March 26, 2009
Calendar of Events
• 66 Books of the Bible Christ New Beginning Church, 440 MLK Dr., pastored by Harvey L. Garrison. Tues., March 24-Fri., March 27, 6 p.m. nightly.
• Intermediate Idol Holly Springs Intermediate School, Thurs., March 26, 5:30 p.m. in the HSI gym. Fee, $1 with 2 canned goods, $2 without. Sponsored by Sixth Grade Best Friends/Best Men.
• Friday night fight, Kimbrough Baptist Church, 7 p.m. The public is invited. Pastor, J.W. Smith Jr. Guest speaker, Rev. Terry Webb and T-N-T Youth Ministry of Concern, Memphis, Tenn. The public is invited.
• Fish fry Fri., March 27, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Dine in or take out. St. Joseph Catholic Church, 305 E. Van Dorn, Holly Springs
• MSCHIP event Byhalia Lodge #115 will host a MSCHIP event, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 1859 French Road. Parents or legal guardian must accompany child. For more info. call Charles Davis, 662-838-6839.
• Benefit Pleasant Grove MB Church, located in Red Banks, under the leadership of Pastor S.A. Phillips, is sponsoring a benefit program for James and Annette Lucas, 6 p.m. Everyone is invited.
• Wild Game Dinner hosted by the Men’s Ministry, Friendship Assembly of God, 7 p.m. Adults, $10 per plate, children 12 and under $5 per plate. Call in orders available, 662-838-4000. Your choice of several different kinds of wild game.
• Singing, Rice Chapel United Methodist Church, March 28, fellowship at 6 p.m., singing at 7 p.m. with the Carey Chapel Boys. Everyone is invited. Pastor, Walter Myers.
• Seminar Success for Life seminar, Mt. Moriah MB Church, 3193 Marianna Rd., Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson, pastor. Sat., March 28, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Health, education, entrepreneurship, prosperity and investments will be topics.
• Fish fry Sat., March 28, First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, 5 p.m.
• Stew supper, Slayden, Mt. Pleasant, Early Grove Fire Department fire station, 194 Mt. Pleasant Rd., March 28, 5-8 p.m. Stew, crackers or cornbread, tea and dessert. Stew will also be sold by the gallon. Bring your own gallon container. Come support your fire dept.!
• Meeting Marshall County Genealogical Society, March 28, 10 a.m. in the meeting room at the Marshall County Library.
• Debutante Cotillion March 28, Asbury United Methodist Church, 6 p.m., sponsored by the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Upsilon Chapter. The debs are seniors from area high schools who have participated in workshops and etiquette classes. Everyone is invited to help welcome these young ladies into society.
• “Youth Infusion” Hangout for Jesus invites everyone to this awesome gathering with live worship, human video drama and the word of God, March 28, 6 p.m. at Hickory Flat, across from the Post Office. 662-507-9151.
• Singing Fourth Sat. night singing at Evangel Full Gospel Assembly will begin at 7 p.m., March 28. Featured guests will be local singers and congregational singing. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Yarbrough Chapel Church is sponsoring a basketball game at Galena School gym beginning at 9:30 a.m. Entry fee $50 per team. Contact Robert Pool 662-564-2486 or Oliver Finley Jr. at 662-252-6607. Refreshments will be sold. Admission $3.
• Women’s Month Christ Temple COGIC is celebrating women’s month in March, with a special speaker each Friday night at 7:30 p.m. On March 29, the month will climax at 3 p.m. Church is located at 210 W. Park St., Holly Springs.
• Men’s Day program The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will have its annual Men’s Day program, Sun., March 29, 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Eugene Anderson and Brooks Chapel COGIC of Moscow, Tenn. Everyone is invited. Pastor is Elder Curtis Pritchard.
• First sermon Minister Larry Isaac Martin will preach his first sermon, Sun., March 29, 4 p.m. at Free Branch MB Church. Pastor Tunstall and members invite all.
• Homecoming Red Banks United Methodist Church homecoming will be held. Good singing, preaching and lots of food. Everyone is welcome.
• “Building Together,” Fifth Sunday kick-off services. Mt. Moriah Baptist Church, 2641 Laws Hill Rd. Worship 11 a.m., followed by fellowship dinner at 12:15 and mini-concert with Megan Tate at 1:30 p.m. Love offering will be taken. Bro. Larry West, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Revival Holly Hill Baptist Church, April 1-5, 7 p.m., Wed. though Sat., 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Evangelist Bobby McGilliard and his team will be guests. Lunch at noon on Sunday. Pastor Frank Feathers and members invite everyone.
• Youth choir day Union Valley MB Church family and pastor Joe L. Richmond invite everyone to Youth Choir Day, March 29, 2 p.m. Other churches are asked to come and bring an A&B selection.
• Revival Bethany Baptist Church, Potts Camp, will have revival, March 29-April 1. Sun., 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mon.-Wed., 7 p.m. Douglas Rakestraw, speaker; Bobby Greer, music.
• Gospel meeting Laws Hill Church of Christ, Sun., March 29-Wed., April 1, Sun., 10 a.m. Bible study, 11 a.m. worship; Sun. night through Wed., 7:30 p.m. nightly. Preacher will be Johnny Richardson of Russellville, Ala.
• Child abuse prevention ceremony Blue ribbons will be hung at the Holly Springs Chamber office and 275 balloons released at 8:30 a.m. on Wed., April 1, to commemorate the number of child abuse investigations here. A special ceremony will be held remembering the one death caused by child abuse. Sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, MDHS, Division of Youth Services and Family and Children’s Services.
• Pizza Party The children of the community ages 3 – 10 are invited to attend a pizza and movie party at the Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria. It starts at 7 p.m. and ends at 8:30. A time of fun for children.
• Fish fry Cayce Fire Department, 30 Lee Creek Road, will have a fish fry, 4:30 to 7 p.m. with Sheriff Kenny Dickerson and his crew cooking. Tea and dessert included. Tickets can be purchased from any member of the fire department or at A-1 Small Engines, Gossett Auto Parts and Carol’s Beauty Shop. For more information, call 851-7384 or 851-7634. Eat in or take out.
• April Fool FUn Festival Potts Camp Park, April 4, 9 a.m. until. Food, games, music, entertainment. Sponsored by Mt. Olive Church. For more info. call Thelma Isom, 234-8172; Stella Taylor, 333-6856; or Jimmie Collins, 333-9153.
• Rainbow tea The stewardesses of St. Paul CME Church will sponsor a Rainbow Tea, 5 p.m., featuring area choirs. Sis. Wanda McNeil, president, is in charge. Rev. Tony Wilkins, pastor.
• Spring flea market Sat., April 4, at the ball field, 35 Lowry Rd. Sales start at 7 a.m. For more info. call Meredith at 731-926-6923. Sponsored by the Byhalia Sports Association.
• Passion Play First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, April 4, 7 p.m. and April 5, 10:30 a.m.
• Musician’S Love Day Smith Grove MB Church, Sat., April 4, 6 p.m. All are invited. Local groups and choirs are invited.
• Singing April 4, 6:30 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church, Hwy. 309 N., Byhalia. Featuring The Barnetts from Stanton, Tenn. Wade Crum, pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Prayer breakfast Rising Star MB Church, April 4, 9 a.m. with guest speaker Doris Williamson, True Vine MB Church, Holly Springs.
• Pastor and wife’s banquet Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 6:30 p.m. with Chris Williams and Mt. Sinai Church, Byhalia.
• Prayer breakfast, Christ New Beginning Church, 440 MLK Dr., Sat., April 4, 8 a.m. Pastor Arthur Fitzpatrick will be guest speaker. Rev. Harvey Garrison, host pastor.
• Homecoming and Revival Chewalla Baptist Church, Sun., April 5, 11 a.m. with a fellowship meal following the service. Singing at 1:30 p.m. with The Barnetts. Mid-week revival is Tues., April 7 through Thurs., April 9, 7 p.m. nightly, with Bro. Randy Hope, pastor of First Baptist Church in Abbeville. Everyone is welcome.
• Special service Mt. Calvary Pentecostal Church will have a special service, Sun., April 5, beginning at 6 p. m. with Carolyn Burnett as featured guest. Speaker will be Phillip Sparks of Middleton, Tenn. The church is located a half mile south of Goodman Rd. on Cayce Rd.
• First Sunday night worship Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 7 p.m. with speaker Rev. Arlene Luellen.
• Revival Carey Chapel Baptist Church, April 5-8. Sun. services, 11 a.m., with potluck lunch in the fellowship hall following the service; Sun. evening, 6 p.m. Mon.-Wed. services, 7 p.m. Childcare offered during services for ages 0-4.
• Meeting The Marshall County Water Association located at 512 Wingo Road, Byhalia, will have their annual members’ meeting at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to come.
• Ladies’ Ministry Meeting Watson Community Church, Hwy. 309, the first and third Monday of each month, 9 a.m. with Sister Michelle Jarrell teaching. Coffee fellowship will be held after the meeting.
• Fish plates Isaac Chapel Church will serve fish plates at the church, along with a rummage sale.
• Family and Friends day Isaac Chapel Church, 2:30 p.m. Rev. Roger Daniel and Antioch Church will be our guests. Rev. Will Ward, pastor. Everyone is invited.
Saturday,April 18th, 2009- Pilgrimage Walk/Run,. $15 before April 1st and $20 after. contact Nancy Jones,email@example.com, 662-252-7293 or 662-291-7293.
• Golf tournament Annual Byhalia and Olive Branch Lions Club Golf Tournament will be held at Cherokee Valley Golf Club in Olive Branch, April 9. For more information call Phillip Woods, 662-838-6754; Jim Sanderlin, 901-493-1421; Jimmy Woods, 662-895-2996; or Kevin Medlin 662-895-5547.
• Passion play “By His Wounds, We Are Healed,” Slayden Baptist Church, April 10 and 11, 7 p.m. Church is located at 2534 Hwy. 72, Lamar. 252-4559; www.slaydenbaptistchurch.org.
• Fund-raiser Potts Camp FFA Alumni is selling Boston butts. They will sell for $25 each and will be picked up on April 11, between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Potts Camp School Agriculture building. For more info or to order call: Danny Mills- 333-7078, Edgar Wilkinson- 333-7931, Beth Overall – 333-4446, or other FFA alumni member. Thank you for all of your support.
• Easter Sunrise service, Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, April 12, 6 a.m.
• Meeting The Marshall County Retired Education Personnel will meet April 17, 12 noon at the Beckley Center.
• Women’s Conference Smith Grove MB Church, April 17-18. Youth night April 17, 7 p.m. April 18 registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Guest speakers for both days. Small conference fee. For more info. call Darlean Dowdy, 252-5014, Kajavia Harmon, 801-0292.
• Rededication The Victoria United Methodist Church, Victoria will hold a rededication service of the fellowship hall and parsonage. Service will be at 11a.m. with lunch to follow. Please join us in this celebration.
• Annual Usher Day Program will be held at St. Paul CME Church, 11 a.m. Sis. Brenda Falkner, president.
• Pastor and wife’s anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 3 p.m. with guest speaker Rev. Arthur Fitzpatrick.
• Spring revival Rising Star MB Church, April 22-24, 7 p.m. Guest speaker, Pastor Melvin Buford, Mt. Salem MB Church, Hickory Valley, Tenn.
• Men and women’s day program St. Mark MB Church, Sun., April 26, 3 p.m. Guest speaker will be Rev. Robert McClain. His choir will render music. Rev. Patrick Bailey, pastor.
• State drive Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., April 26, 11 a.m. Pastor McAuthur King and Jeffrie Chapel Church will be guests.
• Super Sunday April 26, 2-4 p.m., Rev. Ronnie Franklin; 4-6 p.m. Rev. Mark Davis; and 6-7:30 p.m., Rev. Melvin Bufford. Kimbrough Chapel Church, Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, 6:30 p.m.
• Marriage counseling class Christ New Beginning Church, 440 Martin Luther King Dr., Holly Springs, will have a marriage counseling class each Wed., 6-7 p.m. beginning Feb. 4. Married, single, divorced or widowed are welcomed. For more info. call Rev. Harvey Garrison, pastor, 662-252-3813.
• Bible study Victoria Heights Baptist Church has Bible study, Tues. mornings, 10 a.m. and Wed. evenings, 6:30 p.m. for men, women and all visitors. The book of Exodus is being studied.
• Senior Theatre Club The FW Coleman Theatre Club for senior adults meets 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at 3877 Cayce Road in Cayce. For info. call 662-838-2551. For performances or guest appearances call 314-383-7410 or 662-383-2551. The meetings are open to the public. Bring your Bible for the study session, a pen, a pencil, and personal readings or songs to perform.
• Grief Share Ministry each Monday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Hernando Presbyterian Church, 2070 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando. Pastor is Steve Woods, 662-449-0120. For more information call Bill Morris, 901-378-8979.
• Recovery Meeting S O S Christian Recovery Ministries will host a group meeting Friday evenings at 6 p.m. The group’s primary focus is drug addiction, alcoholism and the affected families. There will be a group for family members to learn how to cope and heal from the destructive behavior of an addict or an alcoholic in the family. The meeting place is Cedar Haven Baptist Church at 750 Hwy... 309 S Byhalia, exit 14 off Hwy... 78, 4-lane, south and is the first building on your right! Call Mike at 901-827-8115 for more info.
• 3-D (Diet, Discipline & Discipleship), Christ-Centered Weight Loss Group will meet Tuesday nights at Victoria Heights Baptist Church. Weigh-in 5:30-6, meeting 6-7 p.m. For info. call Marion Pryor, 662-274-4893.
• MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS: An illness, not an addition. If you are a victim of this masquerading illness and need support contact Bill and Janice Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-268-1631 or 901-487-1355 - support group being formed.
• Clear Creek Baptist Church is accepting donations for the cemetery fund. All monies donated will go to maintain the cemetery. If you have loved ones buried here or know someone who does, why not make a donation in their memory? Clear Creek Baptist Church, 1704 Clear Creek Rd., Lamar, MS 38642. Contact James Skelton, 662-252-5155.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page