Thursday, November 1, 2007
Snow Lake News
Budget discussed at special meeting; garbage fees increase
Daylight Savings Time will end this coming weekend, at 2 a.m., Sunday morning, the 4th of November. Don’t forget to set your clocks back one hour before going to bed Saturday night. The “Fall Back” hour will also bring the bonus of an extra hour of sleep, for those who enjoy it.
This time of year will start to bring to an end the beautiful warm evenings of cruising on the lake or the outdoor cookouts and walking visits that we all enjoy. Of course, we can dress warmly for an occasion and still enjoy the early evenings with friends around the fire, if you happen to have a fire pit.
Remember though, we are a “Firewise Community” and please practice safety when enjoying this outdoor pleasure. Keep a water hose handy for accidental emergencies and make sure all leaves are raked away from the fire area. Just be prudent and enjoy yourselves!
A special town meeting was held last Wednesday, October 24 to discuss the 2008 budget. Mayor Pierpont presided, with alderwoman Lott, alderwoman Simpson and alderman Bledsoe in attendance; with aldermen Morton and Roser absent. After announcing that the budget had been approved, Mayor Pierpont gave our town some good news and a little bit of bad news. She was pleased to announce that in 2008, there will not be any increase of our mills (taxes). Due to the increase in gasoline prices, our garbage contractor has increased our monthly trash pick-up fee, resulting in a $2 per month increase in our water bill. Also as a result of the high cost of gasoline for the town, we will also have a small increase in our water bill. As you know, these two fees are combined in one billing. Even with this small increase, we are still fortunate to live in a beautiful lake community with such a reasonable cost of living. Our daughter who lives in the Mid-South also received an increase, but hers was for over twelve dollars a month.
Our fire chief called and left a message that he wanted me to return his call to talk about smoke alarms, but we were not able to have a conversation before press time. But as a reminder, please check your smoke alarms, especially during this time of year when you are using gas in your homes. After losing our home to a fire, I strongly suggest that you have a smoke alarm in every room. Our fire started with the wires between the walls and spread very fast. Smoke alarms are the cheapest life-saving device you can purchase.
Hubby is still recuperating from his surgery, so we missed Pot Luck this past Saturday night; but I heard that it was well attended and the food was outstanding as usual. If you have never attended Pot Luck, or you have gotten out of the habit of attending, come and join some happy folks for the best of fellowship, plus some wonderful heart warming food.
The next town meeting will be held on November 5 at 7 p.m. in your community center. Come early and bring a mug of coffee as you join your friends for some chitchat before the meeting. Then find out what is going on in your community, followed by more chitchat afterward. See you there.
Sadly, Snow Lake lost another wonderful resident last week. Dewey Long, our much loved friend who has lived here for over twenty-five years, died a few days ago at the home of Laurie and Hut. Dewey Loved Snow Lake and wanted to remain in his home, so Laurie and Hut graciously watched over him very closely, and happily served him dinner every evening in their home. The night of his death was very special for Dewey; it was his eighty-fourth birthday and he enjoyed his birthday dinner with his best friends. Immediately after giving his love and thanks to Laurie and Hut, he peacefully left this world in Laurie’s arms. Dewey Long will be greatly missed by us all.
Leslie Zarnstorff had a heart attack recently and we wish him a speedy recovery. Ed Koen has not been feeling well lately, but as we all know Ed, he won’t be down long.
Peace and love to you all as we are about to enter into our annual holiday season and let’s try to help one another if even in the smallest way.
You’ll be glad you did! firstname.lastname@example.org
News: (662) 252-4261 or email@example.com
Questions, comments, corrections: firstname.lastname@example.org
©2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
Back | Top of Page