Thursday, November 11, 2010
HSUD secures two blocks to fix leak
By SUE WATSON
Workers with the Holly Springs Utility Department, assisted by the firemen and police, repaired a gas leak Sunday at the intersection of Gholson and South Center Street.
A leak had developed in a two-inch line that connects to a high-pressure, four-inch main, according to Mitch Tomlinson with the gas department.
Fire department employees were on hand to provide fresh air to workers in the hole and to protect them in the event of an emergency, fire chief Kenny Holbrook said.
He said old lead gas pipes in the oldest section of town had loosened, probably due to shifting of the earth due to cooler weather, causing a crack in the line.
Fresh air supplied to gas workers via harnesses and hoses, a new technology acquired by the fire department several years ago, helped protect workers from exposure to gas fumes, Holbrook said.
Tomlinson said a 911 call alerted the city of the leak around 9:45 a.m. Sunday and the leak was fixed at noon, but cleanup continued until 3 p.m.
The area was secured, but no evacuation was required because the leak happened on a Sunday, he said. Workers shut off the gas supply to cut out a section of pipe that had a stress crack near a joint. The entire line that crosses the road will be replaced later.
“There is no more leak but we will do some follow-up work later in the week,” Tomlinson said.
The gas lines have been in place since the 1940s or early 1950s, he said.
Helping with the repair were Troy Wright, Gerald Dixon and Tracy Reynolds with the gas department.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page