Thursday, February 22, 2007
Peanut butter & salmonella
Sandy Tuttle and I are in trouble!
Sandy called me a week or so ago, laughing at the memories my peanut butter and pickle sandwiches evoked.
She’s a former Yankee, like my mother, and was very familiar with my “summertime treat!”
She and I talked a minute about the fact that we had both introduced our grandchildren to “the treat” and how much they liked it. Sandy even had introduced the sandwiches at the deer camp she and her husband Jim own.
And now, they’re yanking peanut butter off the shelves! Seems like Skippy and a store brand are carrying salmonella!
The following was “borrowed” from the MS-NBC website:
The website went on to briefly discuss salmonella and another “peanut butter poisoning:”
“Salmonella sickens about 40,000 people a year in the U.S. and kills about 600. It can cause diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting. The only known salmonella outbreak in peanut butter — in Australia during the mid-1990s — was blamed on unsanitary plant conditions.”
Next week it’ll surely be kosher dill pickles!
Did you have any of the peanut butter in your pantry? My pantry had a jar with the “2111 code.”
It’s a half-eaten jar!
• On the front page this week, there is a story about some folks from a church in Kentucky — Paducah, Kentucky!
If I ever were to leave Mississippi and go north, it would be to Paducah!
Not only is it a beautiful city, in a beautiful state, but it’s chock-full of quilt and fabric stores and museums. What more can you ask?
There’s not much danger that I will be moving though. Not only do I love where I live, Paducah is “north!”
I’ve had enough cold weather the past couple weeks to do me for a couple more years.
Here’s hoping that the groundhog was right and spring is just around the corner!
And let’s make sure Mr. Groundhog doesn’t get hold of any peanut butter!
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Site managed and maintained by