Thursday, May 5, 2011
Calendar of Events
• Killer Kudzu Run will be held on the east side of square in Holly Springs at 7 p.m. 5K run will be $15 and one mile run-walk will be $10 in advance; day of race, run will be $18. For more information call 252-1862 or log on to www.americanpac.com to register on line.
• MOVIE NIGHT Victory Church, 103 Lowry Drive, Byhalia Industrial Park, will have movie night, 7 p.m., “Home Beyond The Sun.” Food and drinks will be served. Free for everyone. For more info. contact Jim Ferguson, 901-487-8758.
• BAKE SALE The Beta Sigma Phi Sorority will have a bake sale beginning at 8 a.m. at Century 21, on the square in Holly Springs. All proceeds benefit American Cancer Society Relay for Life.
• Flea market Brookside Baptist Church, 4993 Hwy. 302 (Goodman Rd.) will host a community-wide flea market, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Spaces will cost $10. Call 662-404-1899 for more info.
• MEADOWBROOK BAPTIST CHURCH, 3115 Old Pigeon Roost Road, Byhalia, 662-838-6337 will have a benefit for Meadowbrook Mission Team’s trip to Honduras. There will be fish fry and cake auction. Entertainment will be provided by the Geeslin Brothers.
• Benefit singing Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, located half a mile south of Goodman on Cayce Rd., will have a gospel singing at 7 p.m. featuring local singers. All proceeds will benefit gospel group, The Williams Family, who recently lost their home in the storms. Pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• BENEFIT A benefit program for Kajural Burns will be held at Anderson Chapel CME Church, 730 Martin Luther King Drive, 6 p.m. There will be praise teams, male choruses and praise dancers. For more information call 662-544-7212 or 252-1938.
• Mother’s Night Kimbrough Chapel Church, 6 p.m.
• 25th Memorial ceremony 9 a.m. on the Marshall County Courthouse lawn, celebrating the life and legacy of the late Sheriff Osborne Bell.
• Benefit program for Idell Sykes Rucker will be held at Reid’s Gift MB Church, 7 p.m. Pastor, Jerry L. Williams.
• Annual Graveside memorial services for Mama Lessye Lee Davis will be held at 8:30 a.m. A motorcade from the Holly Springs square to Hill Crest Cemetery will leave at 8:15 a.m. Meditation will be give by Min. Doris Williams.
• SINGING A singing will be held at Chewalla Baptist Church with Southern Image as special guests. The fellowship meal will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m.
• FRAPPE SIP and African Art Exhibit in memory of Dr. David Stratmon will be held at the Ida B. Wells Barnett Museum, 220 N. Randolph St., 3 p.m. For additional information contact Mary Milan, 662-252-2796; or Leona Harris, 662-252-3232. Donations will be appreciated.
• TRAIL RIDE North West Side Civic Club’s fourth annual fund-raiser trail ride will be at Fitch Farms Galena Plantation, beginning at 1 p.m. Barbecue will be served at 5 p.m. All donations accepted. For more information call Billy or Dee Jones, 662-526-0495.
• 5K Run/Walk The first annual Byhalia 5K Run/Walk for the American Cancer Society will be held Saturday, May 7, at 9 a.m. Contact the Town Hall at 662-838-215 for details and an entry form; $20 entry donation. Groups of 10 or more, $10 entry donation.
• MOTHER’S DAY GOSPEL EXPLOSION will be held at Jones Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 6 p.m. M.C. will be James Chambers of 1240 AM WAVN. Sponsors are Betty Raimey and Pastor John Powell. Several groups will perform.
• MOTHER’S DAY CELEBRATION will be held at Community Temple off Mt. Zion Road during the morning service. The men are in charge. Host pastor is Frank Moore. For more information call 662-851-3388.
• BLOOD DRIVE The Mississippi Blood Services mobile unit will be at Red Banks Baptist Church, 1-8 p.m.. For more info. or an appointment call Verna McAlexander, 662-252-2048.
• CONCERT The Majestic Sounds of Spring 2011 featuring the Byhalia High School Band with special guests Galena Middle School Concert Band and Choir will be held in the Byhalia High School gym, 6 p.m. Admission is $5. Proceeds from concert to assist students attending summer music camps.
• WORSHIP AND PRAISE night will be held at Fellowship Baptist Church featuring The McKameys from Clinton, Tenn., 7 p.m. The church is located on Hwy. 309 North. For more info. or directions call Bruce Shaw, 662-838-2773 or Bubba Feathers, 901-497-8337. Wade Crum is pastor. Everyone is invited.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 South, will have a singing with the Master’s Quartet from Booneville. Fellowship will be at 5 p.m. and singing at 6:15 p.m.
• Women’s conference First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, beginning at 9 a.m. Guest speaker will be Brenda Weeks with guest singer Cheryl Fleming.
• Political speaking Bethel United Methodist Church youth (Benton County) will be hosting a political speaking on Sat., May 14 starting at 10 a.m. All state and county candidates are invited to attend. We will be selling hamburgers and hot dogs. Bethel UMC is located approximately three miles off Hwy. 5 between Ashland and Hickory Flat.
• Community wide clean-up, Watson Cemetery, Watson Rd., Byhalia, Sat., May 14, 8 a.m. Please bring weed-eaters, lawn mowers, axes and any other lawn equipment used to cut down small trees and bushes.
• ANNUAL HOMECOMING will be held at Liberty Hill MB Church, 11 a.m. Guests will be Rev. Joe Richmond and Union Valley MB Church. Rev. Calvin Rayborn is pastor.
• WOMEN’S DAY Free Branch M.B. Church will have their annual women’s day program at 11 a.m. Pastor is J.L. Tunstall. Everyone is invited.
•GROUND BREAKING CEREMONY First Baptist Church of Mt. Pleasant will celebrate the ground breaking of their new gymnasium and education building immediately following church services. Lunch will be served after the ceremony. Everyone is invited.
• Benefit singing Marianna Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 South, will have a benefit singing, 2 p.m., featuring different groups including The Potter’s Clay. Everyone is invited.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
• FAMILY REUNION will be held at the Benton Co. Agri-Center, 10 a.m. until. Family names include: Allen, Skelton, Byrd, Feathers, Bolden, Wilson, Thompson, Smith, Yager, Yeager, Pannell, McClure, Holmes, Watkins and Rhea. If you are related, you are invited. Bring your favorite dish and old family photos. Please come; we look forward to seeing you there.
• ANNUAL TWELVE TRIBES of Israel Program will be held at 2 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Willie Hoey from Pleasant Hill CME Church. True Vine MB CHurch is located at 525 West Street and the pastor is Rev. Darrell E. Cunningham.
• singing--Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, located half a mile south of Goodman on Cayce Rd. will have a gospel singing at 7 p.m. featuring Mildred Keys and the Keynotes. Pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• Annual Men and Women’s Day program will be held at Shady Grove CME Church, Hwy. 309, 2:30 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Nancy Tolliver and guest church Roberts Chapel CME Church. Cornelia Booker, pastor, invites everyone.
• HOMECOMING Marianna Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 South, will celebrate their homecoming with Pickin Up the Pieces as guests. Revival will begin June 6-10 with a special preacher.
• SUMMER CAMP 2011 The City of Holly Springs Parks and Recreation will have summer camp June 7-July 7, 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m. for youth ages 7-14. All activities will be held at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-purpose center. Registration fee is $50.
• SINGING Marianna Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 South, will have a singing featuring the Williams Family. Fellowship will be at 5 p.m. and singing at 6 p.m.
• Political rally, Chulahoma Lodge, July 9, 2 p.m. Hwy 4 West, Chulahoma community. For more info. call Robert Pool Sr. at 662-564-2480.
• Political rally, sponsored by the Pilot Club of Holly Springs, on the square in Holly Springs, 5 p.m. until. All state and local candidates are welcome. Hamburgers, hot dogs, water, soft drinks and desserts for sale. Come join us.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group meets Monday nights at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship in Olive Branch and Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, monthly singing, the second Saturday of each month; 5 p.m. fellowship, 6:15 singing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• Men’s Bible study All men are invited to Bible Study each Monday night at Fellowship Baptist Church, located three miles north of Byhalia on Byhalia Road. For more information call Wade Crum, pastor, 901-825-7166.
• The Dulcimers meet at the Marshall County Library 1 p.m. each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page