April 2, 2009
Calendar of Events
• Pizza Party The children of the community ages 3 – 10 are invited to attend a pizza and movie party at the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria. It starts at 7 p.m. and ends at 8:30. A time of fun for children.
• Fish fry Cayce Fire Department, 30 Lee Creek Road, will have a fish fry, 4:30 to 7 p.m. with Sheriff Kenny Dickerson and his crew cooking. Tea and dessert included. Tickets can be purchased from any member of the fire department or at A-1 Small Engines, Gossett Auto Parts and Carol’s Beauty Shop. For more information, call 851-7384 or 851-7634. Eat in or take out.
• Spirit Of Sobriety - Cedar Haven Baptist Church, 750 Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, will host a meeting for recovery at 6 p.m. Twelve steps to recovery is the purpose of these meetings. This will be an open speaker meeting with special guest, Deb McClough of Potts Camp. Anyone seeking recovery or any family member who has been affected is invited. Call Heather, 901-273-4675, or Mike, 901-827-8115.
• RUMMAGE SALE Watson VFD Rummage Sale Friday, April 3 and Saturday, April 4 from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. Go to the four-way stop at Watson. Go 1⁄2 mile down Watson Road on the right. Look for signs. Rain or shine.
• April Fool FUn Festival Potts Camp Park, April 4, 9 a.m. until. Food, games, music, entertainment. Sponsored by Mt. Olive Church. For more info. call Thelma Isom, 234-8172; Stella Taylor, 333-6856; or Jimmie Collins, 333-9153.
• Rainbow tea The stewardesses of St. Paul CME Church will sponsor a Rainbow Tea, 5 p.m., featuring area choirs. Sis. Wanda McNeil, president, is in charge. Rev. Tony Wilkins, pastor.
• Spring flea market Sat., April 4, at the ball field, 35 Lowry Rd. Sales start at 7 a.m. For more info. call Meredith at 731-926-6923. Sponsored by the Byhalia Sports Association.
• Passion Play First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, April 4, 7 p.m. and April 5, 10:30 a.m.
• Musician Love Day Smith Grove MB Church, Sat., April 4, 6 p.m. All are invited. Local groups and choirs are invited.
• Singing April 4, 6:30 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 N., Byhalia. Featuring The Barnetts from Stanton, Tenn. Wade Crum, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Prayer breakfast Rising Star MB Church, April 4, 9 a.m. with guest speaker Doris Williamson, True Vine MB Church, Holly Springs.
• Pastor and wife’s banquet Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 6:30 p.m. with Chris Williams and Mt. Sinai Church, Byhalia.
• Prayer breakfast, Christ New Beginning Church, 440 MLK Dr., Sat., April 4, 8 a.m. Pastor Arthur Fitzpatrick will be guest speaker. Rev. Harvey Garrison, host pastor.
• CEMETERY MEETING The Red Banks Cemetery Association will meet at 9 a.m. at the Red Banks Baptist Church.
• Yard sale The Holly Springs Presbyterian youth are sponsoring a yard sale on Market Street across from Greer & White Insurance this Saturday, April 4, beginning at 7 a.m.
• CLASS OF 1995 The Holly Springs High School Class of 1995 will be meeting at the Marshall County Library at 10 a.m. We would like to encourage all class members to attend. For more information you can contact Kim Mayfield at 662-252-6004.
• OUTREACH PROGRAM New Faith Outreach Ministries is hosting a Community Outreach program, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. behind the Multi-Purpose building in Holly Springs on the walking trail. For more information call 662-629-0360.
• GOSPEL SINGING Fellowship Baptist Church will have a gospel singing featuring The Barnetts from Stanton, Tenn., 6:30 p.m. The church is located on Hwy. 309. Wade Crum pastor invites all. For more info. or directions call Bruce Shaw, 662-838-2773 or Wade Crum, 901-825-7166.
• PRAYER BREAKFAST McIntyre M.B. Church will have their prayer breakfast, 8 a.m. Rev. Bruce Williams and Ark of Safety Ministry will be guests. The host pastor will be Rev. Robert W. Garrison. For more information call the church at 662-252-1661.
• Homecoming and Revival Chewalla Baptist Church, Sun., April 5, 11 a.m. with a fellowship meal following the service. Singing at 1:30 p.m. with The Barnetts. Mid-week revival is Tues., April 7 through Thurs., April 9, 7 p.m. nightly, with Bro. Randy Hope, pastor of First Baptist Church in Abbeville. Everyone is welcome.
• Special service Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church will have a special service, Sun., April 5, beginning at 6 p. m. with Carolyn Burnett as featured guest. Speaker will be Phillip Sparks of Middleton, Tenn. The church is located 1/2 mile south of Goodman Rd. on Cayce Rd.
• First Sunday night worship Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 7 p.m. with speaker Rev. Arlene Luellen.
• Revival Carey Chapel Baptist Church, April 5-8. Sun. services, 11 a.m., with pot luck lunch in the fellowship hall following the service; Sun. evening, 6 p.m. Mon.-Wed. services, 7 p.m. Child care offered during services for ages 0-4.
• MUSICAL Chewalla Assembly of God children will present a musical “The Cross Shop” at 11 a.m. Everyone is welcome.
• Meeting The Marshall County Water Association located at 512 Wingo Road, Byhalia, will have their annual members’ meeting at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to come.
• Ladies’ Ministry Meeting Watson Community Church, Hwy. 309, the first and third Monday of each month, 9 a.m. with Sister Michelle Jarrell teaching. Coffee fellowship after the meeting.
• Fish plates Isaac Chapel Church will serve fish plates at the church, along with a rummage sale.
• Family and Friends day Isaac Chapel Church, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Roger Daniel and Antioch Church will be our guests. Rev. Will Ward, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Golf tournament Annual Byhalia and Olive Branch Lions Club Golf Tournament will be held at Cherokee Valley Golf Club in Olive Branch, April 9. For more information call Phillip Woods, 662-838-6754; Jim Sanderlin, 901-493-1421; Jimmy Woods, 662-895-2996; or Kevin Medlin 662-895-5547.
• Passion play “By His Wounds, We Are Healed,” Slayden Baptist Church, April 10 and 11, 7 p.m. Church is located at 2534 Hwy. 72, Lamar. 252-4559; www.slaydenbaptistchurch.org.
• GOOD FRIDAY Services will be held at Barton United Methodist Church, 12 noon. The church is located on Byhalia Road.
• EASTER EGG HUNT The Holly Springs Parks and Recreation is having their annual Easter Egg Hunt at the Eddie L. Smith Jr. Multi-Purpose Building at 10 a.m. for ages 10 and under. The grand prize is $50. In case of rain, the egg hunt will be held inside. For more information call 662-252-4807.
• Fund-raiser Potts Camp FFA Alumni is selling Boston butts. They will sell for $25 each and will be picked up on April 11, between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Potts Camp School Agriculture building. For more info or to order call: Danny Mills- 333-7078, Edgar Wilkinson- 333-7931, Beth Overall – 333-4446, or other FFA alumni member. Thank you for all of your support.
• Easter Sunrise service, Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, April 12, 6 a.m.
• EASTER PLAY The community is invited to “The Bread and the Wine”, an Easter Play presented by CrossPointe Christian Fellowship, Easter Morning at 9 a.m. The church is located at 6400 Blocker Street in Olive Branch. Douglas Bell is pastor.
• MUSICAL Open Door Baptist Church presents an Easter musical “Because He Lives” at 11 a.m. in Potts Camp. The church is located on Old Hwy. 78 between Potts Camp and Hickory Flat. Dr. David Helmic Sr. is pastor. For questions you can call 662-333-7235 or 662-274-4994.
• ANNUAL FRIENDS The Silver Stars Annual Friends Night Program will be held at St. Mark M.B. Church on Hwy. 178 East in Holly Springs, 7 p.m. Pastor is Rev. Patrick Bailey and M.C. Sis. Catherine Jefferson. There will be lots of groups performing. Everyone is invited.
• Meeting The Marshall County Retired Education Personnel will meet April 17, 12 noon at the Beckley Center.
• Women’s Conference Smith Grove MB Church, April 17-18. Youth night April 17, 7 p.m. April 18 registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Guest speakers for both days. Small conference fee. For more info. call Darlean Dowdy, 252-5014, Kajavia Harmon, 801-0292.
• SPAGHETTI DINNER Barton Fire Dept. is hosting a spaghetti dinner, 5-9 p.m., at the station, located at 5135 Hwy. 302. Spaghetti and dessert, $7. Prizes will also be raffled. For more info. call Chief Culver, 662-812-1397.
• Rededication The Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria will hold a rededication service of the fellowship hall and parsonage. Service will be at 11a.m. with lunch to follow. Please join us in this celebration.
• Annual Usher Day Program will be held at St. Paul CME Church, 11 a.m. Sis. Brenda Falkner, president.
• Pastor and wife’s anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 3 p.m. with guest speaker Rev. Arthur Fitzpatrick.
• Revival will be held at Meadowbrook Baptist Church, 3115 Old Pigeon Roost Road, April 19-22. Sunday morning service with Bro. Wade Spellman, director of missions, Northwest Baptist Association; Sunday through Wednesday, Bro. James Lewis, pastor of DeSoto Hills Baptist Church. Sunday 6 p.m.; and Monday-Wednesday, 7 p.m. Bro. Oscar Geeslin is pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Spring revival Rising Star MB Church, April 22-24, 7 p.m. Guest speaker, Pastor Melvin Buford, Mt. Salem MB Church, Hickory Valley, Tenn.
• Men and women’s day program St. Mark MB Church, Sun., April 26, 3 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Robert McClain. His choir will render music. Rev. Patrick Bailey, pastor.
• State drive Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., April 26, 11 a.m. Pastor McAuthur King and Jeffrie Chapel Church will be guests.
• Super Sunday April 26, 2-4 p.m., Rev. Ronnie Franklin; 4-6 p.m. Rev. Mark Davis; and 6-7:30 p.m., Rev. Melvin Bufford. Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 6:30 p.m.
• SPAGHETTI SUPPER will be held at First United Methodist Church in Holly Springs, 4:30-7 p.m. Plates will be $8. Supper benefits Relay For Life.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Bible study Victoria Heights Baptist Church has Bible study, Tues. mornings, 10 a.m. and Wed. evenings, 6:30 p.m. for men, women and all visitors. The book of Exodus is being studied.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting S O S Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy... 309 S Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy... 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at email@example.com or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page