• Hawks bring home district crown again
By BARRY BURLESON
Photo by Barry Burleson
|Holly High track|
front, from left, are Tamekia Malone, Jerlisa Langston, Kierra
Mayfield, Shalisia McClellan, Jasmaine Stewart, Jaquisha Todd, China
Pool, Lauren Blackmon, Brittany Govan, Cordelia Smith; second row,
Christian Rayford, Clifford Brown, Justin Hampton, William Jones, Dean
Bridgeforth, Jamaris Isom, Sam Hawkins; third row, Lazerrio Todd,
Kervin Daugherty, Brandon Thomas, Demetri Oliver, Emanuel Coleman,
David Bowens, David Bridges; back row, Tyrone Miller, Jermille Burke,
Sam Jones, Bobby Barksdale, Naytwon Holloway, Chris Scales, Darryl
Kinkle, Cornelius Jenkins. Boys coach is Clifford Brown. Girls coach is
District track championships are becoming commonplace for the Holly Springs High School Hawks.
won their third straight last week at Charleston and it was no contest.
Holly High outdistanced its closest competitor by 142 points – scoring
208 to North Panola’s 66. Byhalia was third with 55.
“We ran away with it,” said a happy head coach, Clifford Brown. “The kids are running well.”
Individual results from the varsity boys meet follow.
- 100 Meter Dash - second, Clifford Brown, 10.71; fourth, Emanuel Coleman, 10.84.
- 200 Meter Dash - second, Datron Johnson, 23.33; third, Clifford Brown, 23.36.
- 400 Meter Dash - first, Darryl Kinkle, 52.82; second, Demetri Oliver, 54.46.
- 800 Meter Run - first, Naytwon Holloway, 2:10.00; fifth, William Jones, 2:20.00.
- 1600 Meter Run - first, Dean Bridgeforth, 5:13.03; second, Naytwon Holloway, 5:13.17.
- 3200 Meter Run - first, Naytwon Holloway, 11:56.00; third, Dean Bridgeforth, 12:18.00.
- 110 Meter Hurdles - first, Emanuel Coleman, 16.57; third, Christian Rayford, 19.08.
- 300 Meter Hurdles - second, Emanuel Coleman, 43.78; third, Christian Rayford, 45.95.
- 4x100 Meter Relay - first, Clifford Brown, Datron Johnson, Darryl Kinkle, Demetri Oliver, 43.12.
- 4x200 Meter Relay - first, Clifford Brown, Datron Johnson, Darryl Kinkle, Demetri Oliver, 1:32.36.
- 4x400 Meter Relay - first, Darius Dowdy, William Jones, Darryl Kinkle, Demetri Oliver, 3:43.00.
- High Jump - first, Dean Bridgeforth, 5-04.
- Long Jump - fifth, Datron Johnson, 17-09; Emanuel Coleman, 17-00.25.
- Triple Jump - second, Brandon Thomas, 40-04.
- Shot Put - first, Bobby Barksdale, 43-11.50; second, Sam Jones, 40-03.
- Discus - first, Jermille Burke, 112-00; second, Bobby Barksdale, 105-02.
- Kiera Mayfield ran her way to three first-place finishes in the girls district event.
- “She’s running super well, and she’s just a 10th grader,” Coach Brown said.
- 100 Meter Dash - first, Kiera Mayfield, 12.46.
- 200 Meter Dash - first, Kiera Mayfield, 26.65;
- 400 Meter Dash - first, Kiera Mayfield, 1:02.91.
- 800 Meter Run - sixth, Jaquisha Todd, 3:20; eighth, Tameka Malone, 3:32.
- 1600 Meter Run - fourth, Tameka Malone, 7:05; seventh, Lauren Blackmon, 8:42.
- 3200 Meter Run - sixth, Shalisia McClellan, 20:07.
- 100 Meter Hurdles - sixth, Jasmine Stewart, 20.30.
- 300 Meter Hurdles - fifth, Cordelia Smith, 57.34.
- 4x100 Meter Relay - fourth, Tameka Malone, Kiera Mayfield, China Pool, Shakyna Pool, 56.60.
- 4x200 Meter Relay - fifth, Lauren Blackmon, Brittany Govan, Sharicka Jones, Tameka Malone, 2:23.50.
- Long Jump - eighth, Mya Wells, 7-11.
- Triple Jump - fourth, China Pool, 26-01; sixth, Cordelia Smith, 23-01.
- Discus - seventh, Jerlisa Langston, 45-09.75; eighth, Kimberly Malone, 45-00.50.
Regional April 26
up is the Regional Meet this Saturday, April 26, also at Charleston.
The top four finishers from each event in the district meet advance to
“Our numbers are up (participants
in the regional), and our goal is to run better and make a better
showing,” Coach Brown said. “We’re looking forward to it.”