October 21, 2010
Calendar of Events
• Rehearsal Community Christmas cantata rehearsal at Asbury United Methodist Church.
• MEet the hawks The Holly Springs Jr. High School cheerleaders, Hawks and Lady Hawks basketball teams invite everyone to come out and meet the teams, Thurs., Oct. 21, 5:30 p.m. at the Intermediate School for a Black and Gold game.
• Haunted House Potts Camp will host a Haunted House Oct. 22-23 and 29 and 30, in the Volunteer Fire Department on Cardinal St., 6:30 p.m. The fire dept. is located behind the town hall, The public is invited.
• SIXTH Annual Fall Festival will be held at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship, 6400 Blocker St., Olive Branch, (next to the middle school) from 3-6 p.m. All games, activities, snacks and candy are free! Bring the family!
• Prayer Breakfast hosted by Honor Bound Men’s Ministry of Friendship Assembly of God will be held at 7:30 a.m. All men are invited to join in this event. For more information please call the Church Office at 662-838-4000.
• FALL FESTIVAL Potts Camp and Mary Reid will have their annual Fall Festival, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be a silent auction from 10 a.m. till 5 p.m.; a fish fry in the cafeteria from 4 p.m.-6 p.m., fun-filled games for the family and a raffle. Everyone is invited!
• In concert Sat., Oct. 23, 6 p.m. the Christ New Beginnings MB Church mass choir will be in concert. Everyone is invited! Rev. Harvey L. Garrison is host pastor.
• Meeting The Marshall County branch of the NAACP will hold a general membership meeting at Asbury United Methodist Church, 10 a.m. on Saturday, October 23. All members whose memberships are current as of April 1 may be nominated for office or as an at-large member of the executive committee.
• Ladies meeting Victory Church ladies’ meeting will be held at 2 p.m., 103 Lowry Drive, Byhalia Industrial Park. Guest speaker will be Angelia Perez. For more info., call Sandra Shackelford, 901-326-0881, or Angela Flores, 662-279-7371.
•Banquet Strawberry MB Church cordially invites you to attend our Pastor and Wife’s Banquet honoring Rev. and Mrs. Willie F. Jeffries Jr. on Sat., Oct. 23, 7 p.m.
• Fall festival First Southern Baptist Church, Victoria, Oct. 23, with food, fun and games for all. Everyone is invited.
• Health fair Newell Chapel CME, 3085 Moore Road, Victoria, will have their annual community health fair from 10 a.m-2 p.m. Everyone is invited to come out and get your blood pressure and blood sugar checked, collect health information and learn more about breast cancer during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
• Singing Fourth Sat. night singing, Evangel Full Gospel Assembly, featuring local singers and congregational singing for everyone. Everyone is invited, 7 p.m.
• Early service Hopewell #2 MB Church will have their early Sunday morning worship service on the fourth Sunday of each month at 9:30 a.m. Everyone is invited.
• Pastor’s anniversary Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., Oct. 24, 2 p.m. with Pastor Darryl Petties and Mt. Pisgah MB Church of Olive Branch as special guests. All are invited. W.C. Conner is host pastor.
• Revival The First Baptist Church of Mt. Pleasant will hold a revival October 24-27. Dr. Tommy Vinson will be the guest evangelist and Alex Calderon will be music director. Everyone is welcome. The nursery will be open. Services will be Sunday-Wednesday, 7 p.m.
• Lunch in the fellowship hall of the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria, following worship service. Service starts at 11 a.m. if you would like to attend service, or come and meet us at 12 and have lunch with us after service.
• Family and friends’ day True Vine MB Church, Sun., Oct. 24, 2 p.m., with guest speaker James Green and the Finley Grove Church family. Host pastor is Darrell Cunningham. Everyone is invited.
• Church anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Baptist Church will celebrate their 115th church anniversary, Sun., Oct. 24, 11 a.m. Guests will be Rev. Mark Bryson and Liberty Institutional Baptist Church. Rev. J.W. Smith Jr. is host pastor.
• Love day Strawberry MB Church will be hosting our Pastor and Wife Love Day, honoring Rev. and Mrs. Willie F. Jeffries Jr., Oct. 24, 3 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Men’s Day Program Antioch MB Church, 1306 Gardner Road, Victoria, October 24 at 3 p.m. Pastor Willie Ward and Isaac Chapel Church are the special guests. Everyone is invited. Rev. Roger Daniel is pastor.
• Missionary program Mt. Pisgah CME Church will have regular services at 11 a.m. and will have their annual Missionary Program at 2:30 p.m. Sis. Ardelia Briggs will be the evening speaker. Come to 3877 Cayce Rd., Pastor is Eddie Joe Wilson.
• Youth and young adult day Pleasant Hill CME Church, 2:30 p.m. Everyone is invited. Rev. Willie Hoey is pastor.
• Revival Waterford United Methodist Church, Oct. 24-27, 7 p.m. nightly. Guest speaker will be Rev. John Wesley Pepper, pastor of Hunter’s Chapel and Truslow United Methodist churches in DeSoto County. Covered dish meal prior to the Sun. evening service, 6 p.m. Church is located in Waterford, Old Hwy. 7, across from the Post Office. Everyone is invited.
• In concert Strawberry MB Church will be hosting Lee Williams and George Dean in concert at 7 p.m. on Oct. 26. Emcee will be Rev. Andrew Cheairs. There will be food for sale and door prizes. Tickets are available at Zinn’s Plumbing, Electric and Heating (662-252-2017) and Southside Tire and Auto (662-252-6070). For more info. contact 662-252-5997 between 9 a.m.-12 noon.
• Fall festival Mt. Pisgah CME Church, 3877 Cayce Rd., Byhalia. Booths available. Rev. Eddie Joe Wilson is pastor.
• Haunted golf course, Kirkwood National, Oct. 28 and 31, 6:45-9 p.m. and from 6:45-10 p.m. on Oct. 29-30. Proceeds will benefit the Marshall Academy soccer team. There will be a concession stand, face painting and pumpkin painting. Haunted wagon ride (for a fee).
• Haunted House Potts Camp will host a Haunted House Oct. 29 and 30, in the Volunteer Fire Department on Cardinal St., 6:30 p.m. The fire dept. is located behind the town hall. The public is invited.
• BENEFIT PROGRAM A benefit program for Dorothy J. Stigall, who needs a kidney transplant, will be held at Mt. Sinai M.B. Church, Mt. Zion Road at Matthew’s Corner, 5 p.m. All donations can be sent to Citizens Bank in Byhalia, or mailed to Mt. Sinai Church at P.O. Box 69, Byhalia, MS 38611, in care of Dorothy Stigall Kidney Transplant Fund.
• Basketball registration The W.A.D.E.Y youth group will hold registration for girls basketball, ages 6-12, and group registration for boys and girls, ages 8-16. We will accept applications and meet at the Victoria Community Center on October 30. For more info. please contact Erica “Tweety” Tunstall, 901-279-5812.
• fall festival at Victory Church, 103 Lowry Drive, Byhalia, 5-7:30 p.m. Fun, games, prizes, food and fellowship. For more info. call Wanda Peyton, 662-851-4372.
• community-wide yard sale Sat., Oct. 30, from 6 a.m. to 12 noon. Brookside Baptist Church, at 4993 Hwy. 302 (Goodman Rd.), will host a community-wide yard sale. Spaces will cost $10 each. Call 662-404-1899 after 7 p.m. for more info.
• WATERFORD FALL FESTIVAL, sponsored by Spring Hill Baptist Church WMU, will be held beginning at 7 a.m. Events will be held at Hwy. 7 and Wilson Golden Road and at the Waterford Community Center. For more information contact Jim Robinson, 564-4084, or Rita Shaffer, 252-1700.
• Fall festival Clear Creek Baptist Church, Oct. 30, 5-8 p.m. Food, games and treats. Cake walk for adults. Bring a cake to participate. Hayride after. Everyone welcome.
• Hallelujah night Newell Chapel CME Church, 3085 Moore Road, Victoria, will be hosting their annual Hallelujah Night starting at 5 p.m. Lots of fun, games, prizes and food for the children. All kids are invited.
• Fall festival Friendship Baptist Church, Old Hernando Rd., Sat., Oct. 30. Hamburgers and hot dogs at noon, followed by cake walk, banana eating contest, pumpkin carving, bouncing and more fun games. Bro. Justin Haynes, pastor, and congregation, invites all.
• Trunk or treat Slayden Baptist Church, Oct. 30, 5:30-8 p.m. Food, hayride, bouncy, door prizes and much more. Please wear a non-scary costume.
• Homecoming Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have annual homecoming day at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Leon Gaston and the Powerhouse COGIC of Batesville; and the Concord MB Church of Lamar. All family, friends and former members are invited. Pastor is Curtis Pritchard.
• Harvest Festival hosted by the Children’s Super Church of Friendship Assembly of God will be held 6 p.m. till 9 p.m. The activities for this night are endless with carnival games, inflatable’s, challenges and so much more we’re sure you’ll have a grand time. Admission for the evening is one bag of candy per child. Be sure to join us as we celebrate the bounty of the harvest.
• In concert Adolphus CME Church choir will be in concert, Sun., Oct. 31, 2 p.m., singing the old school songs. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Billy Williams.
• Hallelujah Praise night Mighty God Ministries, pastored by Marvin Brooks, Sun., Oct. 31, 2:30 p.m. Choirs, praise teams and praise dancers are invited! Guest speaker will be Pastor LaDaryl Odum, St. Mark MB Church, Collierville, Tenn. For more info. call 901-859-4151.
• All saints night The youth and young adults at Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Old Hwy. 4 West, Activities will include hayrides, Bingo for adults, movie, trunk or treat, face paintings, contests and refreshments. Bring the family, Sun., Oct. 31, 5 p.m.
• Meeting The Holly Springs Masonic Lodge No. 35 will meet at 7 p.m. on Nov. 1. All are called to attend. Dues are to be paid by Dec. 1, 2010.
• HOB NOB in park sponsored by the men of Powell Chapel Masonic Lodge No. 339. Nov. 1, at Sam Coopwood City Park, Candidates have been invited. Refreshments and fun for the entire family. For more info. call 662-551-0750.
• Revival Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Tues. Nov. 2-Thurs., Nov. 4, 7 p.m. Guest church, Rev. Chris William and Mt. Sinai MB Church. Host pastor, Rev. Jerry Christian Jr. All are welcome.
• Hunter Safety Class Potts Camp High School on November 4-6. Thursday and Friday, 6 p.m., Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information and to register for class, call 662-563-6330.
• Children’s party A pizza, game party will be held Friday. November 5 in the Victoria United Methodist Church fellowship hall for all children, ages 3 to 11 in the community. Time is 7-8:30 p.m. Come and enjoy a great time.
• Fellowship supper A chili etc. fellowship supper will be served on Sat., Nov. 6 from 5-7- p.m. in the Victoria United Methodist Church fellowship hall. All are invited to come and have good food and fellowship with your friends and neighbors.
• Singing Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church in Cayce, Nov. 6, beginning at 7 p.m. Featured guests will be local singers, and pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• PROGRAM, Women in Hats, Men in Black, Reid’s Gift MB Church in Potts Camp, on November 7 at 9 a.m. Everyone is welcomed.
• Harvest day program Pleasant Hill CME Church, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Enyloe of Mt. Zion Church in Piperton will be the guest speaker. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor.
• christmas home tour will be held in Holly Springs, December 4 and 5. Advanced tickets are $18 and $22 after Nov. 28. $15 for groups of 10 or more if purchased before Nov. 27. Go to www.visithollysprings.com or call 888-687-4765 for more information.
• Midweek Service will be held each Wednesday night at Isaac Chapel, Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, 7 p.m. There will be a different speaker for each service. Pastor Willie Ward invites everyone.
• FIFTH SUNDAY SERVICES Wilkins Chapel CME Church, Waterford, is now having 5th Sunday services. Sunday school, 10 a.m., morning worship, 11 a.m. Broadcast every Sunday, 6:30 p.m., FM 92.7.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting SOS Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy. 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation.
Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - Open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page