Thursday, April 28, 2011
MA Patriots win North State
By BARRY BURLESON
For the first time since the mid-1990s, the Marshall Academy boys are North State track champions.
The Patriots, battling the wind and rain, took the top prize April 20 at Washington School in Greenville. They totaled 55 points and finished ahead of Manchester (49) and Canton (43). Eleven schools participated.
As soon as they received their blue trophy in Class AA at about 8:15 p.m., they made a cell phone call to coach Keith Wicker and shouted together – “North State Champs!”
“Since learning that their track coach, Keith Wicker, had been diagnosed with cancer, the team has been more determined than ever to do their best,” said coach Susan Rodgers.
“The boys really showed a lot of heart out there on the track. ‘Win it for Wicker’ has become our team motto since learning of Coach Wicker’s illness.”
The team delivered the championship trophy to Coach Wicker at his home in Oxford Thursday.
The MA boys track team won North State in 1993 and 1996, according to reports those years in The South Reporter.
Results from last week’s North State meet follow. The top four in each event advance to the Class AA State Meet this weekend at Jackson Prep.
• 100 meter dash – first, Hank Owens, 11.52; second, Elgin Lafever, 11.65.
• 200 meter dash – second, Elgin Lafever, 23.70; fifth, Joey Brock, 24.62.
• 800 meter run – third, Neil Murphy, 2:18.63.
• 1600 meter run – third, Andy Burleson, 5:19.35.
• 3200 meter run – fourth, Andy Burleson, 12:10.62.
• 110 meter hurdles – fourth, Andy Burleson, 18.70.
• 400 meter relay – first, Jake Delashmit, Joey Brock, Hank Owens, Elgin Lafever, 45.34.
• 800 meter relay – first, Jake Delashmit, Joey Brock, Hank Owens, Elgin Lafever, 1:36.42.
• Long jump – first, Kevin Fitzpatrick, 20-07; fourth, Joey Brock, 19-11.50.
• Triple jump – first, Kevin Fitzpatrick, 41-06; second, Jordan Brock, 39-05.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page