March 27, 2008
Calendar of Events
• Title 1 meeting Holly Springs Jr. High School, Wed. March 26, 5 p.m. at the Jr. High School, 325 E. Falconer. Everyone is encouraged to attend. For more info., please call the school office at 252-7737.
• Women’s Month closing celebrating Ida B. Wells-Barnett Museum, Thurs., March 27, 10 a.m. Films on Ida B. Wells and Sojourner Truth. Visiting special guests will be Freeport High School from Freeport, Ill. For more info. call 662-252-3232.
• Friday night fight night, Kimbrough Chapel Church, with guest speaker Rev. Joe Wiley and New Shelby Church.
• Fish fry Marshall Academy will have a fish fry at the school field house from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Kenny Dickerson will be cooking his famous fish. Includes slaw, hushpuppies, French fries and a homemade dessert. Contact any senior parent for tickets. All proceeds benefit Project Graduation.
• Class reunion meeting for St. Mary’s, Cadet and Holy Family will be held at Oliver Peyton’s home, 4087 Riverdale, Memphis, Tenn. For directions call 901-292-0698 or 252-5364. Please come!
• Birthday tea Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Sun., March 30, 3 p.m. Rev. Charles Shack and Beckley Chapel CME Church of Booneville will be our guests. Everyone is invited. Rev. Jerry L. Christian Jr., pastor.
• Men and Women’s Day Kimbrough Chapel Church, 8 a.m., with guest speaker Rev. G.T. Thompson and St. John Church. The public is invited. Host pastor, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr.
• Homecoming New Hope Baptist Church Hwy. 72 Slayden will be having their annual Sunday March 30. Featured singing group will be the Ross Family from Mifflin, Tenn. Fellowship dinner will be served after morning church services then singing will follow. Bro. Billy Adair and congregation invite everyone to come and help celebrate their 20th homecoming.
• Revival First Baptist Church of Holly Springs will have a revival March 30 through April 2, led by Dr. Clarence Cooper and Ronnie Cottingham. Join us for nightly services. Sunday services, 10:15 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Monday, March 31 through Wednesday, April 2, the services will be held at 7 p.m.
• REUNION Holly Springs High School Class of 1998 will be having a reunion planning meeting Sunday, March 30 at 5 p.m. at Pizza Hut.
• Singing Jones Grove will have a “Gospel Explosion” at 6 p.m. Several groups, choirs, and male choruses will perform. Everyone is invited. Sponsored by Rev. Powell.
• Singing First Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant, March 30, 5 p.m. with the Thomas’ gospel singers and other local singers. Rev. Don LeBelle is pastor.
• Men and Women’s Day program The Mt. Sinai COGIC of Mt. Pleasant will be having their annual Men and Women’s Day program at 3 p.m. Special guests will be Elder Edmunds and New Philadelphia Friendship Temple of Memphis. Pastor Elder Curtis Pritchard and congregation invite everyone.
• Friends of the Library will meet Tues., April 1, 12 noon, at the Marshall County Library. Speaker will be Dr. J. John Portera of West Point. Portera is an author, a retired cosmetic dental surgeon and carves exotic hardwood and does bronze sculptures. Refreshments will be served.
• Disney’s Beauty & The Beast will be performed at Marshall Academy April 3 and 4, 7 pm., featuring the MA Patriot Performers and MA elementary. Admission is $5.
• Quick Bites program “The Conscientious Gardener,” by Dr. Lelia Kelly, Consumer Horticulture Specialist, MSU-ES will be held at noon, Thursday, April 3 at the Marshall Co. Extension Service, 810 Hwy. 178 East in Holly Springs. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Fish fry Cayce Fire Dept., 30 Lee Creek Rd., April 4, 4:30-7 p.m. Sheriff Kenny Dickerson and crew will do the cooking. Fire dues will also be accepted from members at the door. For more info. call 851-7384, 851-7634 or 851-7922.
• Spaghetti supper Victoria United Methodist Church and Red Banks UMC Church is having a spaghetti supper at 5 p.m. For more information call 901-861-0316.
• Love program for Bro. Robert Pool Jr. who lost his home in a fire. Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, 2997 Hwy. 4 West, Sat., April 5. For more info. call Verlene Sims, 564-1248, 662-660-3662 or the church, 252-1038.
• Yard sale Sponsored by Hudsonville CME Church, at the Multi-Purpose Building, N. Memphis St., Sat., April 5, 7 a.m. until. Come see for yourself!
• SPECIAL SERVICES April 6-8: The Apostolic Church of Jesus, located 178 Stonewall Road, Byhalia, will be in revival with evangelist Crockett Kennedy from Hattiesburg. He will be teaching and ministering on “The Tabernacle in the Wilderness.” He will set the tabernacle up in the church. There will be special lighting and smoke effects. Service hours are April 6, 6:30 p.m.; April 7-8, 7:30 p.m. Pastor Garland Loveless and congregation invite everyone to attend these services.
• Rally Jones Grove will have a “Seven Seal Rally”, 2:30 p.m. Seven speakers will be speaking, Rev. Robert Smith, Rev. Michael Johnson, Rev. Nathaniel Johnson, Rev. Sam Swopshire, Rev. Cordaryl Patrick, and others. Everyone is invited. Sponsored by the Women’s Ministry.
• Homecoming Chewalla Baptist Church, April 6, 11 a.m. Revival will be held April 7-9, beginning at 7 p.m. nightly.
• Worship service First Sunday night worship service, April 6, 7 p.m. Rev. Arlean Luellen. Kimbrough Chapel Church, pastor Rev. J.W. Smith Jr.
• Water meeting Marshall County Water Association’s Annual Meeting will be held Arpil 7, at 6:30 p.m. at 512 Wingo Road.
• Quick Bites program “Don’t Spread Lead”, by Dr. Bobbie Shaffett, Associate Extension Professor, Family Resource Management, MSU will be held at noon, Thursday, April 10 at the Marshall Co. Extension office. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Meeting Marshall County Retired Education Personnel will meet Friday, April 11, 12 noon at Annie’s restaurant. Lawrence Autry will serve dinner to the retired teachers that day.
• Fish fry will be held at Emory Independent Methodist Church, 872 Watson Road, 5-7 p.m. Adults $10, children 5 and under $5, includes fish, French fries, hushpuppies, cole slaw and homemade desserts. All proceeds go toward the church mission trip 2009. For more information call 838-7878.
• Pastor and wife’s banquet Guest speaker, Rev. Marvin Brooks. Pastor, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr.
• Quick Bites program will be held at the Marshall Co. Extension Office on Thursday, April 17 at noon on “What’s in your Refrigerator?” by Dr. Jason Brehrends, Assistant Extension/Research Professor, Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Education, MSU. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Women’s Conference Smith Grove MB Church, April 18-19, Several outstanding speakers. For more info. call Sis. Easter Pigues, 662-895-8962 or Sis. Willie Stewart, 662-252-1303.
• Singing program Silver Stars, Sat., April 19, 5 p.m. The community is cordially invited.
• Pastor and Wife Pre-Anniversary program will be held at Mt. Gillian Ministries, 219 Valley View Drive, Victoria, 3 p.m. Pastor Corey Boyce and The Mt. Pleasant Church family from Jackson, Tenn. will be our special guests. Marvin D. Brooks is pastor.
• Pastor and wife anniversary Kimbrough Chapel Church, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr., pastor. Rev. Mark Bryson and New Liberty Institute Church will be guests. Time, 11 a.m. At 3 p.m. pastor and wife anniversary, Rev. Patrick Lewis and St. Matthew Baptist Church in Memphis, Tenn. as guests.
• Quick Bites program “Evaluation, Selection and Use of Meats” by Dr. Mike Martin, Assistant Professor, Animal and Dairy Sciences and Food Science Nutrition and Health Promotion, MSU will be held at the Marshall Co. Extension Office, Thursday, April 24 at noon. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Pastor and Wife Anniversary will be held at Mt. Gillian Ministries, 219 Valley View Drive, Victoria, 3 p.m. Pastor Shelton Rubin and the New Jeremiah Church family from Memphis, Tenn. will be the guests. Marvin D. Brooks is pastor.
• Super Sunday at Kimbrough Chapel Church, all day with three speakers and three guest churches. Begins at 2 p.m.
• May Day Parade Lessye L. Davis May Day parade, Sat., May 3. For more info. call Obera Muse Jones, 662-252-3232.
• Decoration Day/Reunion of the Red Banks Cemetery will be held at 9 a.m. Families with a Red Banks or cemetery connection are to bring a covered dish, supplies for cleaning and repairing gravesites. For more information, e-mail: email@example.com
• ATTENTION: Byhalia High School Classes 1977, 1978 and 1979 will have a combined class reunion on July 4-6. For more information, please contact: Class of 1977 - Gloria Malone, 901-491-2440; Class of 1978 - Lola Thomas, 662-401-1960; Class of 1979 - Juanita (Phillips) Smith, 662-838-3509.
• Time change Free Branch MB Church, Pastor A.V. Warren Jr., announces morning worship hour changes: first and third Sundays, 11 a.m., Sunday School 9:45 a.m.; second, fourth and fifth Sundays, 9 a.m., Sunday School the Wed. before those Sundays at 6 p.m., prior to Bible study. Bible study, Wed., 6 p.m.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, classes of 1980, ’81, ’82 and ’83 are planning a reunion. Please call Paula Wheeler-Davis, 838-7194, firstname.lastname@example.org; Vivian Rogers-Gulledge, 901-870-1210; Ruby Shaw Blackmon, 838-6996 or Martha Jones Rogers, 901-361-8480, for more details.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• RECOVERY PROGRAM The Most Excellent Way, a Bible-based Scriptural recovery program for all types of addictions. Women’s and co-dependent meetings every Tues., 7 p.m. Men’s group meeting every Thurs., 7 p.m. Meetings are at Longview Heights Baptist Church, 4501 Goodman Rd., Olive Branch. Contact Mary or Mike, 662-893-3912.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page