September 16, 2009
Calendar of Events
• Tent revival Sept. 14-18, New Dimension Salt and Light Ministries, West Valley St., across from Holly Springs Intermediate School and ICS Head Start. Prayer, 6 p.m. nightly, service, 7 p.m. nightly. Pastor, Actavatis A. Allen.
• Revival Byhalia Church of Christ, 77 Algee St., will have a revival-gospel meeting, September 17-20. The theme is “Staying Focused in an Unclear World.” Services will be Thursday and Friday, 7:15 p.m., Saturday, 4 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
• Book signing Jennie’s Flowers and Gifts, Thurs., Sept. 17, 4-7 p.m. Meet Virginia Brown, author of “Dixie Divas.” Call 662-252-4831 for more info.
Church picnic Bibleway Outreach on Hwy. 178 W. in Byhalia will be having their church picnic on Saturday, Sept. 19, 11 a.m. There will be food, fun and games. Everyone is welcome.
• 40th class reunion Memphis Tech High Class of 1969 will hold their 40th reunion celebration on the Tech campus, 1266 Poplar Ave., 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Dress casual. For more info. contact David French, 678-516-1305, or Cecilia Hatch Shettles, 901-428-0535, or visit website at memphistechhigh.com.
• Singing, Sat., Sept. 19, Clear Creek Baptist Church, with the Williams Family from Wren. Fellowship at 6 p.m., music at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• Meeting St. Mary’s/CADET/Holy Family Reunion Committee, monthly meeting, Holy Family School Library on Sat., Sept. 19, at 12 noon. Refreshments and drawings for prizes. Alumni, former students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend. Willie H. Mallory, chairperson.
• Republican MEETING The Marshall Republican Club will meet, Sat., Sept. 19, 10 a.m. at the Marshall County Library in Holly Springs. The public is invited.
• Homecoming First Southern Baptist Church, Sept. 20. Guest speaker will be Tommy Shackelford. Lunch will be served after services.
• “Friendship Family Day” at the park. Friendship Assembly of God will hold all day services at Wall Doxey State Park with picnic dinner spread under the pavilions, horse shoes, volley ball, fishing, Frisbee golf, games and worship and praise under the beautiful blue sky as Pastor Virgil Scherff ministers. Want a church that ministers to the whole family? Check us out. Service time at 9 a.m.
• Ushers Day Bibleway Outreach on Hwy. 178 in Byhalia will be having their annual Ushers Day on September 20, 3 p.m. Our guest speaker will be Pastor Kenneth Artison from St. Matthew MB church in Byhalia. Come and be blessed. Pastor is Bishop Renzil Barringer.
• Usher day St. Mark MB Church, Sun., Sept. 20, 3 p.m. Special guest will be Rev. Tommie Watkins of New Haven Church in Collierville, Tenn. Sponsored by Bro. Curtis Collins and the Usher Ministry. Pastor, Patrick Bailey.
• Choir Day Taylor Chapel UMC Choir Day will be held. Pastor Keith Mason invites all.
• Time change Chewalla Baptist Church is changing the time of their Sunday night service. New time will be 5 p.m., beginning Sept. 20.
• Love Day Antioch MB Church, Pastor and Wife’s Love Day, honoring pastor and first lady Daniel, Sun., Sept. 20, 3 p.m. Pastor Jeffrey Daniel and White Hill MB Church will be guests.
• Revival Bibleway Outreach, Hwy. 178 in Byhalia, will be having a three-night revival beginning Wednesday, Sept. 23 through Friday, Sept. 25, 7:30 nightly. Guest speaker will be Bishop Farrow of Greensboro, NC. Come and be blessed. The pastor is Bishop Renzil Barringer.
• See You At The Pole. Gather at the flag pole of Friendship Christian Academy. Parents invited. James Overton, chapel director, 8:30 a.m.
• Meeting The Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club will meet at the Marshall County Library, 6 p.m. Everyone interested in becoming a member is invited to attend.
• Friday night Fight One-night revival at Kimbrough Chapel Church, with guest speaker Minister Marvin Lucas from Bell Grove Church.
• Class reunion Byhalia High School Reunion Class of ’58, ’59, and ’60 will be held at the home of Jarvis Farley Tipton, 106 Clark Street, Byhalia, 10:30 a.m. until. Barbecue and fixin’s 12:30 p.m. til. $10 donation per adult for food. Please call 662-895-3760 for more info. or mail to 106 Clark, Byhalia, MS 38611 and include how many adults and children will be attending along with payment.
• 5th Annual White Oak Pageant will be held for boys ages 0-4 and girls ages 0-21. Applications available at local schools or the Byhalia Chamber of Commerce. Deadline for entering September 19, 6 p.m.
• Singing Rice Chapel UMC will have a benefit singing and spaghetti dinner to raise funds for replacement of roof. Singing will begin at 3:30. Dinner will be served 5:30 to 7 p.m. for $8 per plate. The Kennedy Family will begin at 7 p.m. and close the benefit. All are welcome. Contact Brenda Prince if you would ike to participate, 901-827-0370.
• BAKE SALE hosted by Children’s Super Church of Friendship Assembly of God at Holly Springs Wal-Mart 9 a.m. Be sure to come out and help support the children of the community.
• Worship night Pleasant Grove MB Church will have “Night of Worship” honoring the pastor and his wife on their 44th anniversary, 6 p.m. The church is located at 228, S.A. Phillips Dr., Red Banks.
• Women’s Conference “Women Sharpeneth Women” Conference, True Vine MB Church, 525 West St., Saturday, Sept 26, 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Lunch will be served. Conference is free and will feature several speakers from local community. Overseer Tracey Crawley of Bartlett Tenn., will be special guest. Please plan to attend. Host pastor, Darrell E. Cunningham.
• Fall festival Jones Grove MB Church, 305 Old Hwy. 7 South, Holly Springs, Sat., Sept. 26, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Many guest groups; speaker will be Rev. Brenda McGaskill. Games, food, fun. Everyone is invited. For more info. call Pastor John Powell, 901-299-8032.
• Little Dribblers Potts Camp Little Dribblers, Sept. 26, Oct. 3 and 10, 10 a.m.-12 noon. Girls and boys welcome, $10 per Sat. Have fun, play games and learn the game of basketball. Come all three Saturdays and get a free T-shirt.
• Mushroom Lecture and hike will be held at Strawberry Plains Audubon Center, 285 Plans Road, Holly Springs, 1:30 p.m. For more info. visit website at www.strawberryplains.audubon.org or call 662-252-1155.
• Hispanic Bilingual Services Hosted by Friendship Assembly of God with Pastor Virgil Scherff ministering in the 10 a.m. morning service with interpreter Idaly Ortego. Powerful bilingual worship and praise by the Sanctuary Choir. Friendship Assembly is on the cutting edge of developing a dynamic Hispanic ministry that is spreading communitywide. We welcome you to each and every service.
• Promotion day Kimbrough Chapel Church, Sun., Sept. 27, 9 a.m.
• Back to church Sunday CrossPointe Christian Fellowship, 6400 Blocker Street, Olive Branch invites you to re-think church and be our guest on Back to Church Sunday, Sept. 27 at 10:30 a.m. You are invited to join us for a picnic fellowship after, with jumbo bounces for the kids and fun for all. Douglas Bell, pastor.
• Fall revival Mt. Pleasant UMC will have their fall revival, Sept. 27-30. Rev. Chris Cooksey will bring the message. Sunday night services begin at 5:30 and Monday and Tuesday services at 7 p.m. Wednesday night potluck at 6:30 p.m. with services afterwards.
• Revival, First Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant, Hwy. 311, First Baptist Church. Dr. Chuck Herring evangelist, Jerry Sowards, music director, Pat Harrison, guest pianist. Everyone welcome, nursery open. Sun., 6 p.m., Mon.-Wed., 7 p.m.
• Homecoming Macedonia Baptist Church will have its homecoming services beginning at 11 a.m. Special music will be given by “Cedar Creek.” Dinner on the grounds will be held. The church is located at 14910 Cathy Road in Byhalia. For more info. call John C. Jackson, 252-7518.
• Time change Chewalla Baptist Church has changed the time of their Sunday night service. New time is 5 p.m., beginning Sept. 20.
• Anniversary First anniversary celebration for the Hopkins Singers Family Choir, Sept. 26, 6 p.m. at Antioch MB Church in Victoria. Host pastor, Rev. Roger Daniel.
• spay/neuter CLinic The Marshall County Humane Society sponsored, low-cost spay/neuter clinic is open, 218 College St., Byhalia. Call 662-252-6196 for the necessary appointment.
• Baseball skills workshop, Holly Springs Park and Rec. department, ages 6-12, Sept. 28 and Oct. 1 at Sam Coopwood Park, 6 p.m. For more info. call 662-252-4807.
• JWSS Women’s Conference, Kimbrough Chapel Church, Oct. 2, 6:30 p.m.; Oct. 3, 9:30 a.m.
• Fall festival St. Mark MB Church, Sat., Oct. 3, 11 a.m. Food, fun and spirit-filled music. Please come and support this event. See Sis. Paula Byers, 662-551-1060 for more info. or call the church, 662-252-5656. Pastor, Rev. Patrick Bailey.
• Homecoming will be held at Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, 3993 Cayce Rd. Featured singers will be the Williams Family with dinner at 12 noon. Pastor Billy Watkins invites everyone.
• Little Dribblers Potts Camp Little Dribblers, Oct. 3 and 10, 10 a.m.-12 noon. Girls and boys welcome, $10 per Sat. Have fun, play games and learn the game of basketball. Come all three Saturdays and get a free T-shirt.
• Homecoming Piperton United Methodist Church, 785 Highway 57 East, Collierville, Tenn. is having their homecoming for the first time in a very long time. Regular morning worship service begin at 11 a.m., Bro. Roger Joseph officiating, and following morning service, our homecoming meal. Meal served will be barbecue, spaghetti, beans, slaw, salad and desert. “The Almost Famous Crains” will entertain beginning at 1:30, and also local talent from our church.
• Pastor’s anniversary The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have a pre-anniversary program for Pastor Curtis and Evangelist Richenda Pritchard, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Supvain Pritchard and the Garden of Grace COGIC of Memphis.
• Book signing Jennie’s Flowers and Gifts, Oct. 6, 5-7 p.m. Meet the authors of “Fearless Entertaining Flowers.” Call 662-252-4831 for more info.
• Singing Marianna Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 S, will have a special singing with featured singers “The McEwens.” Fellowship at 5 p.m. and singing at 6 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• Fall festival Gospel fall festival at Kimbrough Chapel Church, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Oct. 10.
• Benefit Yard sale Episcopal Parish House, for Friends of the Marshall County Library. Sat., Oct. 10, 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Little Dribblers Potts Camp Little Dribblers, Oct. 10, 10 a.m.-12 noon. Girls and boys welcome, $10 per Sat. Have fun, play games and learn the game of basketball. Come all three Saturdays and get a free T-shirt.
• Funfest ’09 Oct. 10, 12 noon-4 p.m. at Holy Family School, 395 N. West St. Food and fun for the entire family. For more info. call Clara Isom, 662-252-1612, or Sr. Ramona, 662-252-1612.
• Rally Day, Kimbrough Chapel Church, Oct. 18, 9 a.m.
• Youth Rally First Baptist Church, Potts Camp is hosting a youth rally October 23, 7 p.m. featuring Jeremy Horn.
• Fall Festival and flea market, October 24, 10 a.m. until, First Baptist Church, Potts Camp.
• Church anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church will celebrate their 114th anniversary Oct. 25.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting S O S Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy... 309 S Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy... 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page