Thursday, April 28, 2011
Police seek murder suspect
By SUE WATSON
Police are looking for Jeremy McGauyhey, 33, in connection with the murder of a Holly Springs man and possible shooting of a second man, according to chief Robert Pearson.
An arrest warrant has been issued for McGauyhey, he said, on an open charge of murder.
The shooting, a second one in less than two weeks in the city, took place Monday, April 25, at approximately 2:50 a.m. in the parking lot of the Bearcat Sports Bar and Holly Inn Motel at 360 Highway 178 West (Martin Luther King Drive), Pearson said.
Coroner James Richard Anderson said Melvin Louis Greer, 39, of Holly Springs, died of multiple gunshot wounds. He pronounced the victim dead on the scene at 3:35 a.m.
A second victim, Jeremy Boyd, received a gunshot wound to the back and was carried to Alliance HealthCare in a private vehicle before officers arrived, Pearson said. Boyd was later transported to The Med in Memphis, Tenn.
Pearson thanked the public for assistance as the investigation into these two shootings continue.
“We urge anyone who knows the whereabouts of McGauyhey to contact the Holly Springs Police Department,” Pearson said.
Persons who have information regarding this crime or any other crimes are asked to contact the police department at 662-252-2122 or Crime Stoppers of North West Mississippi at 1-800-729-2169.
Other police matters
Holly Springs police took 84 calls last week. They included – disturbances, 10; assaults, 2; alarms, 5; accidents, 1; larcenies, 3; burglaries, 2; medical and sheriff department assists, 3; shots fired, 3; domestic, 1; funerals, 1; missing person, 1; 911 hang-ups, 3; malicious mischief, 2; auto theft, 1; and miscellaneous, 46.
Officers took the following reports:
Monday, April 18
• false pretense in the 900 block of Mackie Drive.
• breaking and entering in the 300 block of Cuba Street.
• petit larceny in the 300 block of East Falconer Street.
• attempted burglary in the 500 block of Swaney Drive.
Tuesday, April 19
• suspicious subject around buildings in the 100 block of Craft Street.
• simple assault in the 300 block of Martin Luther King Drive.
Wednesday, April 20
• malicious mischief in the 100 block of Rust Avenue.
• simple assault by threat in the 300 block of East Falconer Street.
• aggravated assault in the 200 block of Bonner Street.
• malicious mischief in the 500 block of Craft Street.
Thursday, April 21
• grand larceny in the 800 block of Highway 178 East.
• burglary in the 800 block of Highway 178 East.
• sighting of a suspected stolen vehicle in the 200 block of Chesterman Street.
• aggravated assault in the 100 block of Rust Avenue.
Friday, April 22
• suicidal subject in 400 block of Peyton Road. Subject transported to Baptist-DeSoto for evaluation.
• simple assault by threat in the 400 block of Peyton Road.
• grand larceny in 300 block of West Park Street.
Saturday, April 23
• stalking in 400 block of Craft Street.
• aggravated assault and arrest in the 200 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• identity theft in the 100 block of East Boundary Street.
• lost wallet in the 200 block of West Woodward Avenue.
Sunday, April 24
• discharge of firearm in the 500 Robindale Lane area.
• domestic violence/simple assault with arrest in the 100 block of West Woodward Avenue.
• stolen property sighted in North Spring Street area. A juvenile was arrested and later released to mother.
• malicious mischief in the 200 block of North Memphis Street.
Police arrested Eddie Lee Campbell, 40, of 185 West Woodward, according to Chief Pearson. Campbell was charged with aggravated assault.
Officers recovered the following property – a Chevy Lumina driver’s education vehicle taken from Hickory Flat School in Benton County and a 2008 Yamaha Raptor four-wheeler stolen in Marshall County.
Officers reported the following arrests/citations – disregard for traffic device, 1; no proof of liability insurance, 16; loud music, 1; no/expired tag, 3; seatbelt violation, 4; child restraint, 1; other violations, 4; driving while license suspended, 4 arrests; domestic violence/simple assault, 1 arrest; simple assault, 1 arrest; contempt, 3 arrests; trespassing/petit larceny, 1 arrest; and disorderly conduct, 1 arrest.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page