April 17, 2008
Calendar of Events
• Quick Bites program will be held at the Marshall Co. Extension Office on Thursday, April 17 at noon on “What’s in your Refrigerator?” by Dr. Jason Brehrends, assistant Extension/research professor, Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Education, MSU. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Senior meeting H.W. Byers High School is hosting a meeting Thurs., April 17 for the parents and students of the Class of 2009 (this year’s junior class), at 6 p.m. in the school’s library. Call Linda Spaulding, counselor, for details at 662-851-7826.
• Rally for children’s education Sam Coopwood Park, Thurs. April 17, 5:30-7:30 p.m. (In case of inclement weather it will be held in the high school gym.) Free to everyone who wants to come. Refreshments served and sold. Out of uniform passes for students whose parents attend the entire rally. For more info. contact your child’s school.
• Women’s Conference Smith Grove MB Church, April 18-19, Several outstanding speakers. For more info. call Sis. Easter Pigues, 662-895-8962 or Sis. Willie Stewart, 662-252-1303.
• Women’s conference, First Baptist Church, Potts Camp, April 18-19. Call 333-7491 to register.
• Singing program Silver Stars, Sat., April 19, 5 p.m. at Free Branch MB Church, pastor A.V. Warren Jr. The community is cordially invited.
• Rummage sale Mt. Gillian Ministries Youth Department will have a rummage sale, 7 a.m., at Regions Bank in Olive Branch. Marvin D. Brooks is pastor. For more details call 901-859-4191.
• Singing, Sat., April 19, Clear Creek Baptist Church, with Picking Up The Pieces. Fellowship at 6 p.m, singing follows.
• Program The Apostolic Church of Jesus Youth Group, 178 Stonewall Road, Byhalia, will present “Three Tombstones On A Hill,” at 7:30 p.m. For more information call 662-838-8110.
• Meeting The Marshall County Republicans monthly meeting will be held at Rico’s Mexican Restaurant, Hwy. 178 in Byhalia, 10 a.m. The public is invited.
• Pancake breakfast The Marshall County Humane Society will have its annual Pancake Breakfast from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. at the VFW in Holly Springs. Tickets are $5 each for all-you-can-eat pancakes and sausage with all the fixings. Proceeds will be used toward re-opening the Spay/Neuter Clinic.
• Pastor and Wife’s Pre-Anniversary program will be held at Mt. Gillian Ministries, 219 Valley View Drive, Victoria, 3 p.m. Pastor Corey Boyce and the Mt. Pleasant Church family from Jackson, Tenn., will be our special guests. Marvin D. Brooks is pastor.
• Pastor and wife’s anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr., pastor. Rev. Mark Bryson and New Liberty Institute Church will be guests. Time, 11 a.m. At 3 p.m. pastor and wife’s anniversary, Rev. Patrick Lewis and St. Matthew Baptist Church in Memphis, Tenn., as guests.
• Reunion Holly Springs High School’s Class of 1998 will be having a reunion planning meeting on Sunday, April 20 at 5 p.m. at Pizza Hut.
• Men’s Day Free Branch Church, Sun., April 20, 11 a.m. Pastor Danny Kimbrough and Hopewell #2 will be guests.
• State drive Harris Chapel MB Church, Benton County, will have their annual State Drive program, April 20, 2:30 p.m. Rev. L.G. Bogard, guest speaker. Everyone is invited. Rev. Dewitt Glover is the pastor.
• SInging Union West Holly Springs Singing Union will hold its fourth annual singing at Yarbrough Chapel C.M.E. Church, located at 2997 Old Hwy. 4 West, 3 p.m. Rev. Van Rayford is president; secretary is Helen Woods Newsom.
• Revival Mt. Moriah MB Church, “revival in the midst of troubled times.” Join the associate ministers of Mt. Moriah, under the leadership of Rev. Dr. R.J. Wilson. Sun., April 20, 8 a.m., early worship service and Thurs., April 24, 7 p.m., for evening worship.
• Men’s day Sunday, April 20, 11 a.m. at Free Branch MB Church, pastored by Rev. A.V. Warren Jr. Pastor Danny Kimbrough and Hopewell No. 2 Church family will be guests.
• Revival Temperance Hill Baptist Church, Potts Camp, April 20-23, 7 p.m. nightly. Bro. Marvin Cox will bring the message. Bro. Ken Cooper and congregation invite everyone.
• Meeting Holly Springs Band Booster Club meeting, 5 p.m. in the band hall. All parents are asked to attend.
• Revival Rising Star MB Church, April 23-25, 7 p.m. nightly. Special guest is Pastor Ronnie Strong of Coldwater. Pastor, Robert McClain, 2519 Higdon Rd.
• Quick Bites program “Evaluation, Selection and Use of Meats” by Dr. Mike Martin, assistant professor, Animal and Dairy Sciences and Food Science Nutrition and Health Promotion, MSU, will be held at the Marshall Co. Extension Office, Thursday, April 24 at noon. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Game show Everyone is invited to the Holly Springs Primary gym, April 24, 5:15, to see the gifted fifth grade class presentation of “Are you smarter than a fifth grader?”
• Hoops for Heart Holly Springs Intermediate School is sponsoring Hoops for Heart and Jump Rope for Heart for the American Heart Association, April 24-25, all day event, in the gym. The community is asked to participate. James Green, coordinator.
• Revival, Victoria Heights Baptist Church, April 26-until. Evangelist will be Bro. David Paul of Phoenix, Ariz., Sun. morning worship, 11 a.m., Sun. night service, 5 p.m. and weeknights at 6:30 p.m. Pastor Bro. Billy Campbell and congregation welcomes everyone to attend.
• Singing Rice Chapel Methodist Church hosts singing with the Kennedys. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m., singing at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited. Rev. Walter Myers is pastor.
• Pastor and Wife’s Anniversary will be held at Mt. Gillian Ministries, 219 Valley View Drive, Victoria, 3 p.m. Pastor Shelton Rubin and the New Jeremiah Church family from Memphis, Tenn., will be the guests. Marvin D. Brooks is pastor.
• Super Sunday at Kimbrough Chapel Church, all day with three speakers and three guest churches. Begins at 2 p.m.
• MEn’s Day Sun., April 27, 9 a.m. in morning worship at Free Branch MB Church. Pastor, A.V. Warren Jr.
• Usher Day Rising Star MB Church, April 27, 3 p.m. Pastor Robert McClain, 2519 Higdon Rd.
• Evening of Praise and Baby Contest will be held at Isaac Chapel, Hwy. 309 S, Byhalia, 2:30 p.m. Choirs and solo singers are invited. Pastor Rev. Willie Ward invites everyone.
• Revival Jones Grove MB Church, 305 Old Hwy. 7 South. April 28-May 2, 7 p.m. nightly. Evangelist will be Rev. LeeMar Boyd, pastor of New Zion MB Church. Lecturer, Pastor John Powell, John 3:16.
• Men and Women’s Conference, Mt. Gilliam Ministers, Bishop Marvin Brooks, 219 Valley Dr., Byhalia. Guest speaker will be Prophetess Annette Dukes, co-pastor of Life Changing Ministries of Deliverance, Inc., Dallas, Tx. Services May 1-3, 7 p.m. nightly. Come and bring a friend.
• Annual fish fry and bake sale The Holly Springs Federated Improvement Club, Inc. will hold their annual fish fry and bake sale, May 2-3, on the square, all day.
• May Day Parade Lessye L. Davis May Day parade, Sat., May 3, beginning at 11 a.m. on the old MI College campus. For more info. call Obera Muse Jones, 662-252-3232.
• Love day Community Temple Holiness hosts Love Appreciation Day for Mother Lettie Moore, 6 p.m. A love program and great meal will be held. Host pastor is Frank Moore, 851-3388.
• REunion The A.J. and Edna Collier Smith family reunion will be held Saturday, May 3 at the Wall Doxey State Park lodge.
• Meeting The Nurse Angels of Marshall County will host a meeting and luncheon at JB’s Restaurant, on the square in Holly Springs after the parade. For more info. call Annie Reid, 252-5364.
• May Day Gospel Explosion will be held at Eddie L. Smith Multi-Purpose Building, 235 North Memphis Street, Holly Springs, 6:00 p.m. Master of ceremony will be Bro. Charles Anthony. Guest groups will be Divine Voice Community Choir, The Moment of Joy, The Southern Harmonizers, The Stars of Faith, Sister Jennifer Jones, The Bell Singers, The Anointed Spiritualettes, and The Jackson Southernaires.
• Women’s month at Mt. Moriah MB Church in May. Each Sunday a different, dynamic woman of God will bring the message. For more info. call the church at 662-564-3595.
• Friends’ Night musical, with the Twilight Singers, Sun., May 18, 6:30 p.m., at the Baptist Seminary, Cuba St. Tickets available at the door. Many groups on program. Everyone is invited to come and take part.
• Harvest Time at Apostolic Church invites you to Olive Branch Park for good music, food, and gospel singing, noon until.
• Decoration Day/Reunion of the Red Banks Cemetery will be held at 9 a.m. Families with a Red Banks or cemetery connection are to bring a covered dish, supplies for cleaning and repairing gravesites. For more information, e-mail: email@example.com
• Homecoming Rising Star MB Church, Pastor Robert McClain, 2519 Higdon Rd., 11 a.m.
• Reunion The Byhalia High School classes of 1976, 1978 and 1979 are having a combined class reunion on July 4-6, 2008. The events will be held at the Byhalia High School gym. The cost for the reunion is $50 per individual, $75 per couple. For more info. please contact Gloria Jean Malone at 901-491-2440 or James Jones at 901-216-2545.
• ATTENTION: Byhalia High School Classes 1977, 1978 and 1979 will have a combined class reunion on July 4-6. For more information, please contact: Class of 1977 - Gloria Malone, 901-491-2440; Class of 1978 - Lola Thomas, 662-401-1960; Class of 1979 - Juanita (Phillips) Smith, 662-838-3509.
• Time change Free Branch MB Church, Pastor A.V. Warren Jr., announces morning worship hour changes: first and third Sundays, 11 a.m., Sunday School 9:45 a.m.; second, fourth and fifth Sundays, 9 a.m., Sunday School the Wed. before those Sundays at 6 p.m., prior to Bible study. Bible study, Wed., 6 p.m.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, classes of 1980, ’81, ’82 and ’83 are planning a reunion. Please call Paula Wheeler-Davis, 838-7194, firstname.lastname@example.org; Vivian Rogers-Gulledge, 901-870-1210; Ruby Shaw Blackmon, 838-6996 or Martha Jones Rogers, 901-361-8480, for more details.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• RECOVERY PROGRAM The Most Excellent Way, a Bible-based Scriptural recovery program for all types of addictions. Women’s and co-dependent meetings every Tues., 7 p.m. Men’s group meeting every Thurs., 7 p.m. Meetings are at Longview Heights Baptist Church, 4501 Goodman Rd., Olive Branch. Contact Mary or Mike, 662-893-3912.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page