sixth in overall track meet
Seven Marshall Academy athletes competed in the Overall Track and Field Championship last weekend with the 4x100 meter relay team bringing home the biggest prize.
Jake Delashmit, Elgin Lafever, Hank Owens and Tyler Childers placed first in the event with a time of 44.94, just ahead of River Oaks School’s 45.44.
As a team, MA finished sixth out of 19 schools with 45 points. The first- through fifth-place winners were Columbia Academy (108), Centreville Academy (105), Indianola Academy (79), Silliman Institute (59) and Central Private School (46).
Patriots also earned a couple of second-place honors. Joey Brock was second in the long jump (20-07.25). The 4x200 relay team, consisting of Delashmit, Lafever, Brock and Owens also took second (1:33.73).
Childers darted his way to third place in the 100 meter dash (11.51).
Other finishes that produced points included:
• John Tomlinson, seventh, shot put, 41-01.25; seventh, 300 meter hurdles, 44.41; and sixth, 110 meter hurdles, 18.06.
• Neil Murphy, eighth, 400 meter dash, 58.18.
• Lafever, fifth, 200 meter dash, 23.44.
• Owens, eighth, triple jump, 38-02.
The Marshall Academy boys finished third in the North State Meet on Monday of last week with the top four finishers in each event going on to state. As a team, MA totaled 46 points, just one behind second-place Canton (47). Indianola won first with 83.5.
• Shot put - first, Tomlinson, 42-05.
• Triple jump - second, Owens, 38-11.
• 300 meter hurdles - second, Tomlinson, 44.24.
• 4x200 meter relay - first, Delashmit, Lafever, Brock, Owens, 1:36.20.
• 4x100 meter relay - second, Delashmit, Lafever, Owens, Childers, 46.90.
• 110 meter hurdles - second, Tomlinson, 18.12.
• 100 meter dash - fourth, Childers, 12.36.
• 400 meter dash - third, Murphy, 56.70.
• 200 meter dash - second, Lafever, 24.61; fourth, Owens, 25.60.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page