February 18, 2010
Calendar of Events
• music workshop Smith Grove MB Church choir, Feb. 17-19, 6:30 p.m. nightly. Climax on Feb. 20 with a worship concert at 6:30 p.m. There is a fee. Call Sis. Darlean Dowdy, 662-252-5014 or Sis. LaTosha Pigues, 901-517-4224. W.C. Conner, pastor, Sis. Queen McClain, director of music ministries.
• Ash Wednesday service The Mt. Comfort and Grays Chapel CME Churches of Holly Springs will be hosting a joint Ash Wednesday service on Wed., Feb. 17, 7 p.m. Inspirational singing, words by Rev. Charlton Johnson, and imposition of ashes will be held at Grays Chapel (3682 Hudsonville Road). For more information, please call Pastor Kaylan Walker, 662-252-5815 or Pastor Charlton Johnson, 901-277-3628.
• Revival Davis Temple, 635 West St., Holly Springs, pastor, Elder Robert Davis, 662-512-8514. Wed., Feb. 17 through Fri., Feb. 19, 7:30 p.m. nightly. Speaker will be Elder Jeremiah Simmons of Coleman’s Temple COGIC in Ripley. If you need a ride in the church van, please call Bro. Keith Anderson, 662-278-9611.
• Marriage Seminar Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 18-19, 7:30 p.m. nightly. Thursday will be conducted by Elder Curtis and Richenda Pritchard; and a special guest will be there on Friday night. Everyone is invited.
• EDUCATION MONTH HS Career and Technical Center celebrates Career and Technical Education Month, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Everyone is invited to visit the center and view the projects the students and instructors have prepared. The theme is “Invest In Your Future.” Contact Kashia Dowden, 252-2071 for more information. Located on 410 East Falconer Ave.
• Wild game supper Spring Hill Baptist Church in Waterford will have their annual wild game supper, Sat., February 20, 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Carl Graham. Door prizes. Free and everyone is invited. If you would like to prepare a wild game dish and enter it in the cook-off please join in the fun.
• Singing Clear Creek Baptist Church, Lamar, with Mike Devore. Fellowship at 6 p.m., singing at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• MEETING Marshall County Republican Club will meet at the Marshall County Library, 10 a.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
• STEWARDESS/USHER WORKSHOP will be held at St. Paul C.M.E. Church, 4957 Higdon Road, 10 a.m. Everyone is invited. Tony Wilkins is pastor.
• BENEFIT PROGRAM for the Byers Family and the Roddrick Isom Memorial Scholarship Fund will be held at the Oak Palace, 4 p.m. There will be local singers, choirs, and chorus groups. Admission will be $10 adults; students with ID $3; and children under 10 free. Donations can be made at any local bank.
• Intercessory prayer Ark of Safety Outreach Ministries, every third Saturday of the month, 10 a.m.-12 noon. Pastor Bruce and Doris Williams, founders, 4174 Old Hwy. 78 W., Red Banks, 662-551-1500, 901-282-8652.
• Dedication service The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have a dedication service for the new church at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Irons and the Cornerstone COGIC of Collierville. Everyone is invited. Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr. is pastor.
• FIFTY State Drive Kimbrough Chapel Church will have their 50-State Drive at 11 a.m.
• BLACK HISTORY PROGRAM Providence M.B. Church, 295 Withers Avenue, will be celebrating Black History Month beginning at 10:45 a.m. Praise Team dancers, Providence Praise Team and Hopewell No. 2 Praise Team will be there. Call Sandra Hodges, 662-544-6929, or Pastor Alonzo Johnson, 662-252-9003.
• TWELVE TRIBES of Israel Program will be held at True Vine MB Church, 525 West Street, 2 p.m. Rev. Willie Hoey and Pleasant Hill CME Church will be the guests. Everyone is cordially invited. Darrell E. Cunningham is pastor.
• EARLY SERVICES Mt. Pisgah CME Church located at 3877 Cayce Road will have services at 9 a.m. this Sunday only. Pastor Eddie J. Wilson invites all.
• REVIVAL The Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church, located at 3193 Marianna Road, under the leadership of Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson, will be having a “Kingdom Building Revival 2010,” Feb. 23-25, 7 p.m. nightly.
• HISTORY PROGRAM Ida B. Wells Museum will have an African American History program at the Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Building on Memphis Street in Holly Springs, 9 a.m. The guest will be Mrs. Margina Graham Parker, author of “I am Michelle Obama: The First Lady.”
• NAACP MEETING at Asbury United Methodist Church, 10 a.m. All members are invited to attend. For more information, call Al Beck at (662) 252-3426.
• Singing Rice Chapel Methodist, located on Hwy. 72, will have a special singing with Marvin Morrow. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. Rev. Walter Myers is pastor.
• Free throw tourney The local council of the Knights of Columbus will hold its annual Free Throw Tournament at Holy Family Gym on West Street on February 27, beginning at 11 a.m. The tournament is open to all children, girls and boys, between the ages of 10 and 14. All entrants must have a valid entry form authenticated by a parent or legal guardian to participate. For additional information you may contact C. Vinson at 252-2567 or V. Beard at 252-2018.
• Three on Three tourney, $75 grand prize. Feb. 27, 4 p.m. until at the Potts Camp High School gym. Entry fee per team, For more info. call Coach Michael Loden, 901-412-4400. Fund-raiser for the fast-pitch softball team.
• Black history program Free Branch MB Church, Sun., Feb. 28, 2 p.m. Pastor, J.L. Tunstall.
• Black history program Kimbrough Chapel Church will have a black history program, at 11 a.m.
• Black History Program Bibleway Outreach Fellowship Sun., Feb. 28, 3:30 p.m. Bishop Renzil Barringer is pastor. Everyone is invited!
• BENEFIT BBQ Winborn UMC will host a barbecue lunch at 11:30 a.m. The plate will be $7 and consist of barbecue, baked beans, slaw, dessert and drink. Carry-outs will be available. All proceeds benefit Tricia Kennedy Rooker’s daugther. Members have raffle tickets for a Remington 700 Mountain rifle, 270 with Tasco scope, bolt action. Approx. worth $1,000. Tickets are $1. Call Rev. Brownie Tohill at 534-8114 for more info.
• ONE DAY REVIVAL The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have a One-Day Revival for Annual Youth Day. Morning service 11 a.m.; evening service, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Walter Goodman Jr. of Sioux City, Iowa. Evening service will be at 3 p.m. with Pastor Thomas Trent of Rehoboth Outreach Ministries, Memphis, Tenn., and Christ Temple Youth Choir of Holly Springs. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Elder Curtis Prichard Sr.
• Soup Cook-Off Contest hosted by After Shock Youth of Friendship Assembly of God. $2 per bowl. Be sure to join us for a tasty good time. Church located on Hwy. 78, take Victoria exit 18, right on Friendship Road, half-mile to entrance.
• Special service hosted by Women’s Ministries of Friendship Assembly of God will be held at 10 a.m. The church is located on Hwy. 78. Take Victoria exit 18, go right on Friendship Road, half-mile to entrance.
• Training for the U.S. Census Bureau practice test will be held on March 2, at 4 p.m. at the Victoria Community Center, 77 Victoria Road in Victoria. If you are interested in working for the Census you will need to pass the Census taker test to qualify to work for the Census Bureau.
THIS IS NOT A JOB, THIS IS NOT JOB TRAINING, AND NO ONE IS PROMISING YOU A JOB. For more info. contact Wayne Jones at 662-252-2606 or George Zinn at 662-544-3270. Free!
• Prayer breakfast, Kimbrough Chapel Church, March 6, 8 a.m.
• Parents’ night, Kimbrough Chapel Church, March 12, 6 p.m.
• SUNDAY SCHOOL night, Kimbrough Chapel Church, March 13, 6 p.m.
• FAMILY AND FRIEND’S DAY Isaac Chapel Church, south of Byhalia on Hwy. 309, will have Family and Friend’s Day beginning at 11 a.m. with Evangelist Alma Ruth Brunson. Afternoon speaker will be Rev. Joe L. Tunstall and Free Branch Church from Holly Springs at 2:30 p.m. Lunch will be served. Willie Ward is host pastor.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation.
Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page