October 22, 2009
Calendar of Events
• Dulcimers Club meeting at the Marshall County Library in Holly Springs, second and fourth Thursdays, 2-4 p.m.
• Relay for life meeting The ACS Marshall County Relay for Life committee meeting will be Thursday, October 22, at 5:30 p.m. and the team captain’s meeting will follow at 6:45 p.m.
• HOMECOMING PARADE Byhalia High School Homecoming Parade will be held at 5 p.m.
• Youth Rally First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, is hosting a youth rally October 23, 7 p.m. featuring Jeremy Horn.
• REUNION Northwest Mississippi Community College will host a reunion for the Classes of 1969 during Homecoming week at 5:30 p.m. in the Haraway Center on the Senatobia campus. The reunion will also include the Class of 1967, 1968 and 1970. An all-you-can-eat dinner will be available for $8.50, which does not have to be paid in advance. For more information, contact Dolores Wooten at 662-560-1105, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Dungeon Haunted House at Wall Doxey State Park, sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 43 will be held Friday and Saturday, 7 p.m. -10 p.m. Admission is $5 or groups of five or more $4 each. Concessions, cake walk, games for young kids, hayrides, costume contest Saturday night. Just five miles south of Holly Springs on Hwy. 7.
• Fall Festival and flea market, October 24, 10 a.m. until, First Baptist Church, Potts Camp.
• FALL FESTIVAL-HAUNTED HOUSE Byhalia Elementary PTA is hosting a Fall Festival and Haunted House, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. There will be concessions, games, raffles, and finger printing for children. For booth rental call Nicholas Carson, 901-299-5609.
• Free Fall Festival at CrossPointe Christian Fellowship, Saturday, October 24, 3-6 p.m. at 6400 Blocker St. in Olive Branch. Free snacks and candy, giant slide, bounce house, carnival games, pony rides and petting zoo, cake walk and so much more! Everyone is invited to attend this free event.
• Yard sale Barton United Methodist Church, 3229 Hwy. 309 N., is having a giant inside yard sale, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. All proceeds benefit the Outreach Program. There is something for everyone.
• Teen workshop North MS Community Research is sponsoring a workshop on teen pregnancy prevention, Sat., Oct. 24, 10 a.m. to 12 noon at the St. Joseph Catholic Church, 305 E. Van Dorn Ave.
• Halloween Carnival and wrestling will be held at Barton Fire Department. Starts at 3 p.m. with bounces, games and raffles. Wrestling from 5-7 p.m. with hayride to follow.
• Fall festival Friendship Baptist Church, Hernando Road, will hold a Christian Fall Festival, 3 p.m., for all ages. Games, bouncy, face painting, washers, horseshoes, and more. Hamburgers and hotdogs will be served. Bro. Justin Haynes and congregation invite everyone.
• Reunion meeting St. Mary’s/CADET/Holy Family reunion committee will have their monthly meeting, Sat., Oct. 24 at Mi Pueblo’s Restaurant, 1688 Crescent Dr. (behind Auto Zone). Alumni, former students, former faculty and staff, along with present faculty and staff are encouraged to attend. For more info. see Willie Mallory, chairperson or Faye Russell, vice-chair. Or, call 901-292-0698.
• Memphis wrestling Sat. night, Oct. 24, Potts Camp High School gym, bell time, 7:30 p.m. Featuring WWE Hall of Famer and co-host of Monday Night Raw, Jerry “The King” Lawler, and many more. Tickets will be sold at the door. For more info. call 662-333-6354. Proceeds benefit the Potts Camp School football program.
• Fall festival Victoria Heights Baptist Church will have a fall festival, 5 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Chili, hot dogs, games, costume contest, hayride and more. Come join the fun.
• Singing Evangel Full Gospel
Assembly, 766 Evangel Rd., will feature The New Destiny Singers of
Grenada, Sat., Oct. 24. Local singers participating and congregational
singing for everyone. Everyone is invited, 7 p.m.
• Church anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church will celebrate their 114th anniversary Oct. 25.
• Pastor’s anniversary Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., Oct. 25, 2 p.m. Pastor Odie Williams Jr. and Philadelphia MB Church of Rossville, Tenn., will be guests. W.C. Conner, host pastor.
• Men and women’s day Rising Star MB Church, Oct. 25, 11 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Robert McClain invites everyone.
• “Oh Horrors, It’s Murder” The Marshall Academy Patriot Performers will present a play, Sun., Oct. 25, 2 p.m. and Mon., Oct. 26, 7 p.m. For ticket info., please call 662-252-3449.
• Revival Waterford United Methodist Church will hold a revival October 25-28, 7 p.m. each evening. Rev. Doug Pepper from Panola Charge UM Churches will be the guest speaker. Rev. Milton Watley, pastor.
• Revival Anderson Chapel Church, countywide revival, October 25-28. For more info. call 252-1938.
Installation service Pine Grove East MB Church of Water Valley
cordially invites the public to attend their Installation Service for
their new pastor, Edrick Garrison on Sunday, October 25. The morning
service will begin at 11 a.m. with Pastor Harvey Garrison of Christ New
Beginning and evening service at 3 p.m. with Pastor Keith Pendilton of
Mt. Zion Taska of Byhalia.
• spay/neuter CLinic The Marshall County Humane Society sponsored, low-cost spay/neuter clinic will not be open!
• Octoberfest will be held at Watson Community Church, 5-8 p.m. There will be hot dogs, chili, games, prizes, and cake walk. Fun for all ages.
Fall festival H.W. Byers PTA will have their annual Fall Carnival at
the school. Food, games and prizes available. For more information call
PTA president Elaine Billingsley.
• “A Community Affair” Harvest Festival Fun with the Children’s Super Church of Friendship Assembly of God will be held. The fun-filled night begins at 6 p.m. with inflatibles, games, hay rides, good eats and much, much more. Be here to be a part of this incredible night. Admission is one bag of candy per child.
• “Trunk a treat” Heritage Apostolic Church, Heritage Dr., Oct. 31, 7 p.m. until!
• “Haunted (Harmon)Town” Come visit a haunted town for Halloween, Sat., Oct. 31, 5-9 p.m. Small admission charge. Hot dogs, drinks, and a hayride (separate smaller charge), along with lots of fun! The first hayride of the evening will be “ghoul free.” Northwest Side Civic Club, in the Harmontown community, is located just off Hwy. 310 (at the Piney Point turn).
• Fall festival Hill Crest Baptist Church, 1580 Hwy. 309 S., Byhalia, is having a fall festival, 2-7 p.m. Come and enjoy music, food, fun and fellowship. Pastor is David Jordan.
• Fall Festival Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church located on Cayce Road will have a Fall Festival, 6 p.m. There will be games, prizes, food, and costume contest. Trick or treaters welcome.
Harvest festival Barton First Baptist Church, 523 Quinn Rd., hosts a
Western Harvest Festival, 4-8 p.m. Dress in your best Western attire.
Come eat, watch a juggler perform, and play lots of games. A safe
alternative to Halloween.
• Homecoming at Holly Hill Baptist Church, Old Hwy. 7, Holly Springs, Sun., Nov 1. Guest preacher is Bro. J.T. Baskin from Colt, Ark. Featured singers will be The Masters Quartet. Services start at 11 a.m. Lunch after the morning service. Special singing will start at 1:30 p.m. Bro. Frank Feathers invites all.
• Love day St. Mark Church will celebrate Pastor and Wife’s Love Day, for pastor Patrick Bailey and first lady Gloria Bailey, Sun., Nov. 1, 2:30 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Kenneth Artison of Byhalia. Everyone is invited.
• Worship service Kimbrough Chapel Church will have first Sunday night worship service, Nov. 1, 7 p.m. Pastor, J.W. Smith Jr.
Senior Citizen’s Day Nov. 4, Emory Independent Methodist Church will
host their annual Senior Citizen’s Day. All senior citizens are
invited to join in this time of community fellowship. The meal is set
to begin at noon.
• Dulcimers Club meeting at the Marshall County Library in Holly Springs, second and fourth Thursdays, 2-4 p.m.
Craft fair Arkabutla Baptist Church, Nov. 6-7 at the community center.
Fresh produce, etc. For booth rentals, call 662-562-6076.
Singing Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church located on Cayce Road will have
a gospel singing with featured guests “Destiny Gospel Singers.” Time
will be 7 p.m.
• Harvest Day will be held at Community Temple Church, 3 p.m Dinner will be served. Host pastor is Elder Frank Moore, 662-851-3388.
• Anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church, 1182 Kimbrough Chapel Road, Lamar, will celebrate the 10th anniversary with Joe Luellen and the Luellen Gospel Singers, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Ronnie Franklin and Chulahoma Church will be the guests.
• Harvest Day will be held at Free Branch MB Church, 9 a.m. with morning worship. Bishop Gipson will be the guest speaker. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites all.
• Appreciation service The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will be having an appreciation service for Minister Sammie and Sister Curtanya Smith at 3 p.m. Special guest speaker will be Elder Robert Kelly of Como and guest choir will be Bibleway Outreach Fellowship of Byhalia. Everyone is welcome.
• Love Day St. Mark Church will
celebrate pastor Patrick Bailey and first lady Gloria Bailey’s annual
Love Day, Sun., Nov. 8, 2:30 p.m. Guests will be Rev. Kenneth Artison
and St. Matthews of Byhalia.
48 Angels program The Ark of Safety Outreach Minister will have their
48 Angels program at 2:30 p.m. The church is located next to Grady’s
Meat Market, Red Banks. Pastor is Bruce and Doris Williams.
Appreciation service The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will be having
an appreciation service for Minister Raymond and Sister Jorena
Pritchard, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Napoleon Lesueur and
Tabernacle of Prayer of Holly Springs; and Concord Mass Choir of
Slayden. Everyone is invited.
• Thanksgiving service Kimbrough Chapel Church will have Thanksgiving service, Nov. 25, 6:30 p.m. Pastor, J.W. Smith Jr.
• Anniversary Free Branch MB Church hosts Freemanaires Anniversary, 6 p.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting S O S Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy... 309 S Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy... 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page