Thursday, April 17, 2008
Church open for Pilgrimage
By SUE WATSON
After three years of restoration work begun in 2005 by the Town and Country Garden Club, the 1837 Sabbath School Church will be open for Pilgrimage, according to Jean Ann Jones with the club.
The building was built in 1837, following organization of the first Presbyterian church in Holly Springs in 1836. That first year pioneer settlers erected a pole mud cabin for church services.
The building has served many purposes since construction as a church, including most recently the housing the offices of the Holly Springs Chamber of Commerce and use as a private home.
The structure, owned by the City of Holly Springs, was leased to the Town and Garden Club as a restoration project in 2005. With the inside restored but not yet furnished, the building will be used as a meeting place for the club and other special activities.
The church is located on South Memphis Street next door to City Hall and the historic First Presbyterian Church in downtown Holly Springs.
Current officers of the club include Gloria Baker, president; Clara Jordan, president-elect; Martha Thomas, treasurer; Diane Wage, recording secretary; and Donna Woods, corresponding secretary.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page