Thursday, August 18, 2011
Police investigate accident on Craft
By SUE WATSON
An accident on Craft Street that killed Lewis “Wine” Nunnally Jr. is under investigation by Holly Springs police officers, according to interim chief John Norman.
He said the call to 911 came in around 9:36 p.m. Wednesday, August 10. The call was placed by the driver of the vehicle that struck Nunnally as he was apparently attempting to cross the street.
“It appears that Wine was on his way home,” Norman said. “We found he had left town and some firefighters had seen him on his way home.”
Morgan Mason, 23, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., was driving through town in a bob truck on his way back to Alabama. He used the truck in the moving business. Mason thought he saw something in the street, Norman said.
“He apparently realized it was a person and tried to swerve to miss him,” he said.
Mason, who had a passenger with him in the truck, drove to the old South Side Grocery to park and then walked back to the scene and called 911, Norman said.
“It was not a hit and run,” said Norman. “It appears Wine was in the street and it appears he started walking across the street and then fell into the street and was struck.”
Results of an autopsy have not yet been made available to investigators, Norman said.
Holly Springs police officers responded to 82 calls last week, according to Norman. They included the following calls – disturbances, 4; alarms, 15; domestics, 3; larcenies, 2; accidents, 2; funerals, 4; auto burglary, 1; burglaries, 3; emergency, fire, corrections (MDOC) and sheriff's office assists, 4; 911 hang-up calls, 3; and 41 miscellaneous calls. The dog catcher took five calls.
Officers took or investigated the following reports:
Tuesday, Aug. 9
• aggravated assault and conspiracy to commit a crime in the 800 block of West Street.
• domestic violence/simple assault in the 200 block of Elder Street. Two arrests were made.
Wednesday, Aug. 10
• subject attempting to do bodily harm to self in the 200 block of West Valley Avenue.
• animal cruelty by shooting of a horse inside the fence that had been rescued by Humane Society in the 100 block of West Eddie Lee Smith Drive.
• commercial burglary in 600 block of Martin Luther King Drive.
• domestic violence/simple assault in the 200 block of West Valley Avenue.
• vehicular fatality in the 100 block of Craft Street.
Thursday, Aug. 1
• malicious mischief in the 100 block of Van Dorn Avenue.
• burglary and malicious mischief in the 200 block of West Elder Street.
Friday, Aug. 2
• attempted burglary of a commercial property in the 100 block of North Memphis Street.
• a commercial burglary in the 100 block of Martin Street.
• grand larceny in 300 block of West Street.
Sunday, Aug. 14
• simple assault with injuries in the 200 block of Clara Avenue.
• simple assault in the Cuba Street area.
Officers reported these additional misdemeanor arrests and citations – no/expired tag, 1; no proof of liability insurance, 2; no driver’s license, 1 arrest; driving while license suspended, 1 arrest; contempt, 1 arrest; possession of marijuana, 1 arrest; domestic violence/simple assault, 2 arrests; disturbing the peace, 3 arrests; disturbing the peace/exhibiting a weapon, 1 arrest; and DUI refusal, 1 arrest.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter
P.O. Box 278
Holly Springs, MS 38635
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page