Thursday, September 16, 2010
County board OKs budget
By SUE WATSON
Marshall County residents will not see a tax increase on real and personal property for the upcoming fiscal year beginning October 1. The tax levy will remain the same as last year at 112.63 mills.
The total county budget for the fiscal year was adopted at $19,639,963, with a total revenue projected at $17,941,173. The nearly $2 million difference in the adopted budget and projected revenue is accounted for by carry-over funds from the present fiscal year. Projected revenue is down for the upcoming year due to a decrease in the total assessed value of property in the county.
About 70 percent of the revenue in the new budget is derived from ad valorem taxes, according to chancery clerk Chuck Thomas. The remaining 30 percent comes from a variety of sources including penalties, fees, permits, fines and grant monies.
The value of the mill dropped $5,857 for the new fiscal year. Last year the general county mill was worth $180,023 and this year the general county mill is worth $174,166. Last year the road and bridge mill was worth $165,689 and this year the mill dropped $4,300 to $161,389.
The loss in revenue expected in the county due to the decrease in the total assessed valuation of the county created a $400,000 budget deficit in the general county fund and a $200,000 deficit in the road and bridge fund.
Supervisors chose an across-the-board cut in department budgets of 3.3 percent rather than raise the mill rate. Health insurance increased by 17 percent for the county.
Employees received no cost of living raises this year - the third straight year of no raises - in order to hold down the tax burden for taxpayers.
Thomas said if the budget had not been slashed by 3.3 percent, the general county mill rate would have been raised by 2.45 mills and the road and bridge mill rate would have increased by 1.23.
The school district did not request an increase in revenue this year.
The budget is published on page 11.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page