April 8, 2010
Smith home setting for Easter dinner
Christopher and Jenny Cupp and daughter, Emma Grace, were Easter guests of Becky Cupp and Billy and Tammy Cupp.
Vivian and Eugene Smith hosted Easter dinner for their families. Those who attended the big dinner were Drs. Jason and Lea Farese and children, Luke and Alexa of Oxford, Mr. and Mrs. John Farese and children, Emma Reed, Ellis and Stannard, also of Oxford, Pam Michael and her children, Evan and Chandler Grace, of Memphis, Vicki and Walter Webb, Linda Stubbs and Wesley Webb, of Oxford. Lea brought a container full of eggs to hide for the children to hunt after lunch. They were not only candy-filled, but some had money and numbered pieces of paper, which allowed the children to get prizes. Grady Brooks participated in this tradition with the families.
Happy birthday wishes go out to Linda Stubbs, who celebrated Saturday.
Pilgrimage is upon us once again - next weekend. The Holly Springs Garden Club has fabulous activities planned for the weekend including a 5K run, crafts show and a luncheon with the Sweet Potato Queen.
Everyone is getting their yards prepared for the big tourist weekend here. It is wonderful to see what great pride most of our townspeople take in their yards in the spring, especially right before pilgrimage.
If you happen to be out and about near the Catholic Church on Van Dorn, take a gander at the yard that has the 18-wheeler trailer parked in it. That is especially nice to welcome our visitors to this historic town. Not only is there a perpetual yard sale going on at that particular home (zoned for business? Really?), now there is a huge white trailer parked there. Definitely a head scratcher, folks.
Enjoy this beautiful weather! Take full advantage of fluffing up your yards if not to make it presentable for guests, then for yourselves!
(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261. You may also e-mail your City Personal news to email@example.com).
Miss Sarah Miller and Jason Taylor to wed June 5 at Christ Church
Sarah Miller and Jason Taylor announce their engagement and upcoming marriage for June 5, 2010.
Sarah is the daughter of Ann and David Miller of Ripley. She is the granddaughter of Nancy Jumper and the late James Jumper, and Barbara Miller and the late James Miller, all of Ripley.
Jason is the son of Betty and Dale Taylor of Florence, Ala. He is the grandson of Corrine and the late CG Taylor of Pearl and Josie and the late Jack Smith of Brookhaven.
Sarah is a 1999 graduate of Ripley High School. She received a bachelor’s degree in communication, as well as a master’s degree in English from Mississippi State University. She is currently a teacher at Marshall Academy.
Jason is a 1996 graduate of Brooks High School in Florence, Ala. He received his bachelor’s degree in history from Athens State University. He received his master’s in history from Mississippi State University in 2007. He is currently an agent with American General Life and Accident in Memphis, Tenn.
The couple invites all family and friends to attend the 6 p.m. ceremony at Christ Episcopal Church in Holly Springs on Saturday, June 5. A dinner and dance reception will follow at Montrose.
Kami Marion and Carrlon Miller say vows in March 13 ceremony
Claudette Marion and James Marion of Holly Springs are proud to announce the marriage of their daughter, Kami Marion of Holly Springs to Carrlon Miller of Holly Springs.
He is the son of Edna Miller of Holly Springs and Edward Long of Texarkana, Tx.
They were married on March 13, 2010. A reception was held at Kirkwood National Golf Club.
They would like to thank all family and friends who shared with them on their special day.
Demetia Faulkner and Easkline Ford Jr. are pleased to announce the birth of their second child together, Elexcia Yalanda Ford, born Feb. 24, 2010 at Baptist Hospital in New Albany. She weighed seven pounds, one ounce and was 18 inches long.
Maternal grandparents are Linda Faulkner and the late Aubry Wicks and Eddie and Inda B. Faulkner.
Paternal grandparents are Easkline Ford Sr. and Lucille Ford.
The baby is welcomed home by her sister, Ca’Dedra Faulkner and brothers, Ca’Darryl Faulkner, Ca’Darrius Jones and Easkline Ford III.
Jason and Desiree Howell are the proud parents of a baby girl. Kaylee Summer Howell was born Nov. 16, 2009 at Baptist Hospital in Oxford. She weighed seven pounds, 14 ounces and was 20-1/2 inches long.
Grandparents are Tommy and Tona Barrett of Laws Hill and Michael and Melanie Howell of Potts Camp and David and Tammy Pinnow of Hernando.
Mississippi Synodical College 1863 - 1939
Forty years ago the Marshall County Historical Museum was formed. The Marshall County Historical Society saw the opportunity of a great home in this beautiful building at College and Randolph, which was on the verge of being razed into a parking lot. All of our Marshall County treasures were being given to other places as we had no place to store them. The date was March of 1970 and the Historical Society asked the owners of the building if we could use it for a museum to house the county’s treasures. After five visits they said OK. The owners are the supervisors of Marshall County.
Mississippi Synodical College began as Maury Institute. Torn down in 1945 was the columned Watson Mansion adjacent to our building which was the original school before the Civil War and also the building to the rear was the wonderful little auditorium which we need today, but it’s gone.
Miss Lizzie Watson, Judge J.W.C. Watson’s daughter and Miss Cora Watson, Civil War widowed daughter-in-law of Judge Watson, held school for the neighborhood children, which turned into a boarding school. It was located in the Watson Mansion on College Avenue and Maury Street. Later the name was changed to the Maury Institute. I remember Belle Bates, Major Strickland’s daughter, who during the War Between the States, while her father was at war, boarded here and wrote her diary about things happening in town. In 1892, Dr. Raymond became president of the school and renamed it, “North Mississippi Presbyterian College.” In 1902 the three Johnson sisters of Walter Place, who were alumni of the existing school here, hired world-famous architect Theodore Link to build this magnificat mansion where we are today, plus an annex connecting this building to the antebellum Greek Revival Watson Mansion. He designed an auditorium, which was connected to our existing building which was torn down. In 1903 the school was taken over by the Presbyterians and was called the Mississippi Synodical College. It lasted until 1939 when the school was merged with Belhaven. The building now houses the Marshall County Historical Museum.
The Hull House originally sat where the Marshall County Museum sits today. The museum’s five cellar rooms were first the celler for the Hull House. In 1903, when the present building was built, the Hull House was moved back to the north corner of this block and used as the “College Annex” of Mississippi Synodical College. Hull House was built in 1837 by Patrick Burton and stepson Seldon Burton and was the home of Major and Mrs. Dabney Hull. It had a total of sixteen columns around the sides and was grand. During the perilous war – time days, their nephew, Captain Edward H. Crump, was sitting on the veranda with his horse tied at the gate, when the cry “the Yankees are coming,” rang out. There was not time -- nowwhere to hide horse and rider, but Mrs. Hull rallied to the occasion. “Quick, Ed, bring the horse into the parlor.” And so he did, both hiding behind the heavy portieres as the Yankee Army dashed on, Mrs. Hull calmly sweeping the porch answering questions. After being used as an “Annex” to the Mississippi Synodical College for 47 years, the house was torn down in1945.
Today our museum welcomes hundreds of visitors from all over the world as we have a four-star rating with AAA. We have a great Mississippi Shop where we sell local souvenirs, unusual gifts, Civil War artifacts, flags and localized caps; and T-shirts, new postcards of Holly Springs, and books by local authors are available. We are open from Monday through Saturday.
There is an admission fee at the door to pay the expenses. We have 25 rooms counting our three new elevator rooms and we are the eighth wonder of the world.
Next week the honorable Senator Roger Wicker will be our guest at our “Grand Re-Opening” on April 17.
We are bringing out the Holly High Band for this momentous occasion.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page