Thursday, November 8, 2007
Local veterans to share experiences on Happy Hour
The fabulous dual Christmas tours of “Holly Springs Holiday Houses and the Christmas in Marshall County” will be held on Dec. 1 and 2, and “Christmas in Marshall County” on Dec. 8 and 9. Ten lovely homes will be visited. The homes will be dressed in holiday splendor.
Alexander Calvin McEwen, who came here in 1834, when the newly-opened territory had started up with the Chickasaw Cession, built the home. His daughter, Elizabeth, married W.O. Featherston in 1858.
In 1900, Oscar Johnson inherited the Walter Place at the same time he bought Featherston Place, Polk Place, Dunvegan and Alicia (three of these are raised cottage type houses). He incorporated them into guesthouses for his overflow of guests who would come on the train in his private railroad car from St. Louis for his grand parties at Walter Place.
All the houses were rescued from obscurity as Johnson employed one of the leading architects in the nation, Theodore Link of St. Louis, to put his magic touch on Holly Springs.
Theodore Link also put his genius on the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Railway Station, the Mississippi State Capitol, etc. One of his trademarks were moats around the houses and triple round and square corner posts on the porches.
In 1917, Oscar Johnson died at age 51 and his widow sold the property to M.A. Green, who in turn sold it to George Buchanan. Mr. Buchanan was the mayor of Holly Springs for many years. The banquet-size dining room downstairs served as a showplace for dignitaries visiting the mayor.
After that, the mayor’s son, Jim Bright Buchanan, owned the house and he later became the mayor of Holly Springs, also.
Jorja and Michael Lynn now own the house.
Galena Plantation is a new working plantation where history is repeating itself, as it is located on the grounds of the old Coxe Plantation. Bill and Joan Fitch are the owners of it and have done a complete restoration on the houses, which are log cabins from around the neighborhood. The main log house originally belonged to Nathan Bedford Forrest and it was moved from Hernando.
It is dressed in delightful holiday décor by Mrs. Fitch, who has the talent with a special touch. The plantation consists of 7,000 acres and Mr. Fitch uses it for horseback field trials, which are held throughout the year in hunts of quail, deer and turkey. Celebrities visit here all year.
Tickets for the tours may be purchased in advance for a reduced rate. Tickets must be bought before Nov. 24 and will be $25 each, or if bought in groups of ten or more the tickets will be $22 each. The week of the tour, the tickets will be $30 each.
On “Swanee’s Good News Happy House,” this week, I will have as guest Bill Renick, head of the IDA of the county, and Jim Dunworth will read poetry that he composed. Music will be by sopranos Cindy Finch and Carole Jean Taylor with Mississippi songs.
Please come by and see us at the Square Museum, 111 Van Dorn Ave., Holly Springs, MS, 252-7977, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
By the way, we have ordered our second order of Mississippi-made jellies from Pontotoc Ridge. You need to come by soon, we don’t keep these delicious jams or jellies in stock very long, especially the Sweet Potato Butter. Yum-yum.
On Swanee’s Mississippi Good News Happy Hour this week, in honor of Veterans Day I have invited local veterans from World War II to share their experiences. George Bishop, Boyd Moore, Dennis Carlisle and others will be there.
If you have something to share about your part in history please call the musuem at 252-3669 or come to WKRA radio station on Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page