
• REVIVAL Finley Grove MB Church will have youth revival April 24-26, 7 p.m. nightly. Pastor Ronnie Franklin will be guest speaker for the week. Everyone is invited. Pastor is James C. Green.
• YOUTH DAY will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church beginning at 9 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• ANNUAL CHOIR DAY will be held at New Faith Outreach Ministries at 2:30 p.m. The community is invited. Pastor is Tony Jeffries.
• REUNION Holly Springs High School Class of 1982 is planning their 30th reunion for May 25-27. Please contact committee members Patty (Foster) Robinson, 662-252-2921; Karen (Ratcliff) Morgan, 469-733-7960; Edith (Bridgeforth) Sims, 662-564-4200; Viera Roseburg, 601-316-7369; Claude Vinson, 901-212-9854; Anthony Anderson, 404-259-1258.
• REUNION The Newsom Family Reunion will be held July 6-8. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of Michael Newsom, Sr., granddaughter of Erma Newsom Wallace and great-granddaughter of the late Arvern/Katie Newsom) at 732-821-2084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook: Friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• REUNION The Hardin Family Reunion will be held July 13-15. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of the late Willie Jean Hardin Wells and granddaughter of Georgia/Willie Hardin) at 732-821-2084; or email email@example.com or Facebook: friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page