Thursday, April 21, 2011
Police probe murder
By SUE WATSON
A man was murdered on a downtown street early Thursday morning.
Anthony Darrell Phillips, 39, of Chicago, Ill., was shot in the face, according to Holly Springs Police Chief Robert Pearson.
The homicide comes on the heels of the armed robberies of some restaurants and a service station in recent weeks.
Phillips, who had just been released from the custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections, was shot sometime before 3:44 a.m. April 14, Pearson said. The victim’s body was lying in the street behind a furniture delivery truck parked between the courthouse and the county administrator’s office, he said. Phillips was lying in a pool of blood, he said.
Pearson said he was the first on the scene and had been patrolling the downtown area and alley just a few hours before the call came in.
“I checked his vitals and he had none,” Pearson said.
Coroner James Richard Anderson said Phillips’ body was sent to Jackson for an autopsy early Thursday.
The homicide is still under investigation.
“We have a person of interest we are talking to,” Pearson said Tuesday of this week.
Officers responded to 104 calls last week – nine disturbances; three assaults, 14 alarms; eight accidents, one larceny; three burglaries; two robberies; one medical assist; two shots fired; three domestic; three funerals; three welfare check; one 911 hang-up; 49 miscellaneous; and one murder.
Officers took the following reports:
Monday, April 11
• domestic simple assault and petit larceny in the 600 block of West Lake Drive. Charges were filed for domestic simple assault.
• domestic simple assault in the 70 block of Sunset Acres Road.
Tuesday, April 12
• armed robbery in the 1200 block of Highway 7 North.
• disturbing the peace in the 100 block of North Walthall Street. Juvenile was taken into custody and later released to parent.
Wednesday, April 13
• trespassing in the 400 block of North Memphis Street.
Thursday, April 14
• murder in the 100 block of North Market Street.
• malicious mischief in the 300 block of East Van Dorn Avenue.
• firearm discharged within the city limits in the 600 block of Swaney Drive. A citation was issued.
• a domestic dispute in the 200 block of Clara Avenue.
Friday, April 15
• disturbing the peace in the 200 block of McCoy Avenue.
Saturday, April 16
• telephone harassment in the 200 block of North Randall Drive.
Sunday, April 17
• petit larceny in the 100 block of W. Van Dorn Avenue.
• attempted burglary in the 100 block of Sharon Heights.
• domestic aggravated assault in the area of West Boundary and Valley Street. Charges were filed.
Two persons were arrested last week.
Michael Lay, 39, of the 100 block of Lay Road in Waterford, was arrested and charged with felony fleeing, Pearson said.
Pierre Stewart, 17, of the 1050 block of West Woodward, was arrested and charged with commercial burglary, he said.
Officers responded to these additional activities – speeding, 1; no proof of liability insurance, 2; no/expired tag 4; seat belt violation, 1; reckless driving, 1; careless driving, 2; driving while license suspended/disorderly conduct, 1 arrest; expired/no driver’s license, 1 arrest; DUI refusal, 1 arrest; domestic violence/simple assault, 1 arrest; theft of utilities, 1 arrest.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page