Thursday, March 22, 2012
Calendar of Events
• MEETING Let’s go back to the old time way at Mt. Pisgah. Old Camp Meeting, March 21-23. Service nightly at 7 p.m.. Evangelist will be Pastor Johnnie Porter of Rose Hill C.M.E. Church in Columbia. Mt. Pisgah is located at 3877 Cayce Rd. Elder Eddie Wilson is the pastor.
• REVIVAL Holly Hill Baptist Church will have a revival March 21-25, 7 p.m. nightly. Sunday morning services begin at 10 a.m. and Sunday night at 5:30 p.m.
•SPRING REVIVAL Mt. Pisgah CME Church will have spring revival March 21-23, 7:30 nightly. Everyone is invited. Eddie Joe Wilson, pastor.
• GROWERS’ MEETING - The Holly Springs Farmers Market will have their first growers meeting at the Beckley Center, 7 p.m. The center is located on Rust Avenue across from Rust College.
• Kimbrough Chapel Church will have a one-night revival, 7 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Melvin Bufford and Mt. Salem MB Church, Hickory Valley, Tenn. Sponsor is Betty Raimey.
• AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY Relay for Life Team Captain Meeting, 5:15 p.m., at the county library. The Planning Committee meets at 6:15. If you want to be involved with Relay for Life, please meet with us. For more information contact Linda Wilson at 252-4706, 601-731-4934 or Connie Mason at 252-4835
• Men’s Wild Game Dinner provided by Honor Bound Men’s Ministry of Friendship Assembly of God, 7 p.m. Tickets on sale now for $10 per adult, $5 per child. For more info. call 662-838-4000.
• SINGING Calvary Baptist Church, Lamar, will have a gospel singing with the Barnett Family from Stanton, Tenn., 6:30 p.m. Fellowship meal will follow singing.
• Girl power/girl hour will be held 11 a.m., at Pleasant Hill CME Church. All girls ages 13 and up are encouraged to attend. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor.
• SINGING Evangel Full Gospel Assembly of Holly Springs is having a special singing beginning at 7 p.m. The Peppers Trio will be guest singers.
• Trail ride, Sat., Mar. 24, Hwy 311, LeSueur’s Farm. Lunch at noon, 1 p.m. trail ride. Bring your lawn chair, relax and enjoy. Donation is requested. Children under 12 free. Benefit for the Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum. Sponsored by the Holly Springs Cowboys. For more info. call 662-252-3232, 901-515-7042, 901-598-7981.
• Kimbrough Chapel Church will host Men & Women’s Day, 11 a.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. James Green and Finley Grove. Sponsor is James Ambrose and Rosanna Smith.
• Mt. Sinai C.O.G.I.C. of Mt. Pleasant will have their Annual Men’s Day program at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Eugene Anderson and the Brooks Chapel C.O.G.I.C. of Oakland, Tenn. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• GOSPEL SINGING Mt. Zion-Taska Missionary Baptist Church will have a gospel singing with doors opening at 5 p.m. Lee Williams and The Spiritual QCs will be singing at 6 p.m. The program is presented by Margui Garmon, 901-279-5738.
• PASTOR’S ANNIVERSARY Reid’s Gift M.B. Church will have their Pastor’s Anniversary for Jerry L. Williams, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Palestine M.B. Church and Patrick Washington.
• PRAYER SERVICE The Beverly Chapel C.M.E. Church, pastored by Kenneth Rogers, is having a Community Prayer Service Program at 3:30 p.m. Rev. Kenneth Jones and Mt. Zion C.M.E. Church of Ashland are guests. Contact Patricia Pegues at 662-252-4593 or 901-573-0065 for more info.
• Women’s Day 100 Women in White, Sun., Mar. 25, 3 p.m. at Christ Temple COGIC, 210 West Park Ave., Holly Springs. Guest speaker, Sister Shelia J. Bryant of Hope of Glory Deliverance Ministry COGIC in Memphis, Tenn. Host pastor, Supt. Albert G. Pass. Public is cordially invited.
• TOWN HALL MEETING Dist. 1 Supervisor Charles Terry will have a town hall meeting, Thurs., March 29, 6:30 p.m. at the David L. Beckley Conference Center, across from Rust College. All concerned citizens are invited.
• FRIENDSHIP CHRISTIAN ACADEMY Chapel, 8:30 a.m. Parents are welcome.
• SINGING Fellowship Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 N., Byhalia, will have a gospel singing with Karen Peck and New River from Dahlonega, Ga., 7 p.m. Wade Crum is host pastor.
• BENEFIT PROGRAM for Elvis Scott will be held at Calvin Chapel Church, 6 p.m. Groups, choirs and male choruses are invited. Sponsor is Calvin Spight and Betty Raimey.
• EASTER EGG HUNT The First Southern Baptist Church at Victoria, will have their annual Easter Egg Hunt at 4:30 p.m. All children 12 and under are invited.
• YARD SALE A benefit yard sale to raise funds for Clear Creek Baptist Church Vacation Bible School will be held in the Big Star parking lot. Cancel if rain.
• BENEFIT SINGING Award-winning singer, songwriter and evangelist Gerald Crabb, along with the Williams family, will be performing at Byhalia High school gym to benefit the Sabrina Hall family. Preacher Melvin Shackelford from the Victory Church will be the MC, March 31 at 6 p.m. Tickets are on sale now for $10. Contact Mae Garrison at 901-239-3318 or Sandy Shackelford at 901-326-0081. You can also get tickets at the door. Concessions will be sold. Please come out and enjoy the show and help out this family.
• LOVE DAY Pastor Willie James and first lady Cassie Taylor’s Love Day will be held at Mt. Olive M.B. Church, Byhalia, 2 p.m. The guest church will be Pastor Charles Gillespie and the New Mt. Gilliam Church family. Everyone’s invited.
• BOOK LAUNCH Marie Moore will release her new novel, “Shore Excursion” 2-4 p.m. at Montrose, 335 Salem Ave., Holly Springs. Books will be available for purchase.
• HOMECOMING Chewalla Baptist Church will have homecoming beginning at 11 a.m. with fellowship meal at 12 noon and singing with the Master’s Quartet at 1 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• MEMBERS MEETING Marshall County Water Association will hold their annual Members Meeting on April 2, 6:30 p.m. at 512 Wingo Road off Cayce Road.
• LENT SERVICES will be held at Grays Chapel CME Church April 2-4 at 7 p.m. nightly. The speaker scheduled for Monday night is Rev. Michael Gordon and scheduled for Tuesday night is Rev. Deldrick Lesure. The pastor of Grays Chapel, Rev. Brian Davis Sr., will be speaking on Wednesday night.
• REVIVAL Chewalla Baptist Church will be in revival April 2-4, 7 p.m. nightly with Bro. Robert Buse as the guest speaker.
• FISH FRY Cayce Fire Department Fish Fry will be held at the fire station, 30 Lee Road, 5-7 p.m. The meal will consist of fish, fries, hushpuppies, slaw, tea and choice of dessert, and the cost is $12 per plate. Tickets can be purchased at A-1 Small Engines, Gene Gossett’s Auto Parts, any firefighter, board member or at the door. For more information call 662-851-7384 or 662-851-7634.
• MUSICAL DRAMA “Redeeming Love” a musical drama will be presented by Barton First Baptist Church in association with Bridgeway Baptist Church, 7 p.m. The church is located at 523 Quinn Road.
• Kimbrough Chapel Church will have their Pastor and Wife’s Banquet, 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Blake and Mt. Zion-Taska Church. Host pastor is J.W. Smith Jr. Sponsor is the Pastor-Aid Committee.
• CONCERT Temple of Deliverance Church, 1273 McAlexander Road, will have a concert with Mom & Son, Gloria Williams and Arnold Williams, Calvin Woods and the Anointed 7 from Atlanta, Ga., 7 p.m. Tickets are $7 in advance; $10 at the door, children 12 and under free.
• The Other Carpenter, an Easter drama, performed at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship Saturday, April 7, at 7 p.m. and Easter Sunday at 10 a.m. A nursery will be provided both performances. The church is located at 6400 Blocker Street in Olive Branch. Pastor Douglas Bell invites you to experience this play, as seen through the eyes of the man who built the cross.
• EASTER SERVICE will be held at 9 a.m. at Grays Chapel CME Church. Sunday School will be conducted at 8 a.m. Reverend Brian Davis Sr., is the pastor.
• TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL program will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 2:30 p.m. Guest will be Thomas Lawrence of Hickory Grove Church, Coldwater. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• Alumni meeting St. Mary’s, Cadet and Holy Family Catholic School alumni will meet at Pearlie Jones’ on April 20, 12 noon. Bring a drink, sandwiches, a dish of your favorite recipe or buy something. If you can’t bring anything, come anyway, there will be plenty. Just show your face in the house! Directions, 662-252-5364 or 662-216-6898.
• REUNION Descendants of William Vaughn Johnson and Inez Boswell Johnson will have a reunion at Spring Hill Baptist Church activities building on Bethlehem Road in Waterford. Bring your favorite food, drinks provided. Special speaking and music will follow lunch. Bring your lawn chairs. For more info. call Lynn Johnson Russom, 662-252-5846 or 629-0395.
• YOUTH DAY will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church beginning at 9 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• REUNION Holly Springs High School Class of 1982 is planning their 30th reunion for May 25-27. Please contact committee members Patty (Foster) Robinson, 662-252-2921; Karen (Ratcliff) Morgan, 469-733-7960; Edith (Bridgeforth) Sims, 662-564-4200; Viera Roseburg, 601-316-7369; Claude Vinson, 901-212-9854; Anthony Anderson, 404-259-1258.
• REUNION The Newsom Family Reunion will be held July 6-8. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of Michael Newsom, Sr., granddaughter of Erma Newsom Wallace and great-granddaughter of the late Arvern/Katie Newsom) at 732-821-2084 or email email@example.com or Facebook: Friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• REUNION The Hardin Family Reunion will be held July 13-15. For more info. call Angela Newsom-Hoye (daughter of the late Willie Jean Hardin Wells and granddaughter of Georgia/Willie Hardin) at 732-821-2084; or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook: friend request my name just as it is spelled.
• WORSHIP Byhalia Church of God and Pastor Billy and Judy Smith welcomes you to come and worship with us Sunday 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday 7 p.m. The church is located at 2550 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church located on Hwy 309 South invites everyone to join them in worship through songs at the singings each second Saturday of the month.
• HOPEWELL NO. 2 Church Services are Sunday School ever 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday at 9:30 a.m.; 4th Sunday at 8 a.m.; morning worship every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at 11 a.m.; 4th at 9 a.m.; and Bible class every Monday night at 7 p.m.
• GED Do you need your GED to get a job or go to college? Classes are offered at Catholic Social Services on Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Let us help you get that job or go to college. We are located behind St. Joseph Catholic Church. Call 252-1336 for more information.
• ATTENTION NEW LOCATION! 3-D Ladies’ Christian Based Diet Class meets every Tuesday, 5:30-7 p.m. at 525 Old Hwy. 78, next door to Latter Rain Church in Holly Springs. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (662) 252-3388
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page