September 23, 2010
Darcie Gibson celebrates 12th
Darcie Gibson celebrated her 12th birthday over the weekend. A few friends, along with family, spent the night in Southaven at the Comfort Inn and Suites. The group swam and then headed out to Qdoba Mexican Grill for dinner. They went on to the mall afterwards and then to a movie. Happy birthday, Darcie!
Christopher and Jenny Cupp and daughter, Emma Grace, of Olive Branch, spent Sunday with Becky Cupp. They attended church services at Christ Episcopal and then visited at home.
(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261. You may also e-mail your City Personal news to email@example.com).
Mary Bohlke and Bob Dickerson to say vows October 23
Connie Bohlke of Oxford and Tom and Sherri Bohlke of Olive Branch announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Mary Bohlke of Sardis, to Bob Dickerson of Holly Springs.
Mary is the granddaughter of Francis Short of Sardis and the late Monroe Short; Jerri Zimmerman and John Bohlke of New Orleans, La.
A graduate of Magnolia Heights, she majored in elementary education at the University of Mississippi. She is employed with The Neighborhood School in Daphne, Ala.
Bob is the son of Kenny and Diane Dickerson of Holly Springs and the grandson of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alton Dickerson; Verna McAlexander and the late Bob McAlexander.
A graduate of Marshall Academy, he received a bachelor of science in criminal justice at the University of Mississippi. He is employed with the U.S. Marshals Service.
The wedding will be held at 6 p.m. on October 23, 2010 at the First United Methodist Church in Holly Springs.
All family and friends are cordially invited to attend.
Miss Jamye Leak and Jonathan Thweatt to wed October 9 at Montrose
Mr. and Mrs. Gary Looney of Waterford and Mr. and Mrs. Mark Leak of Lamar are pleased to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Jamye Elaine Leak, to Jonathan Mathew Thweatt of Victoria.
The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Palmer of Waterford and Ecky Leak and the late Kenneth Leak of Lamar. Jamye attended Marshall Academy and earned her bachelor’s of science in business administration in 2008 from the University of Mississippi. She is currently a pharmacy technician at Ashland Drug in Ashland.
Jonathan is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Roberson of Victoria and Rodney Thweatt of West Memphis, Ark. He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Elroy Thweatt of West Memphis, and Gatha Matlock and the late N.D. Matlock of Pensacola, Fla. He attended Marion High School in Marion, Ark. He is the owner of Thweatt Electric and General Contracting in Victoria.
Jamye and Jonathan will be united in marriage at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010, at antebellum home Montrose in Holly Springs with the reception immediately following. After their honeymoon, the couple will make their home in Victoria.
1936 WPA display of historical interest
I must tell you about a public event affair that happened here on July 9, 1939 and I really wish I remembered being there! Relics and antiques were collected from each section of the county. Only a few of them were mentioned but it sounds like a museum extravaganza.
From Bethlehem, Mr. and Mrs. Laws exhibited historic papers from the Boston Gazette from 1776, a Holly Springs Gazette dated 1856, a collection of Mr. Law’s colonial money, and Mr. Law’s Civil War dagger.
From Byhalia a “Powder Gourd” carried through the Revolutionary War by Charles Hicks, grandfather of C.T. Hicks, was displayed. Also a wedding shawl worn in England by the great-great grandmother of Mrs. J.H. Hughey, a coffee gourd used for parched coffee, and also fluting iron, property of Mrs. George Sigman Sr. and other interesting articles were displayed.
From Mt. Pleasant, came a valuable collection of Civil War guns, bayonets, swords, daggers, powder horns, shot bags, and an old handmade map of Mt. Pleasant, made in the 1830s when the town was incorporated.
From Red Banks, Miss Dorothy Power placed on display an old Seth Thomas clock owned by Miss Elizabeth Kizer, and arithmetic dated 1818, a candle mold, a shoe mold, a bullet mold, owned by Matt Gardner, a Civil War Bible and whistle owned by Mrs. Goodman.
Miss Sallie Cochran had a small trunk used in the early days as a receptacle for valuable documents.
The Potts Camp collection, supervised by Wilfred Bowen and James Pierce, consisted of books, guns, swords, etc., all of an age that insured their historic value.
The Chulahoma accumulation, under the direction of Mrs. Irene Tucker and the Echols, owned by Buford Gatewood, attracted much attention, Hitting only the high points of the Holly Springs collection, were papers of Samuel McCorkle, telling many relative facts of Holly Springs and Marshall County saying that the public is indebted to Mrs. Corrine Butler for the use of these papers.
Another display “of valuable historical data” was that of Mrs. L.A. Smith Jr. In this group were two ancestral diaries, one dated 1819, the other 1827.
Mrs. Egbert Jones’ contribution consisted of an old land grant, issued by the Indian Land Grant more than 100 years ago, (remember this was 1936) pottery which ante-dates Columbus, silver handed down five generations and other historical articles. Individuals showed their special artifacts and relics.
Mrs. Walker Humphreys exhibited a little book, “Henry Luria” or “The Little Jewish Convert,” written by Mrs. S.L. Cohen (she was the rabbi’s wife) in 1880. Accompanying the book were photographs of the author, her daughter, her great-granddaughter, Mrs. Rebecca Humphreys, who was the grandmother of Walker Humphreys.
A candle holder used by a miner during the gold rush of 1849 and a German luster cup, the art of which is now extinct, were exhibited by Mrs. Charley Sigman. Anne Dabney Wall and Billie Wall, grandchildren of Martha Ann Pegues, showed a diary, a friendship album of 1841 Martha’s diploma from Richmond Euphradian Academy in 1826.
Also shown was Mrs. Gerald Badow’s collection of antiques which consisted of hair jewelry, handsome laces, and embroideries, dresses, and daguerreotypes, eliciting considerable interest. Lizzie and Sadie Wells displayed woolen sheets made of wool grown on their grandfather’s farm and spun and woven on the plantation. John William Miller’s collection of Indian relics received a share of interest and discussion. A spoon brought over before the Revolutionary War by the niece of Lord Cornwallis was on loan by the great-granddaughters and niece of Mrs. Jim Arrington, Mrs. Lytle Rather and Miss Marjorie Jennings. Mrs. Amelia Lacy exhibited a fabulous jewelry collection which had been passed down from generation to generation. She also had a letter written by George Washington to General Moultrie and a piece of the last “wallpaper edition” of the Vicksburg Herald. Mrs. Lanier Robison and Mary Brooks Mullins brought several ancestral Brooks antiques, one which was a quilt that had won the grand prize in an 1861 exhibit. One of the most interesting exhibits was that of Mrs. Eugene Ragsdale, one article of which was a satin slipper worn by a Brown ancestor 300 years ago. Mrs. Rittlemeyer exhibited a special edition of the Holly Springs Reporter in the form of a “Carrier’s Address” to the grief stricken city following the yellow fever scourge in 1878. Carriers were C.L. Mosby and L.G. Lucas. Mrs. Pattie Turner exhibited an antique violin thought by many to be a Stradivarius. This violin, which was in the Turner family for 100 years, has a case elaborately carved and inlaid with pearl. Among the jewelry displayed by Mrs. Robert A. Seale, Sr. was a pearl and gold crucifix, an heirloom of the Lucas family. Robert McDermott showed a plaque taken from the court house wall commemorating the Yellow Fever Catholic Sisters who gave their lives during this scourge. Mr. Pinkston exhibited a pre-war “coverlet” made by his grandmother and hand-written arithmetic by his father.
Mrs. Douglas Baird and Mrs. Robert Dancy exhibited a portrait of their great-grandfather, Green Pyor, one of the first and most prominent settlers in Marshall County, James Lyon exhibited General Anthony Wayne’s dueling pistols, given to him when he came south in 1834, silver spoons given as a wedding gift in 1825, the only old iron street car rail taken up from the streets of Holly Springs in 1878.
A few of these incredible treasures we have at the museum today. If we had had a museum back then, we would probably have received all of these precious artifacts for you to see.
The WPA exhibited these interesting and valuable artifacts. This gathering of history was done under Roosevelt’s “New Deal” program putting people together to work and to write the history.
We use these WPA records all the time here at the museum.
Miss Nettie Fant Thompson was one of the history gatherers. Before that, she was the town artist, but that doesn’t always pay too good.
We are working on the fantastic history tour. If you want to go, let us know. Call 662-252-3669.
Martha Fant sent us this account of what was happening here in 1936, which was in The South Reporter.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page