April 30, 2009
Calendar of Events
• SPAGHETTI SUPPER will be held at First United Methodist Church in Holly Springs, 4:30-7 p.m. Plates will be $8. Supper benefits Relay For Life.
• Blood drive 1-7 p.m., at Red Banks Baptist Church. Call Verna McAlexander for an appt., 662-252-2048.
• Musical revue presented by the Marshall Academy Patriot Performers -- Peace, Love and Broadway. Fri., May 1, Sat., May 2, in the gym, 7:30 nightly, small admission fee.
• Children of the community are invited to attend a pizza party and movie at the Victoria UMC fellowship hall, on May 1. Time is 7 to 8:30 p.m. We would like to see lots of children between the ages of 3 and 11 there.
• Benefit for Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church, 3993 Cayce Rd. (1/2 mile south of Goodman Rd.), Sat., May 2. Spaghetti plates will be sold, beginning at 12 noon. There will also be a raffle for a 450-pound black Angus heifer. Tickets ($1) may be purchased at the church. For more info. call 662-851-7509.
• Parade The Lessye Lee Davis Activity and Parade Committee is making preparations for the 2009 Lessye Lee Davis May Day Parade and activities. The parade is scheduled to take place at 11 a.m. in Holly Springs.
• Redeemed Fellowship Ministries will host a Pastor and Wife’s Anniversary Musical on Saturday, May 2, at 6 p.m. Choirs, male choruses, groups and soloists are invited to participate. The public is invited to attend. This will be the first anniversary celebration in the new location: 316-B Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Holly Springs (across from Citi Trends). Sis. Tamara Jeffries and Sis. Patricia Boga, sponsors. Elder Will A. Merriweather, host pastor. Evangelist Patricia LeSueur Merriweather, first lady.
• In Concert The Holloway Family, May 2, 7 p.m. with a fellowship meal, 5:30 p.m. at Chewalla Church. For more info. 662-837-1347, 662-837-2081.
• FISH FRY Bethel UMC (Benton County) will be having a yard sale and fish fry at the Abels Store Fire Department. Yard sale starts at 7 a.m., fish fry from 4 -7 p.m. Cost of fish plate is $8 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Plate consists of fish, fries, slaw, hushpuppies, dessert and drink. Abels Store Fire Department is located at the intersection of Hwy. 4 and Hwy. 5.
• CLASS MEETING The Holly Springs High School Class of 1980 will meet every first Saturday beginning May 2 at Hopewell No. 1, 1 p.m. It is important that all classmates attend to discuss class reunion in 2010. For more information call Betty Flemons, 662-551-8356 or Joan Lester, 662-551-6335.
• YOUTH RALLY Union Valley fourth annual Youth Praise Rally “Warriors for Christ”, will be held at Union Valley Church Park, 4 p.m. Youth guest speakers Min. Marcus Smith and Min. Johnteparis Tate of Memphis, Tenn. Refreshments.
• Singing Program at St. Paul CME Church, May 3, at 3 p.m., featuring the Golden Echoes of Tupelo. Local groups and choirs are invited to participate in this program. Rev. Tony Wilkins, pastor.
• Pastor and wife’s anniversary Providence MB Church, Sun., May 3, 2 p.m. Our guests will be speaker Pastor Ronnie Franklin and Everett Chapel Church.
• ANNUAL CHOIR DAY will be held at Pleasant Hill CME Church, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Willie Hoey, pastor, invites everyone to attend.
• REVIVAL Calvary Baptist Church, 178 Rising Star Road, will be held on May 3 at 6 p.m. and May 4-6 services at 7 p.m. with Dr. David Shackleford. Erik Fearing is worship leader. Everyone is welcome.
• ANNUAL CHOIR DAY will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church at 3 p.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites all.
• Family Week Services will be held at St. Paul C.M.E. Church on Monday through Wednesday, May 4-6, at 7 p.m. nightly. Guest speakers will include Rev. Tracy Jeffries of New Faith Outreach Ministries, Rev. Billy Williams of Adolphus Chapel CME Church, and others. The public is invited to attend. Rev. Tony Wilkins, pastor. Sponsored by the board of Christian education.
• Revival New Hope Baptist Church, Hwy. 72, Slayden, will be having a revival May 4-8 starting at 7 p.m. each night. Guest preacher will be Bro. Danny Smithey from Marianna Baptist Church. Fellowship supper after the Friday night service. Bro. Billy Adair and congregation invite everyone.
• Meeting The annual meeting of the Cayce Fire Department will be held at 7 p.m. at the Cayce Fire Station, 30 Lee Creek Road.
• Women’s Month Mt. Moriah MB Church, located at 3193 Marianna Road, will host their annual Women’s Month, May 2009. Each Sunday during the month of May a dynamic word of God will come forth. First Sunday the guest speaker will be Minister Sharon White, 11 a.m. On the fifth Sunday the Mt. Moriah Youth United for Christ will be in charge of the service to celebrate Youth Day.
• spay/neuter CLinic The Marshall County Humane Society sponsored, low-cost spay/neuter clinic is open, 218 College St., Byhalia. Call 662-252-6196 for the necessary appointment.
• ANNUAL SESSION HS-MC Baptist Association announces its 140th Annual Session on May 4-6, at 6:45 p.m. nightly at Finley Grove Baptist Church. Pastor Archie Bowen, moderator. Monday, May 4 will be youth night and Women’s Auxiliary president Annie Spight will give her annual address. Tuesday, May 5, the ushers will be in charge under the direction of Pastor James Green. Wednesday, May 6, Pastor Archie Bowen, moderator, will give his annual address. The public is encouraged to attend.
• Mother’s Day luncheon St. Mark MB Church, Sat., May 9, 1 p.m. Tickets on sale now. Call Sis. Paula Byers, 661-551-1060 for more info. or see any member. Pastor, Rev. Patrick Bailey.
• 161st anniversary Red Banks Baptist Church, May 17. Services begin Sunday morning at 10 a.m. with Sunday School. Morning worship follows at 11 a.m. Homecoming fellowship lunch will immediately follow in the Family Life Center. Nursery is provided for the morning service. Children’s church is available for children from 4-years-old through fourth grade. RBBC is located one mile north of U.S. 78 at exit 21.
• birthday appreciation program for Mother Lettie Moore, Community Temple Church, 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Pastor Terry Smith from Mt. Vernon, Rossville, Tenn. Dinner will be provided. Host pastor is Elder Frank Moore. For more info. call 901-497-6784.
• ANNUAL LADIES’ DAY The Ladies of Hernando Road Church of Christ would like to invite all ladies to their sixth annual Ladies Day. Regististration begins at 8:30 a.m.
• BOATING SAFETY CLASS 8 a.m. until, Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy. 7 N. Bring Social Security number. Contact District 2 office for more information and to register for class. This course is offered online at www.pucsafetyschool.com.
• WOMEN’S DAY will be held at Free Branch M.B. Church, 11 a.m. Pastor J.L. Tunstall invites everyone.
• ANNUAL MEN AND WOMEN’s Day Program will be held at Shady Grove CME Church, Hwy. 309 S at Marianna, 2:30 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Willie Ward and Isaac Chapel CME Church. Everyone is cordially invited. C. Booker is pastor.
• MUSIC FESTIVAL Camp Creek Gospel and Bluegrass Music Festival will be held May 29, 30, 31 at Lewisburg High School, 1755 Craft Road. Friday Night 6-9:30 p.m.; all day Saturday; worship service Sunday beginning at 11 a.m.
• Class reunion Ashland High School class of 1975 is planning a class reunion. Please contact Joyce Terry at 662-544-1214 or Mary Foster Wilkins at 901-240-1298 for more info.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Bible study Victoria Heights Baptist Church has Bible study, Tues. mornings, 10 a.m. and Wed. evenings, 6:30 p.m. for men, women and all visitors. The book of Exodus is being studied.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting S O S Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy... 309 S Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy... 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page