Thursday, June 9, 2011
Man faces charges in hit and run
By SUE WATSON
Officers with the Holly Springs Police Department made three felony arrests last week.
Andrew Tudor, 25, of the 300 block of Byhalia Creek Farms Road, was charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident with a fatality and manslaughter, police chief Robert Pearson said.
The accident occurred in the street in front of Fred’s at about 9:24 p.m. Saturday, June 4. Pearson said John Thomas, 49, was struck in the street as he apparently was crossing it. Tudor left the scene but a citizen followed the pickup he was driving and got a description of the vehicle and tag number, according to the chief.
The tag number was traced to the pickup owner in DeSoto County, the father-in-law, who is believed not to have known or given permission for the pickup to have been taken, Pearson said.
The pickup was abandoned in Yalobusha County, and the suspect was picked up, walking along Highway 51, by the Panola County Sheriff’s Department officers, he said.
Pearson thanked citizens who took action to get a description of the vehicle and tag number that helped locate the pickup and the suspect.
“It is great to have that type of assistance from the citizens,” Pearson said.
Also last week, Sammy Jones, 27, of the 200 block of North Bonner Street, was arrested and charged with domestic violence, third offense, Pearson said.
Contessa Mayfield, 27, of the 7000 block of Okolona Terrace, Okolona, was arrested and charged with possession of contraband in a correctional facility, he said.
Police answered 133 calls for the week. They included – 911 hang-ups, 1; accidents, 4; alarms, 19; county and medical assists, 4; auto burglaries, 1; burglaries, 4; disturbances, 14; domestics, 8; funerals, 3; larcenies, 8; malicious mischief, 2; checking on homebound, 2; and miscellaneous, 63.
Officers received the following reports:
Saturday, May 28
• auto burglary in the 700 block of Salem Avenue.
Monday, May 30
• breaking and entering in the 800 block of West Street.
Wednesday, June 1
• petit larceny in the 100 block of North Walthall Street.
• medical assistance in the 800 block of West Street.
• domestic violence in the 100 block of West Park Avenue. An arrest was made.
Thursday, June 2
• petit larceny in the 500 block of Van Dorn Avenue.
• simple assault in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue.
Friday, June 3
• burglary in the 400 block of Mallory Street.
• malicious mischief in the 200 block of East Valley Avenue.
• simple assault in the 200 block of West Valley Avenue.
Saturday, June 4
• identity theft in the 200 block of West Valley Avenue.
• leaving the scene of an accident with a fatality in the 100 block of West Van Dorn. Suspect was apprehended in Panola County.
Sunday, June 5
• possession of contraband in a correctional facility in the 800 block of West Street. An arrest was made.
• disturbance in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
Weekly citations and arrests included – disregard for traffic device, 1; no tag light, 1; child restraint violation, 2; seatbelt violation, 1; no/expired tag, 3; no proof of liability insurance, 4; other violations, 3; no/expired driver’s license, 1; driving while license suspended, 2; DWLS/DUI, 1; contempt of court, 4; public drunk, 1; possession of paraphernalia/resisting arrest, 1; simple assault, 1; domestic violence/simple assault, 1; and petit larceny, 2.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page