February 4, 2010
Calendar of Events
• PTA Meeting Holly Springs High School and junior high will host their monthly PTA meeting, Thurs., Feb. 4, 5:30 p.m. in the Holly High library.
• BLOOD DRIVE Holly Springs High School will be holding a blood drive Thursday, Feb. 4. It will be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Allied Health Room of the Vo-Tech Building. All donors will receive a T-shirt. The blood drive will be located at 410 East Falconer Street, Holly Springs.
• Birthday celebration Jones Grove MB Church will celebrate the 70th birthday of Rev. Joe Powell and Rev. John Powell, Feb. 5, 7 p.m., featuring the Jones Grove Church family. Guest speaker will be Rev. Marvin Brooks and Mighty God Ministries. Dinner will be served. For more info. call 901-299-8032.
• Awards banquet Marshall County Black History Coalition presents their fourth annual awards banquet, Feb. 6 at St. Paul Outreach Center, Hwy. 309 S., Byhalia. Guest speaker will be James Meredith. Tickets may be bought in advance; for more info. call 662-838-7719. Sponsored by the Marshall County Black Coalition, State Rep. Kelvin Buck and Rev. Andrew Cheairs.
• Musical program Rising Star MB Church, Sat., Feb. 6, 6 p.m. All groups, male choruses and choirs are asked to take part. Robert McClain, pastor.
• Singing, Chewalla Baptist Church, featuring “Picking Up The Pieces.” Fellowship meal at 5:30 p.m. and singing at 7.
• Live auction benefits Haiti earthquake victims, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 230 Main Street in Senatobia. Lots of donations have been made to this auction so you don’t want to miss it.
• Prayer breakfast Adolphus Chapel CME Church will hold their first annual prayer breakfast, Feb. 6, 8 a.m. Donation is requested. Sponsored by the Women’s Missionary Society.
• Beauty pageant Hickory Flat School, Sat., Feb. 6, 5 p.m., in the school auditorium. Admission, $4, all ages. Sponsored by the junior class.
• Celebration The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have their grand opening celebration for the new church at 3 p.m. Special guest will be the bishop for the Northern Jurisdiction in MS, T.T. Scott of St. James COGIC in Clarksdale. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• Missionary program Mt. Comfort CME Church, Sun., Feb. 7, 3 p.m. Rev. Mary Cole will be the guest speaker. Everyone is cordially invited.
• Dedication service, Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant, Mon., Feb. 8, 7 p.m. Conducted by Elder Connie Wright and the House of Faith COGIC of Somerville, Tenn. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• Meeting The Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club will meet at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, 6 p.m. Arbor Day trees project. Everyone interested in becoming a member is invited to attend.
• Banquet Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have a Valentine’s banquet, Sat., Feb. 13, 6 p.m. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr.
• Prayer breakfast Pre-Valentine prayer breakfast, Sat., Feb. 13, 9 a.m. Anderson Chapel CME Church fellowship hall. Rev. and Mrs. Rondias A. Cox will be speakers. Donation: $5.
• Fish fry Emory Independent Methodist Church’s annual St. Jude Benefit Fish Fry will be held at 5 p.m. We will be serving fish, hushpuppies, French fries, slaw and desserts. Entertainment will be given by “The Rewind Band.” Plates at $10 for adults, $5 for children (10 and under). All proceeds benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
• Holy Cake Scripture program Free Branch MB Church, pastor J.L. Tunstall. Sat., Feb. 13, 6 p.m.
• Valentine Ball Kimbrough Chapel Church will have a Valentine’s Ball at 6 p.m.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church will host a singing with fellowship at 5 p.m. and singing at 6:15 p.m. Featured singers will be Heaven’s Highway.
• Valentine Ball Hopewell No. 1 MB Church, Sat., Feb. 13, 6:30 p.m. at Annie’s Banquet Hall, 198 N. Memphis St. Entertainment, games, prizes, food and fun. Pastor Leroy and first lady Henrietta James, honorees. For tickets or more info. call Etoyil Long, sponsor; Pat Boga, 901-292-0698; Mamie Byers, coordinators; or the church, 662-252-7784 and leave a message.
• “Come As You Are” program at Pleasant Hill CME Church, Hwy. 72 at Mt. Pleasant, at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Jeffries and the Strawberry MB Church will be the guests. Rev. Willie Hoey and congregation invite everyone.
• Love/respect Conference Feb. 14, 6 p.m. at Faith Baptist Church, 3964 Hwy. 309, Byhalia. Give your marriage a Scripture-based foundation.
• Black history program Sunrise Chapter #166 Order of Eastern Star will have a black history program, Sun., Feb. 14, 2 p.m. at the Waterford Lodge Hall, Hwy. 310. Everyone is invited.
• Singing Friendship Baptist Church, Old Hernando Road will have a gospel singing featuring the Master’s Quartet. Sunday school, 9:45 a.m., worship service 11, lunch 12 noon to 1 p.m., singing to follow. Bro. Justin Haynes and congregation invite all to attend.
• Pancake supper, Christ Episcopal Church, Shrove Tuesday, Feb. 16, 5-7 p.m., at the church. Adults $8 and $4 for children over 12; free for 12 and under.
• music workshop Smith Grove MB Church choir, Feb. 17-19, 6:30 p.m. nightly. Climax on Feb. 20 with a worship concert at 6:30 p.m. There is a fee. Call Sis. Darlean Dowdy, 662-252-5014 or Sis. LaTosha Pigues, 901-517-4224. W.C. Conner, pastor, Sis. Queen McClain, director of music ministries.
• Marriage Seminar Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 18-19, 7:30 p.m. nightly. Thursday will be conducted by Elder Curtis and Richenda Pritchard; and a special guest will be there on Friday night. Everyone is invited.
• Wild game supper Spring Hill Baptist Church in Waterford will have their annual wild game supper, Sat., February 20, 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Carl Graham. Door prizes. Free and everyone is invited. If you would like to prepare a wild game dish and enter it in the cook-off please join in the fun.
• Singing Clear Creek Baptist Church, Lamar, with Mike Devore. Fellowship at 6 p.m., singing at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• Dedication service The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have a dedication service for the new church at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Irons and the Cornerstone COGIC of Collierville. Everyone is invited. Elder Curtis Pritchard Sr. is pastor.
• FIFTY State Drive Kimbrough Chapel Church will have their 50-State Drive at 11 a.m.
• Black history program Free Branch MB Church, Sun., Feb. 28, 2 p.m. Pastor, J.L. Tunstall.
• Black history program Kimbrough Chapel Church will have a black history program, at 11 a.m.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation.
Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page