Thursday, May 19, 2011
Murder suspect returned to city
By SUE WATSON
A man wanted in connection with the shooting death of Melvin Louis Greer has been extradited back to Holly Springs from Texas, according to police chief Robert Pearson.
Jeremy McGauyhey, 33, of the 1600 block of Roberts Chapel Road, Lamar, was returned after being picked up by U.S. Marshals the first week of May. He is charged with murder, aggravated assault and possession of a weapon by a felon, Pearson said.
Greer, 39, of Holly Springs, was shot and killed about 2:50 a.m. April 25 in the parking lot of the Bearcat Sports Bar on Highway 178 West (Martin Luther King Drive) in Holly Springs.
A second victim received a gunshot wound to the back and was transported to the hospital afterwards.
In a separate incident, two juveniles, ages 16 and 17, were also arrested and charged with possession of a vehicle they carjacked in their hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana, Chief Pearson said.
Also arrested last week was Matt Chandler, 20, of the 100 block of Wolf Street, Hickory Flat. He was charged with felony malicious mischief, the chief said.
One person was charged with felony DUI. Corey Luellen, 29, of the 200 block of West Woodward, was arrested and charged with felony DUI 3rd offense, driving while license suspended and with grand larceny, Pearson said.
Police responded to 77 calls last week. Those included disturbances, 4; armed subject, 1; assaults, 8; alarm calls, 12; accidents, 4; burglaries, 3; larceny, 2; medical and sheriff’s office assists, 3; domestic, 2; check on shut-ins, 1; 911 hang-ups, 3; malicious mischief, 3; funerals, 2; and miscellaneous, 29.
Officers took the following reports:
Monday, May 9
• suspicious vehicle in the Oakwood Cove area. Two juveniles were arrested.
• false pretense in the 900 block of Mackie Drive.
• petit larceny in the 200 block of Martin Luther King Drive.
• gambling in the 200 block of Martin Luther King Drive. Two arrests (one a juvenile) were made.
• missing juvenile in the 400 block of Coopwood Drive.
Tuesday, May 10
• false pretense in the 900 block of Mackie Drive. A summons was issued.
• domestic dispute in the 300 block of Cuba Street.
• missing juvenile in the 400 block of West College Avenue. The juvenile was located later that day.
• burglary in the 100 block of Feathers Drive.
Wednesday, May 11
• malicious mischief in the area of the square on College Avenue.
Friday, May 13
• simple assault in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• false pretense in the 300 block of West Street.
• assault in the 100 block of North Walthall Street. A juvenile was arrested and released to parent.
• domestic violence in the 200 block of West Valley Street.
Saturday, May 14
• malicious mischief in the area of Van Dorn Avenue.
• trespassing in the 800 block of West Street.
• domestic violence in the 100 block of Rust Avenue.
Sunday, May 15
• felony malicious mischief in the 400 block of Highway 178 East. An arrest was made.
• stalking in the 800 block of West Street.
• harassment in the 600 block of Highway 7 South.
• trespassing in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue. An arrest was made.
Officers reported these additional activities which include misdemeanor arrests and citations – speeding, 1; loud music, 1; child restraint violation, 2; no proof of liability insurance, 5; reckless driving, 1; other violations, 1. Driving while license suspended, 2 arrests; gambling, 2 arrests; no/expired driver’s license, 1 arrest; contempt, 2 arrests; simple assault, 3 arrests; possession of marijuana in a vehicle, 2 arrests; and trespassing, 2 arrests.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page