Thursday, July 23, 2009
Close to Nowhere
Did you know?...
We have a new columnist for The South Reporter, Richard Simmons (no, not the exercise guy).
I really enjoy reading his column, especially the “Did You Know?” section. Quite often, no, I didn’t know that. And I am a trivia junkie!
I’ve actually had to Google quite a few of Simmons’ questions!
My oldest granddaughter has fixed me up though, with enough trivia to keep me satisfied for a while.
Last weekend I drove Mere, Grace, Remy and Emily to Heber Springs, Ark., where my niece Sister lives. Sister is Emily’s mother and she exhibited extraordinary bravery and all four girls are spending the week with her!
While driving, Mere was playing with my new toy, the iPhone. She’s as much a technie gadget nut as I am. She’s downloaded several neat things onto the phone, with the neatest and most recent being “Cool Facts.” I think it said there were over 10,000 (?) “cool facts” in this application.
Borrowing from our own Richard Simmons -- did you know that...
• all polar bears are left-handed?
• donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes?
• there are 92 known instances of nuclear bombs lost at sea?
• the population of the Earth has more than doubled since 1950?
• it’s possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs? (Who checks these things out? Do they have cow manure on their stair treads?)
• the first telephone book was only one page and only had 50 names in it? (In my combined family, I’d bet we have 50 phone numbers, counting work, fax and of course, cell phones.)
and last, but not least
• California has issued at least six drivers’ licenses to people named Jesus Christ. (How can the CHiP issue speeding tickets to Jesus Christ?)
- - - -
We’ve been “alone” in our house for a while now and Pop, Uncle Kris and I are not reacting as I expected we would.
I’ve gotten quite a bit of painting and unpacking done -- my dining room, except for the fact that you still can’t see the table and the chairs are still full of “stuff,” looks like a dining room! I have all my dishes unpacked and in the china cabinet, which looks “stunning” against the newly green (Wetlands) wall.
Pop is sleeping most of the time, getting better and better every day.
We’re very productive!
And we are very, very lonely!
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page