March 13, 2008
Calendar of Events
• SPAY/NEUTER PROGRAM The Marshall County Humane Society’s low cost spay/neuter program will be open at 646 Old Hwy. 78 E. Call 252-6196 for the necessary appointment.
• Singing New Garden Baptist Church, 7:30 p.m., featuring the Fishers of Men Quartet from Pontotoc. Church is located at 4831 Sycamore Rd., Wakefield community, eight miles from Independence. For more info. call 564-2680.
• Domino tournament Byhalia Lions Club will sponsor “Luck of the Irish” domino tournament at Northcentral Electric community building, Byhalia, with breakfast beginning at 7 a.m. For more information contact Dave Young, 901-488-5700.
• Walking horse classic, sponsored by the Holly Springs Chamber of Commerce, at the Marshall County Fairgrounds, Hwy 7 North, March 15, 5 p.m. Show benefits the Chamber of Commerce and the Holly Springs Rotary Club Scholarship Fund.
• Singing Clear Creek Baptist Church hosts Saturday night singing with Mike DeVore as featured guests. Fellowship will be at 6 p.m. and singing at 7 p.m. Bro. Jim Polk is pastor. Everyone is invited.
• Meeting The Holly Springs High School Class of 1999 will hold their first class reunion meeting on Saturday, March 15. The meeting will be held at the Marshall County Library, located in Holly Springs, at 12 p.m. If you have questions please contact Chereda King at (662) 298-4417.
• Canine Obedience classes, postponed from March 8 due to bad weather, will begin at 9 a.m. at the Holly Springs Fire Department. The six-week class offered by K-9 Search One teaches dogs basic good manners, and how to respond to simple commands. Bring dog, choke chain collar, leash, and rabies/distemper/parvo virus shot records to first class. Call 252-1004 for more information.
• March madness tournament Hudsonville CME Church will have their March Madness Tournament, March 15, continuing on March 22 and 29. All teams are invited. The doors will open at 9 a.m. All children there before 10 a.m. will get in free. Concessions will be open at cost. For more info. call Patricia Glass, 252-9708.
• MEETING The Marshall Republican Club will have its regular monthly meeting, Sat., 10 a.m. at the Marshall County Library in Holly Springs. The public is invited.
• Meeting Class reunion organizational meeting for the Potts Camp Class of 1958, Sat., March 15, 12 noon at JB’s Restaurant.
• Rummage sale The Marshall County Humane Society will have a giant rummage sale, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. at the intersection of Stewart St. and Van Dorn in Holly Springs, just east of the railroad overpass. Proceeds will be for the benefit of the spay/neuter program.
• 12 Tribes of Israel Free Branch MB Church, pastored by Rev. A.V. Warren Jr., Sun., March 16, 11 a.m. Pastor Warren will deliver the message. The community is cordially invited. Worship services, first and third Sundays, 11 a.m.; and second, fourth and fifth Sundays, 9 a.m. Bible study, Wed., 6 p.m.
• Pastor’s Love Day Rising Star MB Church, March 16, 11 a.m. Guest speaker, Pastor Keith Pendleton and Mt. Zion Taska Church family. Pastor, Robert McClain.
• SINGING UNION West Holly Springs Singing Union will be held at Smith Grove MB Church, Sun., March 16, 3 p.m. Host pastor, W.C. Conner.
• Speaker Elder Morris Riddle of St. Louis, Mo. will be speaking at Gray’s Chapel CME Church, Mar. 16, 11 a.m. Pastor, Harold Stanfield. Everyone is invited.
• Anniversary Friendship Assembly of God hosts 28th Anniversary Special. Sunday School starts at 9 a.m. and morning service at 10 a.m. Special services will be conducted by Pastor Armando Arauz from Pasadena, TX and the Drama Team Transformed of Friendship will present “East to West.” Everyone is welcome. For more information call 662-838-4000.
• Easter Egg hunt First Southern Baptist Church in Victoria will have an Easter egg hunt after the morning worship service for ages 12 and under.
• ATTENTION! Byhalia High School Classes of 1977, 1978 and 1979 will having a very important reunion meeting, 3 p.m. at St.Paul M.B. Church, Hwy. 309 South. Please plan to attend.
• REVIVAL Smith Grove MB Church, March 17-21, 7 p.m. Many churches are invited for the week. Communitywide, everyone is invited.
• Holy Week services Gray’s Chapel CME Church will have Holy Week services, Mar. 17-19, 7 p.m. Everyone is invited. Easter sunrise service will be held at 6 a.m.
• MEETING Holly Springs Band Booster club meeting, Mon., March 17, 5 p.m. in the band hall. All band members’ parents are asked to please attend.
• MEETING The Marshall County Humane Society will have its monthly meeting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, Hwy. 7 South, in Holly Springs. You need not be a member to attend. Special guest speaker to discuss “How obedience training can help your dog.”
• SPAY/NEUTER PROGRAM The Marshall County Humane Society’s low cost spay/neuter program will be open for the last time at 646 Old Hwy. 78 E. Call 252-6196 for the necessary appointment.
• Meeting The Lessye Lee Davis 4-H Club will meet at 6 p.m. at the Marshall County Library.
• CATTLE EXCHANGE MEETING. A Cattle Exchange meeting will be held Thursday, March 20, at 6:30 p.m. for all interested cattle producers. Location: Marshall Co. Extension Office, 810 Hwy 178 East in Holly Springs. Call 662-252-3541 to make reservations. Dr. Rocky Lemus, Extension forage specialist from Mississippi State University, will speak on forages.
• Quick Bites The Marshall County Extension Service offers a Quick Bites program, Thurs., March 20, at noon. Topic will be “Signs of Spring.” Other programs will be scheduled in March and April, so watch for upcoming dates. No charge. Call 662-252-3541 to register.
• Good Friday Service Barton United Methodist Church, 3229 Hwy. 309 in Barton invites everyone to attend their Good Friday service, March 21, 12 noon.
• Book signing “The Strawberry Story,” Strawberry MB Church, 2 p.m. Book available for purchase.
• Breakfast with the Easter Bunny. Come and go, 8-10 a.m., First United Methodist Church fellowship hall. Relay For Life fund-raiser. Sponsored by Beta Sigma Phi sorority. $10 per child includes photo with the Easter Bunny and breakfast. Call for reservations by March 17: Suzanne Lafever, 252-5574, Deles Farley, 252-3897. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
• Easter Sunrise service, Kimbrough Chapel Church, 6 a.m.
• Easter service Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Easter morning, March 23, 10 a.m. Fellowship breakfast will be served from 8:45-9:30 a.m. Pastor, Rev. Jerry Christian Jr. Sponsored by the Sunday School and Brotherhood.
• Friday night fight night, Kimbrough Chapel Church, with guest speaker Rev. Joe Wiley and New Shelby Church.
• Fish fry Marshall Academy will have a fish fry at the school field house from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Kenny Dickerson will be cooking his famous fish. Includes slaw, hushpuppies, french fries and a homemade dessert. Contact any senior parent for tickets. All proceeds benefit Project Graduation.
• Class reunion meeting for St. Mary’s, Cadet and Holy Family will be held at Oliver Peyton’s home, 4087 Riverdale, Memphis, Tenn. For directions call 901-292-0698 or 252-5364. Please come!
• Birthday tea Yarbrough Chapel CME Church, Sun., March 30, 3 p.m. Rev. Charles Shack and Beckley Chapel CME Church of Booneville will be our guests. Everyone is invited. Rev. Jerry L. Christian Jr., pastor.
• Men and Women’s Day Kimbrough Chapel Church, 8 a.m., with guest speaker Rev. G.T. Thompson and St. John Church. The public is invited. Host pastor, Rev. J.W. Smith Jr.
New Hope Baptist Church Hwy. 72 Slayden will be having their annual • Homecoming Sunday March 30. Featured singing group will be the Ross Family from Mifflin, Tenn. Fellowship dinner will be served after morning church services then singing will follow. Bro. Billy Adair and congregation invite everyone to come and help celebrate their 20th homecoming.
• Spaghetti supper Victoria United Methodist Church and Red Banks UMC Church is having a spaghetti supper at 5 p.m. For more information call 901-861-0316.
• SPECIAL SERVICES APRIL 6-8: The Apostolic Church of Jesus, located 178 Stonewall Road, Byhalia, will be in revival with evangelist Crockett Kennedy from Hattiesburg. He will be teaching and ministering on “The Tabernacle in the Wilderness.” He will set the tabernacle up in the church. There will be special lighting and smoke effects. Service hours are April 6, 6:30 p.m.; April 7-8, 7:30 p.m. Pastor Garland Loveless and congregation invites everyone to attend these services.
• Meeting Marshall County Retired Education Personnel will meet Friday, April 11, 12 noon at Annie’s restaurant. Lawrence Autry will serve dinner to the retired teachers that day.
• Decoration Day/Reunion of the Red Banks Cemetery will be held at 9 a.m. Families with a Red Banks or cemetery connection are to bring a covered dish, supplies for cleaning and repairing gravesites. For more information, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• ATTENTION: Byhalia High School Classes 1977, 1978 and 1979 will have a combined class reunion on July 4-6. For more information, please contact: Class of 1977 - Gloria Malone, 901-491-2440; Class of 1978 - Lola Thomas, 662-401-1960; Class of 1979 - Juanita (Phillips) Smith, 662-838-3509.
• Time change Free Branch MB Church, Pastor A.V. Warren Jr., announces morning worship hour changes: first and third Sundays, 11 a.m., Sunday School 9:45 a.m.; second, fourth and fifth Sundays, 9 a.m., Sunday School the Wed. before those Sundays at 6 p.m., prior to Bible study. Bible study, Wed., 6 p.m.
• 30 year reunion Sand Flat School (now H.W. Byers) class of 1978 is planning a 30-year reunion. Please contact Velma Garrison Tate at 662-851-7954.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, classes of 1980, ’81, ’82 and ’83 are planning a reunion. Please call Paula Wheeler-Davis, 838-7194, email@example.com; Vivian Rogers-Gulledge, 901-870-1210; Ruby Shaw Blackmon, 838-6996 or Martha Jones Rogers, 901-361-8480, for more details.
• REUNION Byhalia High School, class of 1987-88 is planning a reunion. For more info. call Angelo Hardin-Poole, 901-268-0135, Shelia Liggins-Sims, 901-602-9560 or Melissa Shipp-Bowles, 901-849-8623.
• BUS MINISTRY The Apostolic Church of Jesus is now offering a bus ministry. If you need a ride to church, please call Bro. Bobby, cell, 662-560-3946 or home, 662-562-6765; or Pastor Garland Loveless, 662-838-8110. Services are Sun. morning, 10 a.m.-12 noon, Sun. evening, 6:30 p.m. and Wed. evening, 7:30 p.m.
• Awana at Red Banks Baptist Church. Every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Please call 544-0531 for van transportation. Supper, $5 per person, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
• RECOVERY PROGRAM The Most Excellent Way, a Bible-based Scriptural recovery program for all types of addictions. Women’s and co-dependent meetings every Tues., 7 p.m. Men’s group meeting every Thurs., 7 p.m. Meetings are at Longview Heights Baptist Church, 4501 Goodman Rd., Olive Branch. Contact Mary or Mike, 662-893-3912.
• AA MEETING - New, open to public: AA meeting, every Tues. and Fri. night, 8 p.m., in Ashland at the Women’s Bldg. at the Fairgrounds. If you want to drink that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help. For more info. call 662-224-6151.
• CEMETERY MAINTENANCE Spring Hill Baptist Church has started a maintenance fund for cutting grass in the cemetery. If you would like to make a donation toward this fund in memory or in honor of a loved one, we would appreciate your help. The cemetery is maintained only by donations. Please make your donation to Spring Hill Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, Maxine Palmer, P.O. Box 55, Waterford, MS 38685.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page